Thread: Beige Freezes Booting from Hard Drive and Installer CD

Default Beige Freezes Booting from Hard Drive and Installer CD

Beige boots to desktop picture and a few items on what would become the right of the menu bar, then freezes every time, before the complete menu bar is drawn. DiskWarrior and TechTool do not help. Read and write disk scan finds no errors in media. Deleted OS X from drive. Now during clean install, freezes every time at about the same place on Install Disk 2

Gurufied Beige running Mac OS X 10.2.8 upgraded with XLR8 G4, 768MB RAM, Ratoc FireWire/USB2, Redeon graphics. (Freezes on both the Radeon and built-in graphics.)

My suggestions:

Open Firmware reset.

Initialize/write zeroes to drive.

PCI card removal/slot swapping.

RAM test.

Lose Jaguar, and install Panther/Tiger via X PostFacto.

Lightbulb

With OS 9, that could signal extension conflict or even old/incompatible firmware on a controller.

I suffered through 10.2.8 combo freezing at the end. Why? just because Jaq on Beige wasn't really well written or tested probably. not because of hardware or mix of RAM (Tiger ran better and was easier to install and run).

With OS X, fsck your system, and (hopefully you have Applejack already installed) use that to repair permissions etc.

I find it easier to do minimal install and then just install packages and programs you need later. Trouble is, Jaguar won't queue installs and you need to reboot too often.

Panther req'd all new extension/drivers and applications. Tiger took another upgrade cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by TZ
    With OS 9, that could signal extension conflict or even old/incompatible firmware on a controller.
    Beware of possible problems with duplicate/incorrect ATI extensions on 9, and conflicts between the on-board video/Radeon PCI in X.

Default Video Conflicts

> conflicts between the on-board video/Radeon PCI in X.

Is that only a worry when running dual monitors, or can running the Radeon while nothing is plugged into the on-board video cause problems? The symptoms have been the same regardless of which card was being used.

I have wiped out the drive and am about to write zeros to it.

I think it's more common with X. I've seen threads where some have had problems with the on-board Rage chip even with nothing connected.

I ran dual displays on 9.2.2/10.3.9 with no problems, but that was with a 9200 PCI in a Rev B DT. Both displays were on the 9200.

Default Thousand Thanks.

Resetting Open Firmware and totally wiping and zeroing the drive before reinstalling has my beloved Beige working again. Didn't have to mess with the PC cards or extensions. Thank you everyone for always helping me out of a mess. Beige is eternal!

Cool. I like happy endings. Glad to be of assistance.

My Beige did damn good with 10.3.9. So good in fact that the Sawtooth doesn't seem any faster. Just smoother.

Default XPostFacto Here I Come

Yowser! Any idea where I could get a license for 10.3.9 on the cheap?

Default Back to the Future -- More Trouble

I've been running Software Update one update at a time to be safe. All went well until I ran the last three at once --Java, iTunes, and iPod Updater-- and now I'm exactly back to where I started, freezing as the menu bar first draws! At least I've narrowed the possibilities. Any thoughts on how to deinstall them, or which one is making the trouble?

I would download the combo updates, and burn 'em onto a disk. I keep software update disabled, and check for issues before updating anything. I don't like to be an unpaid beta tester.

I never used Jaguar. I started with Panther/ X PostFacto. At one point I had updated to QuickTime 7, and iTunes 5. I had issues with that combo so I went back to QT6, and iTunes 4. Everything is fine now.

I never had the hangs/freezes you're having, but did have the SBOD with Disk Utility occasionally, and other wierdness.

Only update one thing at a time, and run that way for some time before the next one to make sure it's stable. Keep a clone of your last stable system on a second drive in case you step over the line. Carbon Copy Cloner is your friend.

You should still be able to find a copy of Panther somewhere I would think. You could always go for Tiger too. The only reason i don't is I have hardware I depend on that's stuck at Panther. No biggie since I don't have much interest in Spotlight or Dashboard. Spotlight is for people who never used 9.

Default iTunes 6.0.4 Not Compatible with 10.2.8 on Beige; Bad FireWire

Running fsck yielded lots of missing file counts and even more missing directory records.

On a whim, I booted into Mac OS 9 from a TechTool Pro CD and with help from Sherlock (anyone remember Sherlock?!) deleted everything with "iTunes" in its name, along with a huge "Lost & Found" folder. Seems to be working perfectly again. I probably never needed a new install, but only to delete iTunes, which must have snuck on from Software Update.

One new problem, maybe: Upon waking from sleep, a FireWire Compact Flash drive is wrongly reported as having been improperly removed, with possible lost data. This issue may not be new. In previous configurations, the computer was set never to go to sleep, so I would not have seen this before.

I'm not the person to ask about sleep problems. My machine runs 24/7 other than when it's shut down for maintenence, upgrades, or electrical storms which are rare here. Only the display sleeps after 1 hr.