Thread: 9600 pro problems on MDD G4

Default 9600 pro problems on MDD G4

Hi, I just got a 9600 pro for my Mac 1.42Ghz G4 and all it does is cause the screen to freeze, not the computer. I can still hear music or movies IÍm editing but the screen is frozen.

I sent my card into ATI and they sent me a new one and it doesnÍt work either, any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Eric

Default Not a lot of thoughts here...

Kinda a tough nut to crack really.

Try the PRAM reset

Command-option-p-r held for 3 bongs after startup bong.

Then if that didnt do it.

Command-option-o-f brings you to Open Firmware.

Type the following exactly:

reset-nvram (then hit return)
    set-defaults (then hit return)
    reset-all (then hit return) and computer should reboot

*mac-boot* if it does not reboot on its own

Do you have the Apple Hardware Test CD? Does it pass all diagostics?

Try a fresh install of the OS (on another drive to rule out an OS problem).

Did you load the ATI software (should not matter, but curious).

Good luck :|
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

Lightbulb

There were reports when those 256MB Pro cards came out on www.xlr8yourmac.com of problems, needing a lot of force to insert properly.

Gotta wonder though. The OEM 9600s modified for MDD from OWC work 99% of the time quite well. 9800s sometimes fry themselves or something but are a better card according to tests and benchmarks like www.barefeats.com

Default power issue?

So I tried resetting the PRAM and resetting the open firmware and yet the computer still "froze" but then I, for some odd reason, unplugged the USB cable connecting the printer and suddenly my computer was no longer frozen. Although the mouse moves a little jaggedly it works. Do you think the power supply is insufficient? I meet the requirements for the card:

The box says at least a 250-watt supply for the card to work and I have a 300-watt supply

But I have three internal drives. Do you think that power is the issue here? If so could I replace my power supply with a bigger one or would that not work?

Thanks,
    Eric

Default Psu...

I do not think its the PSU... the MDDs originally came with a 400 watt PSU and after complaints of noise Apple migrated to 380 watt PSU (along with the option of replacing the original 400 for past customers)..So you either have a 380 or a 400, either of which is sufficient for 4 hard drives and a 9600 (not a power hungry card honestly)...

Now, it could very well be heat related (search the forums for heat and MDD). The MDD case is well known for being the worst for cooling, and many have had blown logic boards as well as CPU modules due to this 'heat'. Try running first with NO USB devices attached, could be a bad cable (short) or peripheral. If you still have lockups, then go down the heat path. Remove the extra hard drives near the CPU or in front of the CPU fan (just to get some air flowing).

More drastic measures would be a PCI slot cooler, and of course my favorite on the MDD's is the new CHUD package, and enable NAP mode. That alone will bring your temps down to mid 30's. OH download Hardware Monitor (do a search here as well) and let us know your CPU temps.

Keep us informed!

iMac G5

Default Still bad

Ok I got a PCI fan for the hell of it and downloaded the software you recommended. Also during this time I put tiger on my computer, seeing if maybe it would help. So far nothing has changed. My MDD still runs at 55c and I thought I turned NAP on in my system preferences and then I went back to look at the screen and it had completely changed and there wasn’t even an option for NAP just whether or not I wanted to turn my L3 and L2 cache on or off.

So I am a little lost in what to do. First I want to figure out how to turn nap on, but I seem to be missing some key step, I think.

back to my card:

When I put the new card in, radeon 9600 pro, it takes about 3 minutes to freeze, but if I change the USB port my keyboard is plugged into, the computer will work for another 3 minutes and then freeze the mouse again. I have no idea what is going on.

Thanks,
    Eric

When an MDD has problems, temperatures inside are always the first suspicion. but putting that aside for the moment, your USB discovery points me in another direction. The mobo ports have a limit to how much in the amount of peripherals they can handle.

Can you list how many USB devices you have connected and how connected? Any powered USB hubs in the mix? Keyboard plugged directly into a mobo port and is it the Apple keyboard that came with the MDD? What is plugged into the keyboard? Apple mouse or something that requires more USB power such as a trackball? Anything else also plugged into the keyboard? It is also possible that the keyboard or mouse or some other USB device is defective, intermittently drawing too much power or alternatively that the USB power limiting for a port or both ports in your MDD is on the low side. Any of the USB devices besides the keyboard and mouse unpowered devices, meaning no power brick? Lots of questions, just trying to cover all of the USB possibilities. k

My USB setup is simple:

The original keyboard, with a Kensington mouse--just an optical three buttons mouse

And an Epson printer, which is plugged into the wall as well. But even when I don’t have the printer plugged in from the get go the problem arises.

