Thread: PATA or SATA Card in Gigabit Ethernet G4?

Confused PATA or SATA Card in Gigabit Ethernet G4?

I have a Gigabit Ethernet G4 (Mercury Extreme 1.5 Ghz), currently with one 160GB Seagate PATA drive (only formatted to 120GB thanks to that wonderful size limitation), and an external FW-enclosed backup PATA drive. I want to eventually do video editing, and will need either an ATA or SATA controller so I can add another drive. I've been pouring over these forums trying to find the best solution, but I guess I need to just ask for myself - would I be better served with a SATA card and SATA drive, SATA card with an existing PATA drive and SATA adapter, or just a plain ol' ATA133 card?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I want to eventually do video editing, and will need either an ATA or SATA controller so I can add another drive.
    With that in mind, onward to today and the future: Go SATA. PATA is really past technology.

About the current 160GB PATA drive, I suppose you could get a reasonable price, expensive bridge, which you can find in the store, if you want to get max. capacity. But if you really want to do video editing, then you'll most likely want bigger (and faster) HDs to keep things running smoothly. You'd probably want to get bigger and faster SATA HDs anyway; so you could leave the 160GB where is (yes capped) or go with the expensive bridge may hold you over until budget permits to get the SATA drives.

What kind of video? DV? What program? FCE, FCP, iMove?

With DV you can get away with PATA HDs. HD DV and uncompressed you'll want alot more throughput.

Cool

It'll just be DV - I have a lot of old VHS tapes I want to transfer to DVD. Most likely with iMovie.

I second Erics suggestion, SATA is the way to go.

FireWire is not as fast as SATA and PATA has some limiting factors on your Mac like no drives bigger than 120GB and so on.

BTW DVCPROHD needs 200MB/s+ of raw throughput this "game" goes up to HD-SDI which needs 1TB of storage for 1hour of material.

For example "Jarhead" was edited on G5 Dualcore systems using an XSAN for storage: http://www.apple.com/pro/film/murch2/index2.html

Best regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Cool

1TB?!? Yeah, for now I'll stick with plain ol' DV.

As far as you don't shot a motion picture or comercials .

Screenings were frequently played from a 720p24 QuickTime file on a PowerBook into a DVI high-definition projector at Technicolor in New York, using a MOTU 828mkII for audio output.

Best regards

Nicolas

Rolleyes

Ok, I had one more question...

I read a recent speed test between a PATA drive connected to a SATA card, and a SATA drive on the same card. The machine they used was a dual 1.42Ghz G4 (167Mhz bus?). My machine has the ol' 66Mhz, and xBench tells me my PATA drive only gets 48-50 Mbps. So...

Would a SATA (or PATA) card hooked up to my Seagate PATA drive give it any more speed than the stock bus?

Your GigBit has a 100MHz systembus.

But it has only ATA66 (66MB/s) for the HD's.
    So yes, SATA drives and card will be a huge improvement.

Regards

Nicolas