Thread: X-Plane 8,9

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default X-Plane 8,9

If you have been following my sticky thread in the G5 Forum, you know that including all of the worldwide scenery, this can be huge, about a 58GB folder.

These screenshots are dumbed down for the web which causes the streaking in the sky, water, and runway. The actual game views are great. Today started with an SFO ILS28R approach from outside the Outer Marker flying with trackball and keyboard, B747-400:
    Pic of ILS28R, just about at the Outer Marker which is at the San Mateo bridge.

500 feet, 28R ahead.

200 feet, the 3 white and 1 red lights on the left of the runway indicate glide slope and are correct for a heavy. 2 white would be correct for a narrow body aircraft.

Whew, stopped on the runway in position to taxi off.

Another view. Rescue balloon in the background.

k

Touchdown SFO 28R with tire smoke

k

I wanted to download the X-Plane 8.30 Beta v10. Currently running 8.21. May new features between those two versions and some speed increases in launch time as well as higher frame rates.

First download the Installer Macintosh 108 Beta, an 11MB app. Launch it and it provides 4 servers to pick from for the 8.30 beta 10 download. Chose one and it started at 12KB/s for the 511.5MB download with over 2 hours left to install with 2 simultaneous streams. Very slowly increased to 39KB/s On the fly you can change primary servers, does not start over, and it will continue. As I changed server, it continued at 39KB/s and 2 streams. After about a minute it switched to 4 streams and rapidly increased to 100KB/s. Later increase to 115 to 119KB/s. 119 was the max I saw and was what the download ended at.

So now I have another folder, 518.5MB, for the beta.

Now about the 8.21 scenery bells and whistles preferences. I cranked up most of the possible selections to much higher but not highest. Of them all, anti-alias level - 4x hardcore seems to be the most demanding (prefs comment, can put a HUGE workload on your graphics card). At the bottom of the prefs window, my X800XT is identified with this comment - VRAM used at these settings 216.4MB.

That is getting close to the 256MB of the card. SFO 28R ILS with daylight clear conditions at these settings is about 40fps. k

I don't like using the original XPLANE8 DL DVD (7.0GB) in order to run the app so I just finished using Toast Titanium v6.1.1 to do a disc to disc DL copy which has both Mac and PC versions on it. My blank was a Verbatim 8.5GB DVD+R DL 2.4X speed write. Burned, verified, and works just great. k

The same settings that gave me 40fps daylight SFO ILS 28R taking up 216.4MB VRAM, at night I got a warning message that I had exceeded the VRAM and the app was reducing somewhat my scenery settings. After the warning I checked the prefs and it showed 246+MB. And the fps varied from 18-25 during the remainder of the approach. I have the minimum set for 15fps. Fog would occur below that but I have yet to see any.

I think an AGP card with 512MB would allow max scenery pref settings or very close to it. k

There are various other websites for adding other aircraft to X-Plane tho it already has a lot. I was looking for a B767-300 so went here http://www.x-plane.org/registry/1_Aircraft.shtml and found one free. Not all are free and not all work with v8 of X-Plane.

Another site for scenery additions is http://www.x-scenery.com/ and again some free, some not, and must be compatible with v8. I downloaded the Golden Gate Bridge, Chicago Sears Tower, the "Encounter" restaurant at Los Angeles Airport, and the Seattle Space Needle. All are much more detailed than the X-Plane v8 scenery and the X-Plane author encourages the work.

Sometimes the aircraft or scenery are built for a certain version of v8 and may or may not work with 8.21. Just have to try and see. k

Latest version is 8.63. I'm struggling through flying it. k

Update to version 8.64, faster updates than I can try. k

Several new items:

1. X-Plane 9.00 Beta-2 is here http://www.x-plane.com/beta.html. I wait until the betas and RC (Release Candidates) are all over with and only the final is ready. In this case it will be a purchase with new scenery. And there is a note on that page that v9 be installed in a new folder, not the v8 folder.

2. Altitude Optimizer 9.00 http://www.x-plane.com/cruisealt.html must be dropped into the X-Plane v9 folder.

3. Robin's global airport and nav-aid data is currently being tested. May work or may have to be updated for X-Plane v9. http://x-plane.org/home/robinp/ k

X-Plane 9.00 is up to Beta-24. The author is working on this to get it FAA approved for training towards certification for up to an Airline Transport Certificate. With all the new features in this version, there is a lot of tweaking to be done and has been done. Of course you would need an approved full motion simulator and an instructor. Got to hand it to these volunteers who fully test the Betas. k

X-Plane 9.00 is final, no more betas nor release candidates. If you install all of the world scenery it is almost 70GB. It will show as release candidate 3 which turned out to be the final.

My X-Plane 8.64 folder is 58GB. k