Thread: OS 9 Hangs while loading Desktop

Angry OS 9 Hangs while loading Desktop

Hey guys,

A little issue. I had a friend drop off a G4 iMac to me for repair and I am a bit stumped on this one. She said she was working in Quark and it froze so she turned off the computer then when she turned it back on it went to the blinking folder with the ? and mac face.

I looked at the system and sure enough it boots to the ?/mac face blinking folder. So I stuck in my OS 9.2 CD and booted up the system off the CD and it hangs while loading the desktop (it gets past the status bar). I tried booting with extensions off, same thing. I tried zapping the pram, same thing. The CD is good, it boots my other Macs.

So for S&G's I tried booting off an OS X CD and it booted fine. I ran disk repair, no errors.

Next time I booted I held down Opt to get the boot selector and still it did not show the HDD. And still I could not boot of the OS 9 CD (I tried a couple of OS 9 CD's)

So GRRR any thoughts? I think she hosed something in her desktop because when you boot off the CD for some anoying reason if it sees a hard drive it will try and load that desktop instead of the plain CD desktop. Any way around this?

Any ideas at all? There is data on the drive I cant loose and worse case I will rip the HDD out and slave it in another system to get the data. But i would really like to avoid that :P

THANKS!

aNc
    Help me win my free IPOD and get one of your own!

IPOD

First thing I'd do is reset open-firmware. If ya got it Diskwarrior would be run next.
    While booted from DiskWarrior I'd re-bless the OS9 system folder and trash the finder preferences.

Resetting Open Firmware
    Shut down the computer
    Start computer up holding down Command + Option + O + F
    A screen comes up with a command prompt
    At the prompt type in reset-nvram, and hit the return key
    At the prompt type reset-all, and hit the return key
    The machine will reboot.

To re-bless the system drag both the finder and the system suitcase out of the system folder to the desk top then drag them back to the system folder. When the Mac OS logo reappears over the System Folder, it has been re-blessed.
    Once I had to reset openfirmware 3 times before my CD would boot anything but the Panther install disk so if it doesn't take the first time try it again.

Lightbulb

Depending on what system the iMac was running, it may be that none of your OS 9 CDs would work; and if it was OS X, the very first thing would be to run fsck or the latest (10.4.3) OS X DVD if possible.

A hard restart will leave the system with all kinds of possible corruption depending on what was being written. Swap files, caches, as well as data. All of that can be dealt with by Applejack or Tiger Cache Cleaner as well as manually, but fsck is your best friend.

And reset the startup disk, which you can do from OS X DVD. You can also do a restore from the internal drive to FW if you think you should backup files before doing anything further.

Confused

The iMac is running OS 9.2.2 which is also the same as the CD I am trying to boot. The CD gets past the status bar and everything then hangs when trying to load the desktop. I tried the super rest, 3 pram zaps and then 3 firmware resets and still no joy. There is something correpted on her desktop. Is there a way for me to boot off the CD but tell it NOT to look for and load a default profile stored on the HDD???

THANKS!

aNc
    Help me win my free IPOD and get one of your own!

IPOD

Oh man, OS 9.x, taking us way back.

O.k. Startup stall at the desktop, could be a number of things. But have you tried starting up with extensions off? Startup the machine, and hold down 'shift' until you see extensions off.

Now if that works without the stalling at the desktop to see.

I'm not sure though if it will help since you are stalling at the desktop even when booting off the 9.x CD. But it's worth a shot anyway to see.

Default Rebuild desktop?

Would a desktop rebuild help?
    Hold down Command(APPLE)+Option Keys at start-up.
    Dave

You never said if you re-blessed the system folder. Did you?