Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: X-Plane 8,9

Still experimenting with settings. I accept the explaination about VRAM but CPUs play a part too. When the CPUs get overloaded with eye candy, the fps drops and if there is a warning about minimum fps (mine is set 19fps), X-Plane reduces the visibility (mine set 15 statute miles). Last night I shot an approach to KJFK and had to change my Rendering Options back to the screenshot I took, that is texture resolution very high, plus there was fog because X-Plane kept reducing the visibility below the 15sm I had set. The settings in Rendering Options and Weather don't change, X-Plane just temporarily changes them.

After doing that, last night I shot an approach to London Heathrow (EGLL) 09L:
    http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Pu...LL09Lnight.jpg
    fps = 20.8

Same approach this morning:
    http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/EGLL09Lday.jpg
    fps = 30.5

Over to Paris Charles De Gaulle (LFPG) 08L:
    http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/LFPG8Lday.jpg
    fps = 36.3

On to KJFK 13L. This is where the CPUs really bog down and X-Plane reduces the visibility. There is a lot of eye candy around the airport even with the Rendering Options reduced and the fps takes a big hit several times during the approach and fog settles in right from the start of the approach. Not bad at this point but start of the approach is the worst:
    http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/KJFK13Lday.jpg
    fps = 20.5

Then over to KBOS 27:
    Better, but I imagine if I did a visual to RW 9 it would not be so good:
    http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/KBOS27day.jpg
    fps = 22.3
    It sure would help to have quad or 8x CPUs plus a 512MB VRAM card. k

I did the visual to KBOS RW09 and the fps is good:
    http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Pu...OS09visual.jpg
    fps = 33.3

I remembered that the clearance over buildings is close:
    http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Pu...S09outside.jpg
    k

Thanks for the nav data tip. i'll check that out. for now, here's a link to the approach to 26R at CYVR. http://www.wholetonesound.com/screenshot.png
    and this one is a shot of downtown vancouver facing north: http://www.wholetonesound.com/vancouver.png
    we'll see what the new nav files do in a minute.
    and for something pretty: http://www.wholetonesound.com/float.png

well i installed the latest nav files from that link. still no change with vancouver underwater. i guess i'll reinstall the whole app.

I see you do have a flood condition at CYVR, not pretty. The float plane pic is pretty. Never flew a high wing or a float plane.

One thing I was thinking, I don't know exactly where the cutoff is for the USA disk, how far if any it goes into Canada. I have the complete scenery DVDs which includes the Canada DVD, actually all of Canada and Greenland. If you don't have that, I wonder if the USA cutoff is just South of CYVR or just does not include it. If you don't have the Canada DVD, I don't know where a single scenery DVD can be purchased. Maybe an email to the author or store. But it does look as if there is a problem with the installation because most of CYVR is there on your approach pic. k

Did some investigation last night and think I have this right. When you're in an area that no custom scenery covers, meaning the DVD Canada installed, X-Plane looks in every custom scenery folder before finally loading the terrain file out of DSF 820 Earth folder. AFAIK, that is generic and will give you only an approximation of data for a location and will give lots of water. For me that used to be a huge problem with X-Plane 7 because before the days of the scenery DVDs you would go someplace outside the USA and find an airport surrounded by water, sometimes just a runway, and installing 3rd party custom scenery was for me difficult because all of the files had to be installed manually into the proper folders. I could be way off on this, just an educated guess.

Do you have the Canada DVD installed? When I installed 8.21 and all of the scenery DVDs, I believe that updating via download to 8.40 and later 8.50 caused updates/changes to some of those scenery files installed. Email me if you don't have the Canada DVD because I don't think you can get it without repurchasing the X-plane DVD. k

I was sent a piece called Fastest Guy Out There. I couldn't stop smiling over it so I tried the SR71:
    http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Pu...SFO28RSR71.jpg
    http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Pu...O28RSR71.1.jpg
    http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Pu...O28RSR71.2.jpg

It is very difficult to fly with a trackball. Need a stick or stick and rudder pedals connected (which I do have, plus I have a yoke). You get to the far end of the runway very quickly.

The Fastest Guys Out There
    Written by Brian Schul - former sled driver

There were a lot of things we couldn’t do in an SR-71, but we were the fastest guys on the block and loved reminding our fellow aviators of this fact.

People often asked us if, because of this fact, it was fun to fly the jet. Fun would not be the first word I would use to describe flying this plane. Intense, maybe. Even cerebral. But there was one day in our Sled experience when we would have to say that it was pure fun to be the fastest guys out there, at least for a moment.

It occurred when Walt and I were flying our final training sortie. We needed 100 hours in the jet to complete our training and attain Mission Ready status. Somewhere over Colorado we had passed the century mark. We had made the turn in Arizona and the jet was performing flawlessly. My gauges were wired in the front seat and we were starting to feel pretty good about ourselves, not only because we would soon be flying real missions but because we had gained a great deal of confidence in the plan in the past ten months. Ripping across the barren deserts 80,000 feet below us, I could already see the coast of California from the Arizona border. I was, finally, after many humbling months of simulators and study, ahead of the jet.

