Thread: iMac G4 Superdrive woes

Default iMac G4 Superdrive woes

Hey Mac Fans,

I've search high and low for the solution to my trouble. I am the owner of a previously owned iMac G4 15 ", with a superdrive. The trouble is the superdrive will not recognised CD's/ CD-ROM's /or DVD -RW discs. It does play DVD movies,but that is all. I want to clean the drive and do a fresh install of Panther, but since it won't recognise the CD-ROM I am stuck. I have repaired priviledges, fsck'd ,and downloaded and installed the driver from the mac website. The message after the install was that the software wasn't needed.
    The drive shows up fully supported in Profiler. It is a Pioneer DVR -104D.
    I read about "flashing" the drive but am somewhat reluctant.
    Any suggestions? Is the drive no good, should I bite the bullet and get a new drive.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks!

BigBake57

Not sure, but you probably already tried these:

1. Try zapping the pram or an open-firmware reset.

2. Clean the laser.

Not to jump the gun, but if the drive is wonky and cannot be fixed, here is an idea of what a replacement Superdrive will run you. G4 imacs are a little tricky to crack open, but doable if you are comfortable woking in computer hardware.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks for the advice. It seems as though I am destined to replace the optical drive. I have done all the resets I can think of,(firmware,NVRAM,OSX re-install) and the drive still won't recognise any CD or CD-ROMS. It still recognizes DVD and DVD-ROM's. So as of today I am using an external Lit-On CD-RW and cuising along. I will upgrade the drive later.

BB57