Thread: When all else fails.....

Default When all else fails.....

Any ideas most appreciated..... this has stumped me!

I'm trying to post to another (unrelated) forum, but it appears to be a 'PC' only forum..... i.e., they won't let me post a message using Safari, nor will they let me post using latest vsn of Netscape. They want one to post using vsn 6 of I.E. (of course, there is no vsn 6 of I.E. for Mac, only vsn 5).

My wife has Virtual PC and Windows XP installed on her lap top, and that hasn't worked either.

Isn't there SOME way to have Safari 'mimic' another browser so that I can post a message to this other forum? It's driving me batty

Boyd 9

Yes and no.

You can mimic other browsers to pass a validation test, but you can't get Safari or other Mac browsers to perform functions that may be requried by the site that are unique to IE 6 or newer.

There are several shareware or freeware apps that let you turn on the debugger menu in Safari and let it "pretend" to be IE, or you can do the same with Opera right out of the box, in fact I think that is the default setting.

At work some users need to log in to Wells Fargo accounts, and *Only* Netscape 7.2 or IE 5.2.3 work on a Mac. Tried Opera and Safari pretending to be IE, tried various flavors of Firefox, Camino, Moozilla, etc. Nothing else will draw the boxes on the screen.

This is one of the biggest things that Mac/Linux users simply cannot do if a web page developer chooses to make their pages IE only. Simply locked out.

Let's see if anyone else has any other tricks or tips to get you in.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default As Mr. Spock Says......

There ARE always alternatives, it seems, eh? Maybe one of the other solutions will work in this particular case..... I appreciate the tips, UncleMac.

Also on the plus side, list owner contacted me and said that he would be adding some improvements ('controls' he called them) to the site in the next couple weeks, and that maybe that would do the trick for me. Will have to wait and see.......

In the meantime, thanks for the advice, it gives me a place to start!

Boyd 9

I am no web guru, but if it will work with Firefox on Windows, I would expect that you would be set with (at least) Firefox on a Mac. FF is buzz compliant in the PC world and has earn a rep (may or may not be true) of being more secure for Win users....who need all the help they can get. Any web page admin/developer should be very aware that even PC folks will be trying to use FF.

FF is up to something like 12+% of web traffic last I heard, which is not too shabby, considering at its peak IE was something like 96%.

Don't you love monopolies?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Firefox a 'no go'

I tried Firefox, unclemac, but unfortunately that didn't work either.

Since the list owner will be doing 'upgrades' in the next week or two, maybe I could convince him to try making it Firefox compliant.

Monopolies are INDEED are wonnerful thing, eh? Depends upon your point of view I guess..... as in, if you're the one in charge of the monopoly, of course they're wonderful, right?

reminds me of the old joke (surely heard by everyone here too often): MS-DOS stands for Micro Soft Dominates Our Society....... and they're still trying to do just that all these years later......

Nuff Said. I'll shut my trap now!

Boyd 9

P.S. I asked the list owner how other Macintosh users post to the forum, and he didn't have an answer for me, either. Maybe I'll try again with the Virtual PC on the wife's laptop...... (arrrrrrrgh!!!)

Default Success!

FWIW, the forum I was trying to post a question to updated their website and now Firefox works - - great!

Unfortunately, it's an income-tax related forum...... too late for this year, but on the other hand, I'm WAY ahead for next year!

Thanks again

Boyd 9