Thread: Disk Error: "error code-51" in Mac OS X 10.4.4 Tiger

Default Disk Error: "error code-51" in Mac OS X 10.4.4 Tiger

I have a G5 dual processor tower with OS X 10.4.4 Tiger installed on it. The tower has 2 local hard drives and a RAID system (4 250GB hard drives) hooked up to it. Three of the four RAID hard drives appear on my desktop as 1 drive named "RAID". The fourth of the 4 RAID hard drives appears as another hard drive on my desktop named "Archive 03". When I try and copy a local file to the drive named "RAID", I receive the following error:

"Sorry, the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occurred (Error code -51)."

However, I am able to copy local files to the 4th RAID drive named "Archive 03".

I can open files from the drive named "RAID" and work on them in Photoshop (for example), but if I try to save my changes to the "RAID" drive, I will receive a message that says I can't save the file due to a disk error. However, I can save the opened file to either my local hard drives or the "Archive 03" drive.

Does anyone know what "error code -51" means and what I can do to fix this issue? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

While I'm no Guru on RAID setups if that is supposed to be a 4 drive stripe it appears to me that your RAID is hosed. A 4 drive stripe should show up as a single volume on the desktop.

Hello,

I guess it is a SATA software RAID?

Can we get more info please untill this is only a guessing game.

What card your using?

What RAID Level (0,1,3,5 etc)?

Software or hardware RAID?

If software RAID, which software has been used for creating the RAID?

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Default Further Info on RAID

I'm not an expert with RAIDs, so I'll answer these questions to the best of my ability. The RAID is set up in a SATA II Disk Drive/LCD Hot-Swap Raid System. Three of the 4 drives are configured as a RAID 5 Array. The 4th drive is configured like an external hard drive that can be swapped in and out.