Thread: Troubled Quicksilver

Confused Troubled Quicksilver

Problem is that when I start the QS all I get is the Apple logo with no spinning circle or anything else and it hangs there. Tried all the normal troubleshooting tips; i.e.-removing power, removing battery, resetting PMU, resetting PRAM, etc. Also tried booting from install CD and Disk Warrior CD with same results.I placed the HD in the other QS I have and it booted up normally. In addition, I have replaced/removed the following with same result: video card, power supply, hard drive, RAM. I am at a loss as to what else to do. It leads me to believe that the motherboard somehow is the culprit but sure hope not. Anyone have any other suggestions/ideas.
    System is QS 933MHz running 10.3.9, 1.5GB RAM, ATI 9000 video card, UL2D SCSI controller, Acard 133MHz ATA card.
    Thanks in advance for any/all responses.
    Last edited by aoidh; 02-27-2006 at 11:48 AM.

1. UL2D SCSI controller - isn't officially supported in any way.
    pull it and see.

2. always, when trouble begins, reset nvram.

3. there is a tip in the FAQ Index on how to unplug and clear a system that won't boot.

Thanks for the reply, TZ. I guess I forgot to put in my original post that I took out the UL2D card. I did definitely follow the guidelines that you have suggested/pointed out. In fact, I have them posted next to my computers so as to not forget. I am just not understanding why the QS would boot up past the gong if something were wrong with the motherboard and/or processor. The only other thing I have not tried is to replace the battery.

I had a similar experience with a QS that I had a drive installed on the OEM ATA bus....running fine. Added a SATA and got about the same as you are seeing, although it hung a bit sooner before the Apple logo. Same when booting to CD/DVD....a hardware issue of for sure.

Pulling the SATA card resolved it. Machine is rock solid on the ATA bus again, and the SATA card worked fine in a different machine too. Coulda been firmware version or someting....did not pursue it so I can't say why.

I would say pull **everything** except known working video and RAM, and see what happens. Next, try swapping out RAM if you have extra sticks, although usually you would expect a panic if a RAM issue.

Luck.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I also have a weird Quicksilver that would spontaneously dismount drives whenever I had any ATA or SATA host card installed. Worked fine with UL3D alone though.

I agree with Unc, pull the ATA and SCSI card, boot to a CD with no hard drive attached and see what happens. RAM and video card only.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Rolleyes

Tried out your suggestions, unc and Rick, and still get same thing. I did make sure the ram and video card were good. Tried booting from OS X 10.3 cd and even tried OS 9.1. This is getting to be a royal pain. I guess what I need to do is just start over from scratch and write down everything I do, using established troubleshooting guides and the tips from you folks and pray I hit upon a combo that will work. Been using both QS systems to back up my video library to DVD and am only about maybe half way through. Just hope my MDD I am on right now holds up. So far have never had any kind of problems with it.
    Now I am glad I got it.

I have again gone through some initial troubleshooting steps to try to cure my problem. Paying very close attention to all the computer is doing/trying to do during the startup process, I noticed that I could not here my hard drive spinning up at all. If this has been happening all along, I missed it. So, that tends to show why I cannot get any farther than the logo since it has nothing from which to grab a system in order to run the machine. I am fixing to start pulling out what little hair I have left. Want to thank all of you for your responses.

Hang in there.

Just to be clear: No HD needed. Even with no HD, you should be able to boot to a CD. If it hangs on a boot CD, then the HD is not the issue. Well, it could be bad too, but that is a seperate issue.

It is my understanding that the Apple icon is loaded after the boot sequence (in firmware) has ID'd a bootable OS. Could be HD, CD, Firewire, even network via Netboot (not applicable here). Since you are getting as far as the Apple icon, a system was seen as bootable, but then something has stopped it.

Let's backup. You are sure your CD is bootable? You have booted this QS from it before? It is not scratched or damaged? Quick test: If the MDD will boot it, 99.999% chance the QS will too.

Just an FYI: because of both hardware and software changes, sometimes a bootable CD will not work with later (newer) machines.....so if you had an older boot CD that worked on a say an AGP G4, it may not work with the QS. But anything that works in any MDD will work on all older hardware - like a QS.

Now, if your MDD boots your CD, and the QS will not, in its base config with no third party hardware attached including no HD *at all*, then things look bad.

All we have left is voodoo resets, and other long shots, like doing the PMU again after all the hardware is out, reseating the CPU, try starting with *all* the RAM out to verify that you get 3 beeps, unplgging everything (USB, firewire, airport card...), etc. Rapidly slides into urban legend....but what have we left to lose?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Confused

Well, I have worked on this thing all day (much too long). Did all you said to do, unc, and still same thing. I thought once I had the problem licked as the video card started acting erratic. Finally just left it out and watched the CD/DVD indicator to see if it was booting from the CD. No go. I have tried more than one boot CD/DVD, including the restore DVD, DiskWarrior, etc. I am going to stay away from it for a time and try to get all my thoughts together and calm down some. You may be right about it winding up to be *bad news*. Oh well, I still have the other QS and the MDD. Thanks a million for your input and time.

Well, I am about out of tricks. There is the voodoo reset, but as I recall it has only shown some success on MDDs, though nothing left to lose at this point, unless someone has something else to try.

Greentree's Voodoo reset:

1) Remove everything: power cord, battery, PCI cards and all RAM

2) Press PMU reset button, wait 10 min.

3) Press Power button, wait 10 min.

4) Install battery, connect power cord (but not RAM) and press power button. You should get 3 beeps indicating no RAM installed.

5) Power down, reinstall RAM

6) Pray and boot up

OK, I added the prayer part. But the rest has revived several MDDs that were otherwise dead. Luck.

I believe this is only effective when one sees the power button light come on when pushed, and then go back off. I have seen this myself on seveal MDDs. Right from greentree's post:

if the pwr light comes on when u press the button then goes off when you let go you have to use the dubbed "voodoo" method to fix it. you may have to try it a good few times. but I assure you it will work
    Since this is not your symptom, I would be surpirsed if it helped. Sounds like jump starting the PMU, which does not appear to be the QSes problem.