Thread: Panther->Tiger, now can't eject external SATAs from Desktop

Default Panther->Tiger, now can't eject external SATAs from Desktop

Recently upgraded the OS, and now my SeriTek/Burly external drives show no right-click option to eject from the desktop. Cmnd-e doesn't do it either - I have to go into Disk Utility and click Unmount.

Is this a Tiger thing?

Tom

You are correct Tom. If I highlight a CD or DVD in the Finder, the File Menu shows Eject... Command E. Highlight a HD and the Eject is grayed out. Don't know why. Finder Mac Help has a long explanation but why doesn't seem to be part of its answer. Mouse left or right click, no such option as you say.

I don't eject HDs. Have you tried dragging the HD or all of its volumes to the trash? k

Lightbulb

Panther began its life treating SCSI drives as "ATA" and, wrongly, as ejectable. It also lacked full support for Serial-ATA (which now has a tab in System Profile -> hardware, as well as a new item for Parallel SCSI).

If I eject one volume of a partitioned FW drive, all volumes are unmounted, while in Panther, I believe, you could unmount a single volume.

I didn't reply earlier because I felt that Tiger was doing a better job, and you don't want to mistakenly unmount hard drives (maybe even not show hard drives in Finder's Desktop).

Dragging to the trash works. Doh! I'm so right-click addicted that I'd forgotten completely about it. Certainly quicker than the DU deal. Can't really disagree that it's good to make HD ejection a not-too-easy thing...

T