Thread: 10.3.9 nuts ever since permissions problem

Confused 10.3.9 nuts ever since permissions problem

I had the iTunes related problem of being unable to repair permissions. I solved that problem by removing all iTunes receipts except for x. Now, I have two problems remaining which I had hoped would go away after a successful permissions repair.

1. Right clicking on any icon results in a spinning beach ball and then a finder relaunch.... never a contextual menu.

2. I'd like to install iSync, but it informs me that it can't be installed on my computer. I have a blue tooth dongle which 10.3.9 recognizes, and I am able to see other bluetooth devices. I just want to install isync. (I tried installing from the Panther cd to no avail)

I went back to QT 6.5.2/iTunes 4.0.1 with 10.3.9. Things seem much happier.

Did you try to use XPF to install iSync? Don't know if you can do it that way. You might have to do a complete install.

What about reinstalling the 10.3.9 Combo updater....worth a shot Brane?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Quote Originally Posted by unclemac
    What about reinstalling the 10.3.9 Combo updater....worth a shot Brane?
    Probably couldn't hurt.

The problems I had with QT7, and iTunes 5 were not repeatable. It was just occasional wierdness. I really don't need the features offered in the later versions so I opted out. One thing that I didn't like about the newer QT was it wouldn't play some stuff that works fine in 6. Progress.

I'm a less-is-more fan anyway.

Thanks guys

I'll give the combo update a shot and see what happens. Hopefully, some future Mac OS update will fix this issue as well. This machine is really only a hobby so it's not a huge deal... just an annoyance.