Thread: Help with an Xbox 360, I don't know gaming

Question Help with an Xbox 360, I don't know gaming

My nephew has a Xbox 360 and it needs some help. So is anyone familiar with them or know of a "guru type xbox site"...

The problem is... that when you First put CD/DVD's in it any and all types of CD/DVD's

it always says "reading" and game starts sometimes... it's slowly getting worse

It will sit and say open / close with the disk in it - and will be opening and closing - acting just like the CD is empty...

also, some times 2-3 or 5 minutes into a game he gets a "bad disk message" and it ends

So.. a bad optical drive. It runs fine when using the HD only. Suggestions? He said he found a tweak called xbox 360 pot tweak - anyone know a thing about it? Before I blow it up...

Also, can I backup his HD with a FW drive? Can an xbox run from an external FW Drive?

Default A search for the Xbox problem

A better google search. more specfic to the problem...... looks like a bad CD/DVD.

DIY over at ifixit.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Thanks Unc,

I was just bookmarking stuff.... did not jump in to deep. Looks good

Know anything about flashing an optical drive - I don't know if it's even required - saw mention of it somewhere. I watched 1 DIY uTube video it was was semi lame but enough info..

Sorry, no.

I was thinking you'd better be dang sure you have the right replacement drive.....or flashing may be required. Don't know a thing about it though.

Confirms that here.

something like this, but I see all require being flashed. Looks like it may simply be for correct region code. Interesting repair tips here. You will need a Win box to do it, plus the right firmware for the replacement drive you round up. I noticed the drives I linked to are used, and are about 45 bucks with the shipping.

These guys will do any repair for 99 bucks or less, no fuss. Warranty on the work. Perhaps?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default gezzzz

Now I am told he has a broke 360 but it has a working DVD. Should be easy now.

Another thing I was reading was it sounded as if the drive manufacturer had a lot to do with swapping a drive out. So assuming they're the same brand no problem. If they are not then what? Maybe not a thing?

Thanks for the input guys. I'll let you know when we attempt this project.