Thread: Pismo Power Problem

Default Pismo Power Problem

Computer: Pismo with G4 accelerator card; Tiger

Problem: The computer doesn't always recognize that the power cord is plugged in. I've tried known good power cords. If you "jiggle" the power cord and hold it there at an angle, the computer does recognize the power cord.

Questions: Is there a simple fix to this without having to take apart the computer? If the only solution is that the DC board needs to be replaced, will a Lombard DC board work. (I have a partially functioning Lombard that is available for parts and I am comfortable with doing the repair myself, even though accessing the DC board means pretty much taking the whole computer apart.

Thanks!

Your problem sounds like a conversation I overheard a couple of days ago. That person had a laptop with a similar problem. The advice that was given was that the place where the power supply plugs in was worn and sloppy. It just wasn't making contact all the time. Your comment about holding the cable in position leads me to believe that some time with a soldering gun may be next. Hope this helps.

The disassembly and re-assembly would be no problem for me, but soldering is one area I haven't ventured into yet. Are there any good web sites that that can walk me through it?

Thanks.

Here's a large collection of links on the subject.

It's not difficult IMHO, but it's a learned skill so you'll want to practice on junk boards until you feel confident about your ability.