Thread: G5/2.5 dual, won't boot!

Unhappy G5/2.5 dual, won't boot!

I've got a G5/2.5 dual that's about a year old. Two weeks ago it stopped booting-up, without warning. I unplugged my only peripheral which was a printer. I can run a hardware test but cannot get the machine to boot-up from any disk at all... have tried several OS's, all with the same result. Kernal panic or gray Apple start-up screen... nothing more. I've pulled the drive, reformatted and loaded a new OS (10.4.5) using my G5/1.8 dual but I continue getting the same results, though it runs nicely on the 1.8. I've replaced the RAM with the same pieces that work just fine in my other machine, I've reseated the processors, pram reset, PMU reset, even re-booted in Target mode and repaired disk permissions using my G4 PowerBook. I just cannot get this machine to do ANYTHING! Oh yes, one more thing... I have tried booting-up from the option screen to no avail as well as trying to boot into safe mode and verbose mode with no luck either. In fact I've tried "control-s", "control-v" and the "shift key" right after the start-up chime but this only produces a kernel panic. I've also tried booting off of my PowerBook book while it was in Target mode as well as booting off of a firewire drive but neither produced any result other than the Apple start-up screen... never goes any further. Any help, please! Thanks.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Remove ram. remove power cord. remove battery. Reset cuda/ PMU, push pwr button. insert pwr cord and boot yes without ram if you get a beep then ur back in business. put ram back in.

that might help but to be honest your symptoms are a little different than what that fixed for me
    Damien,

Thanks for your post Damien... using your suggestion I pulled the memory, battery, hard drive and optical drive as well as the video card (nothing left to chance). I unplugged the power cord, reset the PMU and pressed the power button. I then plugged the machine in and hit the power on. I didn't get any tones at all and the LED over the power button blinks consistently. Hmmm, I'm thinking that it just may be possessed!