Thread: More MDD problems

Angry More MDD problems

Last night, during the middle of doing nothing out of the ordinary, the machine completely froze...screen, mouse, internet connection, everything. Had to power down from the front.
    Started machine up. It gets past the chime, you can hear the scanner get booted, then....nothing. No video. Monitors don't light up, hard drive isn't accessed. Nothing.

The only change I've made recently is adding a second LCD panel to my setup. I did this about two days ago. Everything's been normal, until last night. When this occurred, I took the RAM out, PRAM battery out, video cards out, disconnected all the peripherals, and let it sit overnight. I've put it all back together. No change.

I've tried removing RAM sticks one at a time, nothing.
    I've tried all variations of video card swaps, nothing.

Can't boot from a disc. Spins up, nothing. Hard drives just sit there.

Starting to look like the processor's dead, again. I just replaced it last May.

Anyone got a SP1.25 processor they want to sell?
    Ideas on what's wrong would be good, too.

Lightbulb

I think the best method to fix a mac that won't power up is here

A crash that left the disk drive corrupt directory can also prevent booting.

What video card? both monitors on OEM 9000? VGA LCDs have trouble with DVI to VGA... ADC works for those cases.

If you don't have a UPS, that would be one of the things I would invest in. The other, as this has happened before, is does cpu and drives run hot? what temps were you seeing? how many drives (it should work with up to four but that inhibits air-flow). Which is why it is a good idea to clean out any dust, replace or add more fans etc.

Well, you don't know that I'm pretty fanatic about keeping the machine as dust-free as possible. So that's ruled out. (I get the industrial-packages of canned air from Costco.) It sits on a set of G-Risers, on a hardwood floor base.

UPS has been in place for a couple of years, now. I know it works...the beeping wakes me up in the middle of the night, on occasion.

Video cards are the original, and an ATI Radeon...don't remember the number, but I'm strongly inclined to say 7000. I was running the Mag Innovision LCD on the original card via the Apple-supplied VGA extractor. I added a Sony 15" LCD; the cable that came with it was bad, so I splurged for a DVI, and ran it off the DVI output of the 7000, which I've had for some time but wasn't installed until I got the Sony the other day. This arrangement ran for two days without so much as a glitch. Even a permissons repair in there, somewhere.

I'm not a savvy-enough geekbot to monitor temps; wouldn't know where to start with that. I can't see how it gets too hot, though, as I've got a ton of airflow around it. There are three drives,a Superdrive, and the original CD-RW.

The machine won't even boot from a TTPro CD, which is why I'm inclined to believe it's the processor. I haven't found the original discs for the unit, but I haven't really looked, either. I figured if the TTP disc would boot, then they're using the same sys folder as Apple, yes?

This is just a guess based on what you've posted, but it looks like maybe there's voltage issue with your PSU that was aggravated by adding the second display. If the new processor is dead that could be what took 'em both out.

Stuff like that is a PITA to troubleshoot for certain if you're not a tech though. You'd just have to swap the components, and cross your fingers.

Lightbulb Just for grins.....

OK, so you pulled the PRAM battery - and everything else.

But, while the battery was out and the machine unplugged, did you hit the power button to drain the PMU and/or associated capacitors? We have a voodoo reset thread around here somewhere regarding this, and if I recall correctly, the pushing of the power button is a critical step that often gets missed. Don't claim to know what/why/how this works, but it has been reported to work by some MDD users in the past when nothing else did.

Worth a shot?

Somebody will straighten me out if I remember this wrong.....
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I did, indeed, push the PMU reset button. At the very beginning of all this.

Arrow This has worked for some. Why? We don't know.

Greentree's Voodoo fix.....

1 Unplug power cord and remove battery

2 remove all ram

3 let computer sit overnight

4 press mobo reset button

5 install battery and connect power cord and press power button (you should get the no ram chimes*)

6 Power down and reinsert ram

7 press reset

8 boot normally

Hope it works

Moderators please feel free to edit and change this if it has anything wrong. I never found the "real original" yet. It's pieces and parts from my memory. - Randy
    Last edited by rwm; 01-19-2006 at 05:41 PM.

Ah, thanks Randy, that's it. OK, I was close.....

#3 must include plugging the power cable to get the box to chime (notice of no RAM installed)

Wanna give this a shot echo?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Well, I didn't see any of this until I'd gotten back from my local Mac shop, with another processor.
    Installed new processor. Booting from TTP right now to run some directory maintenance stuff, just in case the episode the other night caused any problems.

Kinda pricey, at 289, but a) he is the 'little guy' and I like supporting that, and b) beats spending hundreds more for another machine (although it would have been a DP, but that's okay..).

I might get bold a little later and re-try the previous processor, using the voodo described here.

Thanks, all.

Default I would leave well enough alone...

Quote Originally Posted by echohaus

I might get bold a little later and re-try the previous processor, using the voodo described here.

Thanks, all.

Personally, I wouldnt 'try' the old one again. If the replacement ends up working, then count your blessings and leave the machine alone. By swapping processors you could very easily do more damage than good, (ie wrecking your MDD logic board).

If it aint broke, dont fix it!
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

Thumbs up Amen.

Agreed. Don't look back!

Oh, sure. No real arguments, there. It's just that when you're unemployed, you look to save every freakin' buck you can; naturally, the idea that the other processor might be good kinda nags.

Fingers crossed.