Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DP MDD System Failures...

Update: 1/2 hour w. Apple Care... Professional & curteous. I was well prepared and after we had gone through all the issues, the agent's conclusion was: "most likely the logics board. Bring the unit to the nearest A. store."

Which is what I'll have to do. After the supposed NorthEastern...

Wink

Well, instead of the Apple Store, where no one seemed to have time for me, even though I had a "concierge" pre-reserved appointment with a 'genius', and despite the fact that my name was up on the wall (via projector, I suppose) as the 1st one to be served, I decided to take the computer to one of the few remaining, true Apple retailers/repair shops... It was on Valentine's Day (never again, oops) and at the Apple Store they seemed to have been short in staff and long as to customers...

Got the unit back yesterday. Mobo replaced. Tecchie agreed that even with his tools it was very difficult to get to the bottom of 'things'... Even though he agreed that the unit seems to run hot rather quickly, he advised not to install a copper heatsink. Not for the duration of AppleCare... Doing so might void my protection.

There U havit.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpweb
    Even though he agreed that the unit seems to run hot rather quickly...
    I am going to guess that you have the 360W PS with quieter but slower fans and the 120mm fan that runs quieter but slower. Both Louie (who used to moderate here) and I purchased our MDDs at the same time, identical twins. There was such an outcry about noise that Apple finally offered a kit for replacing the original 400W PS and fans and the 120mm fan free for the cost of shipping. Another outcry because Apple wanted you to return the originals. So they deleted the necessity of returning the originals.

At that point both of us took up the offer, Louie because he wanted to try the quieter, me because it gave me a backup of all that stuff. I didn't care if the MDD sounded like a jet engine. So I still have all of the original hardware installed and the quiet kit box in my parts bin. Still, that didn't protect me from a mobo failure.

Louie did discover with his dual MDD G4-1.25 and the quiet kit installed that it was actually noisier after it really warmed up because the 120mm fan had to go into much higher speed to cool the CPUs. I forget whether we determined if the PS fans are also temperature controlled but he didn't like their noise either, the quieter ones supposedly. I found some Evercool fans that would fit the PS opening and sent them to him, the same CFM and much quieter. k

How'bout that, Kaye, U're right on the money.
    It's 360 Watts allright. One big fan which can get noisy when in overdrive. Can't quite make it out behind the grill, but it looks to be a 'PABST', St. Georgen... Would that be Swiss..? Another, much smaller fan flat down next to the mobo. And then, of course, the rather annoying hi-pitch fan on the nVidia. Once in awhile, like just 5 m's ago, unit will not boot while the big fan runs crazy. Sometimes goes as far as "You have to restart your computer". After several attempts, everything usually falls into line... For said AppleCare reason, I will refrain from any modifications. Getting used to the idea of a G5 anyhow. My QS' may actually have quite a long lifespan, they can do all I need to in 9.2...

Ran the machine for some 6 h's straight today, with only 1.75 Gigs of Ram however. Trying to get a replacement for the stick that seems to be on a limp. Everything went smoothly; no crash, no freeze, just like during the 1st 4 months after purchase. Then, some 2 h's later, trouble at startup with the big fan. U'd think it's a monster in there, trying to free itself. Wow.

Weird science, I can tell U that.

Though, with Prof Longhair fessing around in the background, no big deal.