I was beginning to feel a bit sorry for Walter in the back seat. There he was, with no really good view of the incredible sights before us, tasked with monitoring four different radios. This was good practice for him for when we began flying real missions, when a priority transmission from headquarters could be vital. It had been difficult, too, for me to relinquish control of the radios, as during my entire flying career I had controlled my own transmissions. But it was part of the division of duties in this plane and I had adjusted to it. I still insisted on talking on the radio while we were on the ground, however. Walt was so good at many things, but he couldn’t match my expertise at sounding smooth on the radios, a skill that had been honed sharply with years in fighter squadrons where the slightest radio miscue was grounds for beheading. He understood that and allowed me that luxury. Just to get a sense of what Walt had to contend with, I pulled the radio toggle switches and monitored the frequencies along with him. The predominant radio chatter was from Los Angeles Center, far below us, controlling daily traffic in their sector. While they had us on their scope (albeit briefly), we were in uncontrolled airspace and normally would not talk to them unless we needed to descend into their airspace.

We listened as the shaky voice of a lone Cessna pilot asked Center for a readout of his ground speed. Center replied:

November Charlie 175, I’m showing you at ninety knots on the ground.

Now the thing to understand about Center controllers, was that whether they were talking to a rookie pilot in a Cessna, or to Air Force One, they always spoke in the exact same, calm, deep, professional, tone that made one feel important. I referred to it as the “ Houston Center voice.” I have always felt that after years of seeing documentaries on this country’s space program and listening to the calm and distinct voice of the Houston controllers, that all other controllers since then wanted to sound like that… and that they basically did. And it didn’t matter what sector of the country we would be flying in, it always seemed like the same guy was talking. Over the years that tone of voice had become somewhat of a comforting sound to pilots everywhere. Conversely, over the years, pilots always wanted to ensure that, when transmitting, they sounded like Chuck Yeager, or at least like John Wayne. Better to die than sound bad on the radios.

Just moments after the Cessna’s inquiry, a Twin Beech piped up on frequency, in a rather superior tone, asking for his groundspeed. in Beach.

I have you at one hundred and twenty-five knots of ground speed.

Boy, I thought, the Beechcraft really must think he is dazzling his Cessna brethren.

Then out of the blue, a navy F-18 pilot out of NAS Lemoore came up on frequency. You knew right away it was a Navy jock because he sounded very cool on the radios.

Center, Dusty 52 ground speed check

Before Center could reply, I’m thinking to myself, hey, Dusty 52 has a ground speed indicator in that million-dollar cockpit, so why is he asking Center for a readout? Then I got it, ol’ Dusty here is making sure that every bug smasher from Mount Whitney to the Mojave knows what true speed is. He’s the fastest dude in the valley today, and he just wants everyone to know how much fun he is having in his new Hornet.

And the reply, always with that same, calm, voice, with more distinct alliteration than emotion:

Dusty 52, Center, we have you at 620 on the ground.

And I thought to myself, is this a ripe situation, or what? As my hand instinctively reached for the mic button, I had to remind myself that Walt was in control of the radios. Still, I thought, it must be done – in mere seconds we’ll be out of the sector and the opportunity will be lost. That Hornet must die, and die now.

I thought about all of our Sim training and how important it was that we developed well as a crew and knew that to jump in on the radios now would destroy the integrity of all that we had worked toward becoming. I was torn. Somewhere, 13 miles above Arizona, there was a pilot screaming inside his space helmet.

Then, I heard it. The click of the mic button from the back seat. That was the very moment that I knew Walter and I had become a crew. Very professionally, and with no emotion, Walter spoke:

Los Angeles Center, Aspen 20, can you give us a ground speed check?

There was no hesitation, and the replay came as if was an everyday request.

Aspen 20, I show you at one thousand eight hundred and forty-two knots, across the ground.

I think it was the forty-two knots that I liked the best, so accurate and proud was Center to deliver that information without hesitation, and you just knew he was smiling. But the precise point at which I knew that Walt and I were going to be really good friends for a long time was when he keyed the mic once again to say, in his most fighter-pilot-like voice:

Ah, Center, much thanks,

We’re showing closer to nineteen hundred on the money.

For a moment Walter was a god. And we finally heard a little crack in the armor of the Houston Center voice, when L.A.came back with,

Roger that Aspen,

Your equipment is probably more accurate than ours.

You boys have a good one.

It all had lasted for just moments, but in that short, memorable sprint across the southwest, the Navy had been flamed, all mortal airplanes on freq were forced to bow before the King of Speed, and more importantly, Walter and I had crossed the threshold of being a crew. A fine day’s work.

We never heard another transmission on that frequency all the way to the coast. For just one day, it truly was fun being the fastest guys out there.
    k

wow! that was one of THE coolest things i've read, on or off the net. thanks very much for posting the story. is that an excerpt from a book; it would be a great read. as far as the dvd goes: no, my dvd came only with the app and aircraft plus southern california demo. i emailed the store about getting just canada, so we'll see. I think you are right about the water thing. i noticed xplane doing that in strange places sometimes, like being caught in a place in the VR that doesn't exist. xplane also seems to default for missing parts/airfoils when it can't find them. (this can take a while, and about 40 "continue" clicks). I can't wait for better textures. I read somewhere that enhanced and night-lit V8 scenery runs just as fast as default textures. If that's true i really can't wait for the scenery dvd. i'll let you know how it goes.

