Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dual 1 ghz Quicksilver will not boot and no chime.

Confused Dual 1 ghz Quicksilver will not boot and no chime.

A friend of mine has a dead quicksilver...and has asked me to help him.
    here is part of his email:

I received this non-working QuickSilver 2002 GHz Dual Processor DP PowerMac. I know very little about this system. It does power on and a small red light on the motherboard comes on, so I assume that the power supply is fine, but the Mac does not have that distinctive start-up chime. I did have another video card to try, but the monitor remained black.

I installed a working video card, a CD drive, a working stick of SDRAM and a working Hard drive. The HD, the fans, and the miniature light on the motherboard powered on. However, there was no Mac Chime and the monitor remained dark.

Does anyone on here know what this might be?

I also just recieved this email:

Hi, The Mac never booted up at any time during the several hours that I played with it. In order to boot it up using the CD, the monitor would have to come on. ... and it stayed black. I installed the CD player hoping that it would come in handy. There is no way to open the CD drawer that I know of if the monitor stays black without taking it out of the case. ... and if the Mac never chimes at startup, I'm not sure what good it would do, the Mac never gave me the startup chime, which to me indicates a major part is not functioning
    Last edited by rhapsodyosx; 09-20-2004 at 09:54 PM. Reason: addition info gathered

Pull all the components out, even RAM and video card, disconnect cables to hard drives as well. With the power cord removed, reset the PMU. Press it only one time. Then with only the CPU hooked up do a restart. You should get a tone and a series of beeps saying there is no ram.

At that point you can add in RAM, you should get a restart chime and no beeps.

Add back in a video card, then hard drive and so on. One at a time.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

You might also replace the battery. Totally different beast, but I have an old 9600 that would do the same thing until I replaced the battery. I could get it to boot one time after pushing the cuda/reset button, but then nothing on the next cold boot - no chime, no video.

If still no luck after doing what Rick suggested, there is another longshot. We had a couple members here who have some good luck to what has been named "the voodoo reset" as submitted by the member Greentree_uk, cause nobody knows why it works (sometimes).

Voodoo reset (cleaned up a bit):

Remove ram. Remove power cord. Remove battery. Reset cuda/ PMU, push power button. Insert power cord and boot (yes without ram). If you get a beep then you are back in business. Reinstall ram and power on.

If not as above, then press power and cuda together. I have had this issue with a good few G4's and this always fixes them. If not, then leave overnight with power, battery, and ram out. When you come in the morning press power button on front one last time, then plug in and power on
    Here is the original.

Very similar to what Rick suggested, but a notice a couple extra steps to try. I wanna say be sure not to walk under any ladders or cross the path of any black cats while you wait over night, but I have to hold my tongue, cause it has really worked for some.

Good luck.
    Last edited by unclemac; 09-21-2004 at 01:08 AM.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Lightbulb

Four hours off and no power is often necessary to drain any charge. In fact, a lot of problems with LaCie FW drives is requiring such extreme steps to get a FW device to work (side note: guess I'm not buying LaCie equipment!)

I would definitely go into Open Firmware to reset-nvram in such a case -- once you can get that far of course.

Default Motherboard/Logic Board

Do you guys think it could possibly be the motherboard/logic board? What is the likely hood of the machine needing a new motherboard. These can be costly, i know. He's pretty put out with the unit at the moment and ready to get rid of it

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Greentree's fix as suggested by Rick and Unclemac, worked for me on my dead MDD. I have since sold that Mac and the buyer has not had any problems.
    Damien,

Don't borrow trouble. It is almost never a motherboard. The probability is low so keep it low on your worry list.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Angry Is it a good thing if when I depress the power button it lights up....

I removed the ram and everything (and Reset cuda)try to boot (yes without ram), but didn't notice anything...although when I depress the power button it lights up, but when I let loose, the power button light goes out. is this a good thing or bad??
    Thanks for any help!

Confused bad sign?

I removed the ram and everything (and Reset cuda)try to boot (yes without ram), but didn't notice anything...although when I depress the power button it lights up, but when I let loose, the power button light goes out. is this a good thing or bad??
    Thanks for any help!

So did you do all the Voodoo steps? Notice that there is a sequence of steps that are listed. Since it has worked for others, be sure you do them all in order.... and keep fingers crossed.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default is this "ultra ata" bus in this 2002 quicksilver...

I'm confused...just a random question.

is this "ultra ata" bus in this 2002 quicksilver mac really an ata/100 or ata/66? Apple is vary vague on this subject.

Default Ata/66

rhapsodyosx,

It's ATA/66. See here.

Did you try a new battery?

biggles.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Default battery

where can i pick up a batter for this motherboard. I haven;t had much time to mess with it recently...so hopefully i will in the coming week. I hope i can get it going...i dont want to have to buy a new motherboard.

Thanks

Default G4 manual

rhapsodyosx,

here's a link to a .pdf download G4 manual. You'll find it at the bottom of the page in the "Extra and NEW manuals..." section, it's called PowerMac_G4.pdf and covers all Power Mac G4's up to and including the QS 2002.

There's a trouble-shooting chapter, and take-apart instructions too if you need them, at your own risk of course!

biggles.

Lightbulb

The MDD has two ATA buses, ATA/66 and ATA/100, both of which have 42-bit support for larger drives, two drives to each bus. And there is only a slight difference in benchmark, noticeable but small-ish.

Might wonder why it isn't ATA/133. The very latest ATA drives are now ATA7 and will not work in or backward compatible with ATA/33 bus protocol I think. Haven't read anything on it.

The QS/2002 units are probably Apple ATA/66 bus support >128GB anyway.

And that is just my guess.

Exclamation As far as it lighting up when pushed

It may light up but should only light up for a second, The last bits of stored power are then sucked from the Mac clearing memory, Thus giving you a fresh clean fluffy mother board to work with, Another thing you might want to do is make sure that your monitor is getting enough ppower and that the video card supports the neccessary video ram to supply that monitor. The monitor connection cable may also be bad. Not all problems lay in the tower

Default Monitor

I am pretty sure the video aspect is okay and not causing problems..but thanks for the suggestion. It may have come across wrong, but i meant when i push the power button (unit plugged in) the light comes on only as long as i physically leave the button pushed. As soon as i release the button it goes dark again.

rhapsodysox,

did you find the G4 manual? It has a pretty good trouble-shooting guide, and your symptoms suggest that as first steps you should check or replace the battery, reset the PMU (procedure is given step-by-step), and re-seat the CPU (Take Apart chapter gives full details of how to remove and replace it).

I suppose the Power Supply Unit could be implicated, and the manual also gives detailed procedures for removing and verifying the PSU.

biggles.

Rolleyes Startup trouble

Seems that this here thread gives a few more hints relating to my similar trouble with the QuickSr 933... I wish that this site's master guru was right when he says: "it's almost never the logics board"...
    I followed the hint and went to the PDF Troubleshooting pages. "Startup" has 2 paragraphs which describe my problem. First: Intermittent shut-offs... 2nd: No startup... They do refer to: "Resetting the PMU on the Logic Board" in this chapter a lot re. my AGP. Went through most of the PDF, couldn't find it, hm.
    Reference is on Pg. 43 + 44... Anyone know where exactly I can find a detailed description on how to reset the PMU..? Or are we talking about the 'cuda'/vodoo trick again..?
    Vodoo was just that for me this morning.
    Just another hangover.
    May your Macs run trouble free forever!