Thread: DP MDD System Failures...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Confused DP MDD System Failures...

Ok, here I go again; trouble in paradise...

1.25MHz DP MDD crashes, freezes & generally acts up about 1/2 hour into use, sometimes sooner. Doesn't seem to be HD or sw related, tried & switched several from 9.2 to Panther... Also went back to 2 x 256MHz OEM Ram, for testing. Same difference. And, yes, did several Firmware resets, to no avail.

Worked a-ok for some 4 months, got it as a 'refurb' from reputable dealer. Still has a gd 6 months of A.C. on it. Down time (for repair) will be a bummer. Did several system checks via A. Serv. Diagnostics vers. 2.1.4... One hour loop on everything. All "passed"... 3 hour loop on mobo, processors & 2GB of Ram. All checked GREEN. Photographed 'System failure' from screen, film not yet processed. Could be a heat issue since troubles start only after about half an hour into use... Fans seem to be working fine. Heatsink always got very hot. Once, when CS crashed, got "error code -600"... Once, after installing Raptor w. Seritek SATA PCI card for testing, reboot (after system failure) got "waiting for application services" upon reboot-freeze.

I've become rather savvy, especially after feedback from various threads on this here board, but current trouble seems way over my head.

Any educated advice would be most welcome. Thanks!

Default Couple options

And I agree with you its most likely heat (but hard to tell too).

What kind of system temps are you seeing? Download Hardware Monitor from Bresinki (sp?) and it will give MDD CPU card temps (single temp).

We have an MDD here and I always enable Nap mode after a restart, CPU temps usually fluctuate at about 30C (vs 50C when purchased new). Nap is turned on by installed the CHUD package (latest CHUD works with 10.4.4). Believe its 4.x.x

Keep the MDD on a desk (ie off the carpet), pulled back from the wall. Only load 1 or two hard drives internally (if possible). Upgrade to the Copper Heatsink (usually available at SmallDog.com).

Finally, you could even become more daring and add more cooling fans (ie slot PCI fan), or more drastic measures.

MDDs are notorious for Heat issues.... keep it cool.
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

Question

Ok, makes sense...

Except, why now, not warmer in here than previously..? Only 1 HD at a time, in the bay away from the heatsink. Occasional ext. FW HD for file transfer. Positioned away from wall, not on carpet but on small 'printer desk' type base.

I don't have Tiger, only up to Panther. Anyhow, as I said, same trouble in 9.2 as well as in 10.2.8 (on the Raptor)...

Tecchie at vendor's said (on the phone), "try re-installing the processors"... Hm. Can the stuff between heatsink & CPU go bad..?

Of course, in my book, with my previous experiences, it could be the mobo.

To be contd.

As long as the case feet are on the printer desk, and not overhanging/dangling with the case itself on the printer desk.

Nicolas and I have a thread in Custom Configurations on what we did to our MDDs. He did far more than I and it is long. http://macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20094 k

Lightbulb

crashes, freezes & generally acts up about 1/2 hour into use, sometimes sooner.

As an experiment, I removed all internal drives, including the Combo drive (and leaving a Pioneer) which helped air flow and bring temps down noticeably (more important in summer than now). Added a small fan up in the front top bay to blow air out of there and where the PSU and hot air seems to gather. Never tried pushing air in the front and/or pulling it out the back - but those do work.

Can't say enough good about Hardware Monitor
    http://www.bresink.com/osx/HardwareM....html#Download

While an Open Firmware reset and set defaults is good for kernel panic, no reason to think that is what you need or seeing.

You are running off Raptor, so that means you have SeriTek or something. I would try removing any/all PCI cards, even if it means booting off FW and see how that is. Would also be nice and help to have a video card to try and help remove that as a source.

The thing with crashes, is that you really need to run fsck on restart. And Applejack. You don't want to just restart (though OS 9 will automatically check the boot volume). Disk Warrior would help. While software may not be the cause, you could end up with corrupt directory, file system, or just cache files and preferences.

It happens with any mix of programs running, not just one (Mail seems to give trouble to a few/some people for unknown reason).

Norton is notorious for some systems to cause trouble. But you say it isn't software.

I am always leery of refurbished except Apple (had bad experience with SmallDog on a number of Apple systems, mine and two friends, so I don't send or recommend to others). Would like to know what/why the system ended up there, whether they really replaced PSU or logicboard or something else.

I think NOT having a system on UPS can weaken or shorten the life of a PSU, I know my UPS died after two years from having to constantly adjust for house current, doing a lot of boost and trim work.

I've had cable to drive in ATA/100 cage vibrate or shake loose enough to cause I/O errors (picked up by SoftRAID).

Some people have found the Apple cooper heatsink helps (and for that, I would grab one if Small Dog has any, or someone else).

It doesn't seem or sound like memory (Memtest 4.1.2+) would be my choice, and change the order of the RAM chips, as well as it can be run from Single User Mode.

Kaye ran into trouble with MDD 1.25DP and ended up having someone check out to see if it was cpu or logicboard. But it sounds like you've ruled that out if you have something more thorough than the Apple Hardware Test CD.

I think Jaguar was totally beta quality. Not a good test. Panther is pretty hard to install and upgrade, it is "messy" to do all the updates and patches. Not pretty either. Which is why I prefer and recommend Tiger, esp. now as it ships on DVD and comes with 10.4.3 - not totally current, but almost.

Wink

Thanks, Kaye, but feet are posted solid, same place -give or take an inch- from the very beginning. Correction on that one; been in my use since end of Aug. 2005...

Dr. TZ, I always appreciate Ur expertise, but if U read carefully from the start, U will notice that I've been through some of Ur suggestions, especially the HD's... Only installed the Raptor once for testing the possibility that trouble might come from IDE connect. Apparently doesn't. Also booted from an ext. FW HD with 9.2. Crashed or froze equally.

One of Ur tips could be the hot one... Thanks. Will exchange the nVidia TI 128 for one of my ATI 9000's 128 tonite after an afternoon outing. (Hope is in the air...)

To be contd.

Wink

By the way: absolutely no PCI cards in this unit. Used strictly for heavy duty files in CS. All other stuff being handled by 2 smooth running QS'...

Lightbulb

Then maybe there is something about using SATA with the bridge (PATA to SATA). And only way to tell would be to add SeriTek; and, put a nice PATA drive in there. Something like 250GB 16MB cache Diamond Max 10.

Out of curiosity, what kind of benchmark do you see with the Raptor? I don't think I've seen QuickBench from anyone with the same setup.

Yes, I know you said that you tested the drives or felt you had ruled out that being a problem. But the only way I could rule out hard drive would be to zero the drive and do a clean install of the system. Or, is it based on the fact that it happens when running off other drives on FW.

Heavy duty files in CS usually means 2GB RAM for MDD, along with a fast 4-8 drive RAID to compensate for lack of having 4-8GB memory. And, using either ATA controller or Serial. No harm in having 3-4 PCI cards, but always necessary when troubleshooting to remove 3rd party and bring the system to a 'stock' condition. (kaye used ATTO UL3D, SeriTek, and ACard ATA controllers, plus USB2 I believe. I have two UL3Ds and USB2/FW in mine.)

I was even thinking that if you didn't have a spare AGP video, might have PCI Radeon just for testing. Radeon 9800s (and 9600 OEM modified units) frequently do seem to 'go bad.'