Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: X-Plane 8,9

Latest version is 8.63. I'm struggling through flying it. k

Update to version 8.64, faster updates than I can try. k

Several new items:

1. X-Plane 9.00 Beta-2 is here http://www.x-plane.com/beta.html. I wait until the betas and RC (Release Candidates) are all over with and only the final is ready. In this case it will be a purchase with new scenery. And there is a note on that page that v9 be installed in a new folder, not the v8 folder.

2. Altitude Optimizer 9.00 http://www.x-plane.com/cruisealt.html must be dropped into the X-Plane v9 folder.

3. Robin's global airport and nav-aid data is currently being tested. May work or may have to be updated for X-Plane v9. http://x-plane.org/home/robinp/ k

X-Plane 9.00 is up to Beta-24. The author is working on this to get it FAA approved for training towards certification for up to an Airline Transport Certificate. With all the new features in this version, there is a lot of tweaking to be done and has been done. Of course you would need an approved full motion simulator and an instructor. Got to hand it to these volunteers who fully test the Betas. k

X-Plane 9.00 is final, no more betas nor release candidates. If you install all of the world scenery it is almost 70GB. It will show as release candidate 3 which turned out to be the final.

My X-Plane 8.64 folder is 58GB. k

I have the shipment of X-Plane 9.00 with world scenery. What I have not yet decided is which hard drive to put it on. It comes on 6 dual layer DVDs, clearly labeled 1 thru 6 which is an improvement. k

Default Update

Installed v9 on my primary Tiger 10.4.11 boot drive, all 70GB with all of the world scenery. It shows as a universal application and as v9.00, not RC3. I then used Toast 9.0.2 Titanium to make an exact copy of disc1, the dual layer DVD disc required to make the app run or else it will run in demo mode only. Put the original away and spent some more time setting up the prefs and scenery prefs with the copy DVD.

I have much more to do. Did all this early today. My Tiger drive is now 56% used. k

9.20 is in Beta-3. 9.10 was exclusively for FAA certified use. Once again, I wait for the Betas and RC's to run their course until the final is available. It will be a freebie if you purchased 9.0. k

9.20 is now final as of a few days ago and the version is 9.20rc4. I have downloaded it but have yet to try. k

9.21 is now final, the version is 9.21rc2. k

I trashed my X-Plane 8.64 folder. That frees up 58GB on my Tiger HD.

That leaves me with X-Plane 9 only. There was and I installed 9.30 which did not update any of the apps, just the rest of the stuff. This morning I installed 9.31 and it updated all of the apps. X-Plane is now 9.31, have not tried it yet. Its folder is 72.04GB. My Tiger HD is now 34.5% full, much more breathing room. k

X-Plane is now 9.40 and the web page is X-Plane Main_Page

I need to run it and take some screenshots, day and night. k

X-Plane is now 9.41. Hard to keep up and still have to fly it. k

I asked about running 64-bit on my iMac with Fusion 3 and Windows 7. Answer:
    Quote:
    X-Plane WILL run on 64 Bit OS's. But the improvement is negligible. That is - I think you're wasting your time a bit (assuming that that's the only reason you're looking at that OS).

Please let me know if you need anything else and I'll be happy to assist.

Thanks,

Randy Witt
    X-Plane, Customer Support
    913-269-0976
    So it is just "compatible", tho I'm sure the Mac version will run faster on the iMac at 32-bit than my G5. But I don't plan on installing it on the iMac. k

I have been working on v9.41 but have been hampered by several things. First the weather, constant rain for the last 4-5 days with wind gusts up to 60 MPH which wakes me up at night and during daylight hours checking for downed trees and other things blowing away as well as checking the roof, gutters, and downspouts clear. All of the gutters front and back empty into the street so if they are clear there is plenty of water clearly visible. This rain includes lightning and thunder at times so I shut down the G5 when that happens. We have lost power a few times too.

The dog hates the lightning and thunder. I take him out three times a day to do his business and when it is time for him to get out of the car he just looks at me like Are you kidding me? When we return home I have to clean and dry him off in the garage before going into the house. Fortunately he is a gentle soul. Then he goes in and I have to dry myself off, change shoes, and hang up the soaked clothes.

Tuning the Rendering Options has been a hassle. Every time you change versions, you have to go thru this and now the whole page has changed with new options and more stuff to figure out. I could go with default but for me to see the cockpit gauges in enough detail I need to run it at 1600x1200 at 32-bit color. And I like a 45 degree field of view either side of straight ahead. I just don't get enough time at this point to finish off the Rendering Options. Every time I get started to fly the sim I am bumping into the minimum fps of 19 which causes X-Plane to introduce fog to sustain the min fps. And today, in addition to the dog, our Grandchild will be here for the day. Great to spend the day with her, she is 10 months, but a total handful except when she takes her infrequent naps. k

I am up to v9.44 and this time I did not have to start from scratch with the Rendering Options.
    Anyway, here are 2 photos of a SFO approach to 28R.
    San Mateo Bridge ahead, Foster City on the left.
    and

Finally a visual approach to Boston Logan Runway 9. No longer
    an approach there, so strictly a visual. If there were an approach
    I would be about 250' low.

k

I have been tied up with family matters mostly our Grand Daughter and Grand Dog but also a water leak under the kitchen sink which is now fixed.

The iMac runs X-Plane v9.44 just great. Yes, more eye candy than my G5 can do but of course it reaches a point that both machines must do, Rendering Options have to be reduced in order to maintain a minimum of 19 fps.

About six or so days ago, I launched X-Plane 9.44 which had been working just fine on my G5. All of a sudden I could not read the cockpit gauges, all of the numerical data, speeds, frequencies, headings, etc. unreadable, some kind of graphics problem. First thought was my 23" Cinema HD Display. iMac was perfect. Near impossible to fly the G5.

Five days ago I started investigating the Apple 24" LED Display and the various DVI to Mini Display Port converters such as the Atlona. We are talking a total of over $1000 plus AppleCare. I didn't want to spend those bucks.

Then I started wondering why everything else, the Gurus Forums and Store as well as virtually everything else on the web was just fine. I did a lot of googling and found nothing. Three days ago I searched my HD and found the Control Panel ATI Displays. On 3D there was an Application Profile for X-Plane 8.50 RC13 set to High Performance. That should not have affected X-Plane 9.44 but it did. Deleted the old one, created a new one called X-Plane.app and set it for Best Quality. Now I can read and set everything in the cockpit great, not quite as bright as the iMac but definitely as clear. k

Looks fun Kaye. I'd crash.

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post
    Looks fun Kaye. I'd crash.
    That's the fun part!

In a simulator.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

So, Kaye:

What is cruising speed on when your dirty like that? What is stall speed? How much altitude do you need to recover a stall in bird that big?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin