Thread: Buy a G5?

Default Buy a G5?

I think the time has come to trade in my PTP 450/g4, OS9.1.
    Money always a consideration, I had just started exploring the differences between an imac and power mac g5 when I saw this ad; http://mobileworld-inc.com/appleg5.html , for a Apple Power Mac G5 Dual 2.3 GHz -$1210. with free shipping. Looks like a good price, is there a reason for the price drop?

I know nothing of OS X or G5's. Any comments, recommendations and/or good sites to do my research will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I would stick with Apple Store Specials unless you know and trust the seller.
    G5 2.3DP PCI-X is about $US2000, about $2100 for 2.5DP.
    $1210 is so low I wouldn't touch it.

Milo,

Don't know where you live but you realize that company is in Auckland, New Zealand? k

Aha!

Knew there must be a reason. It says new....no way the price difference can be that much. A good eye Kaye.

Milo: What do you think of the new imacs? A bit early yet - I would certainly wait for the inital reports over the next week or two. Look pretty good on paper.

Guess it depends...what do you want to do with it?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I saw the Aukland address on my second visit to the site. The first time I just looked at the price said "wow". As someone who has been burned by out of the country (US) transactions my "wow" became an "oh", tempting at it sounds.

I wish I knew enough about the imacs to have an opinion of them. I've become used to having this tower to work with on upgrades and repairs and am assuming, maybe wrongly, that the imacs don't have that kind of flexibility.
    Maybe the way to look at it is to buy an imac for the savings, use it until it's on the edge of obsolete and then see what they've come up with. Almost obsolete may be where I am now with my current machine and OS 9.
    I'll be watching for reports on the new imacs. Thanks for the tips and responses.

Quote Originally Posted by TZ
    I would stick with Apple Store Specials unless you know and trust the seller.
    G5 2.3DP PCI-X is about $US2000, about $2100 for 2.5DP.
    $1210 is so low I wouldn't touch it.
    I purchased one of the first G5's Desktops from Apple some years ago. It is a 1.6 and by todays standards slow. My first Apple had 2MB ram. This computer has been the most reliable computer I have ever owned and I go back to when Apple first started selling computers. It is rock solid and upgradeable. Unless you are into graphics, engineering or some high end use you can find some great buys on the older G5's of what ever speed you need. You take a big risk when buying a used one but I have purchased three off of eBay and all were as advertise and served me well. I purchased the three year Apple Warrranty on my G5 for around $200 but never had a chance to use it. If you buy from Apple you will pay sales tax in my state. If you buy from Amazon or MacMall no sales tax. CDW you will pay sales tax. No shipping charges from Amazon which can save you money. There are a lot of us who often sell very good computers because we want a new one not need one. Find some fools like one of us and you will have a near new computer for much less than than a new one. Trick is to find out the honest seller from the shyster.

Lightbulb

Dual-Core G5 2.0's are going for $300 off ($1699) right now Apple Specials. Not shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by TZ
    Dual-Core G5 2.0's are going for $300 off ($1699) right now Apple Specials. Not shabby.
    I will check that out. My old G5 1.6/1Gig is running great but if I can get $700-$1000 for it just might make the jump. The hard part will be to make the switch at home without my wife knowing. I can do a fast clone and she want know the difference if I can clone from a single core to a dual core???

Lightbulb Maybe Mini?

not sure what you use your Mac for, but it seems that one of the new Macs with Intel dual core (MacBook Pro, Mini or iMac) might work.

With the Mini, small investment, comes with lots of software, doesn't break the bank.