Thread: Different DVI connections...

Default Different DVI connections...

Hello,

Is there any issue with DVI connectors that don't have the 4 little pins around the "wide" pin.

I apologize for my less than precise terminology, but the DVI connection appears to have an array of single pins on the right (i.e., when looking at the connector with the "wide" side up) and then there's a single flat connector on the left that sometimes has 4 pins around it in a configuration like:

-----

Where the asterisks ("*") represent the single pins and the dashed line is this wide connector.

Well, the Samsung 940T monitors I just picked up (mentioned in an earlier post) do _not_ have holes for those 4 pins (i.e., on the female connection on the monitor) and as such the DVI video cables I picked up won't attach.

I looked on the back of the Macs (both G4 and G5) and the DVI female connections on the video cards _do_ have holes that correspond to the 4 pins.

I'm rather bummed as I can't connect the monitors to the computer. Should I be aware of any incompatibility considerations?

Thanks in advance!

Iver

Hello Iver,

there are two versions of DVI out there:

DVI-I which is capable of analog AND digital signals too

DVI-A which is not that common and analog only

DVD-D Which is pure Digital

Some "high-end" DVD players have a DVI-D connector which is also known as HDCP (which is a copy protection). Those DVI-D ports don't have the 4 pins you mentioned, cuz they are for the analog signal.

Take a look here, which explains this very well (better than me )
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Best regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

and for each of the plugs Nicolas mentioned there is a single link and a dual link model...
    Damien,

Hiya!

Thank you for the info!

I did manage to determine that the 940T's were DVI-D (I'm a little disappointed that the salesperson didn't think of this while selling me the DVI-I cables...not to mention it's consipicuously unemphasized on their web site).

Is there much of an issue between Single-Link versus Dual-Link?

I picked up a pair of TrippLite Dual-Link DVI-D cables and am wiring the lot together.

BTW, I also nabbed a pair of Ergotron LX monitor arms:

http://www.ergotron.com

If this works out, it's going to be very nice...total reclamation of desktop! ;-)

Thanks again for the info!

Iver