I tried running it a couple times last night, sometimes with just the mouse connected and the comp always freezes- now I haven’t tried it without the mouse completely, but I don’t think that would be it, do you?

Thanks,
    Eric

Try it with just the keyboard plugged in and either the Apple mouse plugged into the other mobo port or no mouse connected. Just trying to eliminate the possibility that your Kensington mouse is defective, drawing too much power, or that any combination of keyboard and whatever is also plugged into the keyboard may be drawing too much power.

If you get freezes with trying that, then USB is not the problem. But you do want to try all USB possibilities, only way to be sure. I assume nothing about USB. Can't find the link anymore but when I was considering USB2 hubs, there was a brand model that was causing folks fits. Turned out that the power brick was providing too much power causing intermittent problems and eventually failure of the hub. Solution now is a new model brick. So many ways to go wrong. k

Default CHUD and USB

Eric,

I am not sure what to think, if you rule out USB being the issue.. I do think your CPU cards are running too hot (55c is what our MDD DP 1.0 Max's at) and they idle in the 30's (this is also with a 9600 card).

Stumped on the CHUD installer, that should have worked, you could try to install CHUD 3.5.1 (or .2) which was used on the Accelerate your Mac post (go there and read up on it, cant fetch the link at this moment).

OH there is also an Open firmware notation for disabling 1 cpu on a DP card, its somewhere in the forums here (used by me as well at one point). Its reversable and does no harm.

Rob
    Last edited by rguising; 02-14-2006 at 02:04 PM.

iMac G5

I just realized I have a month left on my MDD so I took it in to get looked at, hoping maybe something is just broken on the MB or something, but if it isn’t then I have no idea what would do it.

I tired switching out the mouse with the original mouse but that didn’t help, but I realized whenever the mouse and keyboard stopped working, the mouse would stop glowing red-optical mouse- so I think there was just no power going out of the USB or something along those lines.

Thanks,
    Eric

Default cripes, you've got me worried now! ;-)

Hello,

I just added a 9600 256MB to my dual 1.42 (roughly a month ago).

As luck would have it, I've been on a contract gig and haven't been able to pound on the thing as much as before when I was using the stock 128 nVidia (and, actually, I wouldn't have ditched the nVidia if it weren't for the fact that Motion wasn't compatible).

However, that noted, I have used the thing...just not _hard_...and have not had the problems you mention (repeatedly knocking on wood).

I do keep the beast in about the coldest part of the room though and, in warmer weather, have a fan blowing air past the beast to make sure the air circulates.

I may look into one of those PCI fans now too. ;-)

Best,

Iver

Apple is saying my card is saying that the 9600 pro doesn’t work in my computer do to a compatibility issue. Now they are trying to replace my 9600 pro with a NVIDIA Force, but I want to run motion so that is no good for me. Anyway let me know if you continue having success with your card because even when I run no apps and in very cold environments it still crashes.

Thanks,
    Eric

Default Careful here...

The only high end Geforce "Apple card" for the MDD is the 4600ti.

Just a heads up, not sure what the technician or support folks are trying to sell you. If its a Geforce 4MX then thats one crappy card.

Keep in mind also that the ATI 9600 is a Core Image card, the 4600ti is not...

We have a 9600 in an MDD here, (its a G5 version) with tapped pins, and have had NO issues / lockups. But that may be irrelevant as there are numerous G4 MDD logic boards and variables.

iMac G5

What do you mean by tappped pins?

Also I know the card they are trying to put in is something ti, but I never really liked NVIDIA because I have heard of a lot of problems with them. But for some reason the technicians think the 9600 pro wont even work in my computer, because they donÍt believe all the replacement cards ATI sent me were defects. Either way I donÍt like the situation. I sort of think something is broken on the motherboard or something and they donÍt want to replace it because my computer or exceeds system requirements for the 9600 pro.

Anyway if anyone has advice please told me.

Thanks a ton,
    Eric

Lightbulb

OWC (www.macsales.com) sells some OEM G5 9600's with 64MB VRAM that are modified for MDDs - they have to tape over "pins" on the AGP of the card to disable pins #4 and #10 (I think, there is a lot more information in the Video Upgrade FAQ or on www.xlr8yourmac.com. A number of us have used them in MDD.

but yes, the 9800 is a better card (but there have been over-heating problems, fan failure) on some. You can use a replacement fan, and you can use VRAM cooler strips. They do make more noise from the rather loud fan, but the best card for MDD (a G5 of course offers better video by far).

Default Been watching my MDD more carefully since I saw this thread....

But I have to note (knocking on wood and throwing salt over my shoulder) that it seems to be behaving very well.

Dual-1.42 with ATI 9600 256MB AGP card...

This was a very late MDD...Apple launched the G5s right after I picked this beast up...