You bet. I did a Google search this morning and found
    http://www.adventurersclub.org/Detail_1.htm (at the very bottom of the page) and links to this
    http://www.sleddriver.com/
    I suppose what I posted is from there, the book. BTW I also took a look on eBay and found several v8 packages with the box clearly stating 7 DVDs meaning the app installer DVD which includes the USA scenery (more than just the SoCal demo), and 6 other world scenery DVDs. Just does not include the 2 Mars DVDs. Some on eBay were also only the 1 DVD. I have all nine. Everything I have is both Mac and PC but I'm not sure about those retail packages. Mine came from the X-Plane store and did not come in a glossy retail box.

Last night I tried the SR-71 again. Took off on KSFO 10L and turned around headed North, climbed to 83,000 feet/2,092 knots and still accelerating but no one to brag to plus I cannot read the gauges well even with glasses on (had to get the altitude and speed off of the local map info). Very difficult to hand fly at night with trackball at that speed. Have yet to discover an autopilot, just can't see it. I was up by Yakima, Washington in a hurry. Made a left turn to the South and at that speed even with a near 30 degree bank it put me way over the Pacific and was taking forever. If I had made a right turn I would have been over Idaho. Going to try it in daylight conditions. k

Wow, that book is pricey. But it would be nice to have. What would also be nice is a plugin that works with the atc to give us ground speed call-outs when we ask for them. Thanks for pointing out the dvd on ebay. i'll get one of those as it seems like a good deal. soon, happy flying.

vicwind,

i've been working on my GigaMDD G4 the last couple of days. Needed to update several things including X-Plane to 8.50 with USA scenery only. I checked CYVR and I get pretty much the same as your screenshot, mostly water except for the runways, aprons, and taxiways. So to get better scenery in Canada, you do need that DVD installed. k

kaye,
    Now that I have a G4 I looking to get Xplane, what your recomedation on a verson for my 500mhz powerbook with 1GB memory and only 30 GB HD. Could it handle V7 or do I really need v6, what about senery disks etc.
    Thanks Bob

Bob,

This page http://www.x-plane.com/sysreq.html explains the requirements for X-Plane 8 and 7. Sounds as if you have seen it already. Referring to v7 I have heard of being able to fudge on the CPU speed but with an older PB nearly everything is going to be stressed, RAM, hard drive space and speed, 3D card and its VRAM.I don't know what your monitor size is, the stock size for X-Plane is 1024x768 or greater (which can be user set) but smaller size (even 1024x768) makes it very difficult for me to see the instruments and knobs without glasses which I hate to wear.

v8 with all of the worldwide scenery takes 58+GB HD space. v8 with just USA scenery takes 9.4GB. v7 obviously much less and utilizes a CD instead of a DVD. I have no idea about v6 requirements. This page http://www.x-plane.com/demo.html has links to servers with older versions. At some point, you had to have the CD or DVD mounted for the app to run. In v7 as I recall. Questions? This site has one 7.63 CD left for $16 if you want to try it http://store01.prostores.com/servlet...Plane+Software
    k

Thanks for the input I guess I should have asked if you think the experience would be better running V6 or v7? 7 calls for and 800mhz machine I got 500Mhz I am running 1Gb of ram. The xPlane site says for computers 4 years or older run v6 but does list it requirements. Not sure what the features are of 6vs7? Sure would like to set my own 747 or SR 71 on W13. My screen is running 1152x786. I have a iStick from Macally that I have not used yet. I also have a CH stick and pedals from the old PC. is there adapters to covert to usb?
    Thanks Bob

Bob,
    I would contact Tech support in Contact and Support on their website to ask those questions. Ask all of your questions including if there is some kind of converter for your PC equipment to USB. They may have a v6 CD installer laying around or they may say try v7 anyway. I don't know. Never tried v6 so I have no idea what the requirements are. Might even be OS9 only. Be sure to include all of the specs of your PB. v7 would certainly be better if they think it will work. k

I am waiting for v8.60 to be final. So far the author is up to beta 6. v8.50 went thru 11 betas and 5 rc's (Release Candidates) to get it right but I don't think that many will be necessary for 8.60.

Looking forward to the new autopilot/autothrottle. Reminds me a lot of the glass airplanes I flew. k

Reply from Xplane was the v7 would be fine for the 500mhz powerbook G4, he said nothing of v6.

In that case I would jump on that X-Plane.org link to purchase the update CD to v7.63. I'm thinking that will only update not do a complete install. If that is so, I have v7 installer which no one apparently sells. Email me if you need it. k

v8.60 is final. I have downloaded and installed it. Now working on understanding the autopilot which has changed considerably. k

An update to the global airport and nav-aid data here http://x-plane.org/home/robinp/#GetData

A complete list here http://x-plane.org/home/robinp/Updates.htm with a ton of updated airports, many Canadian but not CYXX, vicwind.

Have not had a chance to sort out that new autopilot yet. k