Thread: Blue screen after start up

Default Blue screen after start up

Hello, I have a mac g4 os 10.2 after starting it it does the usual grey screen with the circle then goes to a blank blue screen,and will go no further,can anyone please help me out?Thank you for your time. Bobby

Welcome Bobby.

Have you tried any of the troubleshooting on this page?

It would also help if you could be more specific about which G4 you have, RAM, drives, cards etc.

Thank you im looking into all options now,i will post back when i get something,im a self taught mac user,thats why im kinda in a jam,i use photoshop illustrator,and streamline for handdrawn art i do,and when something like this comes up im stuck,so i am looking through all the info you provided,thank you for your time! Bobby

Ok things are progressing i got an active desktop and am beginning reinstalling some stuff like streamline,im having a problem getting the classic start up to work though do you have any tips on making this work? Thanks again. Bobby

I never use "Classic" myself since the one OS9 app I still use will only work when actually booted from a 9 system. I started classic once just to see what it was like, and haven't touched it since.

I've read that if you do use classic it's best to install 9 first, then X onto the same volume. I use a separate volume for booting from 9. Keeps things cleaner that way.

I'm not familiar with Streamline. Is that a Haxie? I'm also not into all the 3rd party OS tweaks. I like to run things lean, and mean.

When doing any software installs always repair permissions after each install, and make sure everything is OK before moving onto the next.

I don't use 9 much and I never have used classic except to test a few years ago. I still boot back and forth from OS9 to OSX if needed. I advise keeping them on different drives or partitions. No experience with Streamline. - Randy

Lightbulb

I would skip bothering with Jaguar. Classic should be 9.2.2+ and doesn't need much if any extensions, OS X will add/update what is needed. Jaguar was sort of the last beta and a pain. So much software required 10.2.8 as a minimum, now it is more like 10.3.6/.9 or later. I think you'll find Tiger much better OS.

Make sure you have 512MB or as much as you can install, Radeon video, and that any other hardware (and software) is fully compliant.

Adobe Streamline will take a scanned or digital camera bitmapped image and convert it to vector lines. I would first save the bitmapped image in Photoshop. Then launch Streamline for it to do the conversion. Streamline had a lot of bells and whistles too. My recollection is that I used it primarily to create really great Encapsulated Post Script (EPS) drawings that could be resized without any loss of quality. At the time it was breathtaking quality. k

Lightbulb

Google: Adobe Streamline

now that you mention it, I think I remember hearing about it - over 12 yrs ago - when I was playing with Freehand some and converting a technical drawing/schematic - on an SE/30.

Adobe has discontinued the sale and development of Adobe® Streamline™ software. New, more powerful tracing capabilities have been integrated into Adobe Illustrator® CS2 software as the Live Trace feature, eliminating the need for the Streamline product. Live Trace offers enhanced tracing quality, functionality, and performance. Find out more by visiting the Illustrator CS2 product area or by reading the Live Trace white paper.

Well, im up and running again but my computer needs to be upgraded,can I go straight to a present up grade disc since i am bit behind on things im currently running 10.2 if i up grade will this eliminate the classic startup situation?Or will newer versions of the programs i use eliminate this factor?thanks for your time and help. Bobby

Any app should have system requirements in the documentation. You can have multiple OS on the same Mac as long as they are on separate volumes. If you need to have more than one app at a time then naturally they all have to be compatable with the same OS.

If all your apps are compatable with X then there's no reason to have OS9. My G4 doesn't have the horsepower to run an X compatable version of PTLE so I still need to boot from 9 to use PTLE 5. Once I upgrade the processor, and add more RAM I'll be able to kiss OS9 goodbye.

Thanx , im really into understanding my mac but feel overwhelmed most of the time,but im trying.Thanks for your help! Bobby

This is a great place to learn. No pressure.... ask questions and we try to answer. Serious, ask away there are some smart people here and me too. Enjoy that Mac.

I keep OS 9 and OS X apart. No Classic here I boot back and forth from OS 9.2.2 to OS X. I have a very few 9 applicatins and spend most of my time is OS X - Randy

Is 10.2 you highest OS CD? If so install it and get the lastest combo update to 10.2.8 from Apple 10.2.8 here. Here is a nice list of downloads. Or if you have 10.3.x then jump up to 10.3.9 with the combo update 10.3.9 right here. after install of any 10.3.x - Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Evil
    Thanx , im really into understanding my mac but feel overwhelmed most of the time,but im trying.Thanks for your help! Bobby
    Been there myself. This forum contributed to more of my Mac knowledge than any other source. That's not to say it's been my only source, just the primary one. You'll always get straight-up no BS replies here.

Like rwm I have to say there's quite a few here who have forgotten more than I know about these things, but they're always willing to help out a fellow Mac fan.

Hang out for a while, and enjoy the free education.