Thread: 300 GB HD only Shows 128 GB...HELP!?!

Default 300 GB HD only Shows 128 GB...HELP!?!

Please Help me! About 5 or 6 years ago, I bought an external Firewire hard drive from Club Mac to augment my storage on my old iMac G3 SE. It had an 80 GB HD in it and worked wonderfully until recently. The HD died and I had to replace it. I bought a 300 GB HD to replace the old 80 Gig in the external and it only shows up as a 128 GB HD. What gives? The new HD is a Maxtor Ultra16 300 GB, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache, Ultra Performance ATA/133 Ultra quiet FDB motor Hard drive which I was expecting to absolutely ROCK!

I now have a 1.2 GHz eMac running OSX 10.3.7, 768MB Ram, which is still under warranty. My fear is that the old Firewire Drive case only uses ATA/100 but I can't seem to find out that information from Apple System Profiler. I will include the Profile below:

FireWire Bus:

Speed: 400 Mb/sec Speed

Generic 1394 device:

Capacity: 128 GB
    Manufacturer: Indigita
    Model: Generic 1394 device
    Removable Media: No
    Detachable Drive: Yes
    BSD Name: disk2
    OS9 Drivers: No
    Speed: 400 Mb/sec Speed
    Unit Spec Id: 24734
    Firmware Revision: v1.0
    Unit Software Version: 10483

External Hard Drive:

Capacity: 127.87 GB
    Available: 127.82 GB
    Writable: Yes
    File System: Journaled HFS+
    BSD Name: disk2s3
    Mount Point: /Volumes/External Hard Drive

Can any help me figure out how I can work this out without having to spend too much more $$$?

thanks,
    Jim

Jim,

You are going to have to either find a firmware update for the Firewire bridge that gives it large drive capability or get a different Firewire enclosure. Unfortunately the ability to suppport large drive sizes is built into the bridge and some older bridges are not capable of being updated.

No way to tell what chipset from the information you posted. Probably Oxford911 is the most common. You might check the Oxford site and see if they have an updater that will work on it. Or research through the enclosure manufacturer's site.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Thanks for quick reply

Hi Ricks,
    Thanks for your quick answer! I have been doing some research on new drive enclosures, and it seems many of the new ones will handle the larger drives. I'll try the firmware update first to see if that helps. Unfortunately, the HD enclosure I have only says ClubMac¨ on it and nothing else.

I'll check back to see if you have any more comments. You are GREAT!!

Jim

Default OK, Updated firmware

Hi Ricks,
    I did as you requested and updated the firmware. You were right on the money, it was an Oxford FW911 chipset and I updated the firmware to v.3.8. I restarted my computer and used Disk Utility to reformat the drive and it still only reads as 128 GB. BUMMER!! What a great tip, too. So it looks like I may only have one choice to use my HD...to buy a new enclosure. I only have an eMac, so I was thinking a FW 400 enclosure should do the trick. Do you agree? Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time and energy,
    Jim

Maybe swap the drive into the eMac internally and use the internal drive in the case? You might be able to run Intech's firmware updater for large drive sizes. I am not sure it works in an eMac but you could check/ask. Intech Updater

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Yeah Jim, you can go internal with the big drive. Will be faster than any FireWire 400 case. We have swapped out a couple of them at my work.

It is a bit of a chore to swap the internal HD though... you will want to dig up some pics on the web to see the process before you begin. Not so much hard, just kinda tricky the first time you do it. I can help if you dive in.

If you decide to keep the big guy external, you can't do any better regarding speed and reliability than Granite products. Sold right here at the Gurus.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Good ideas

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the advice. I thought about putting it in internally, but won't that void my warranty? The computer I want to put it in was purchased in March 2004. I did buy an Apple Extended warranty. Any advice?

I changed the hard drive in my iMac G3 SE last spring...involved, but not too difficult. However, I have never been in an eMac before, so definitely interested in doing it...at some point. UnlceMac, I would be happy to have assistance. I am going right now to look at the Granite products.

I have had so much fun upgrading my Mac's! I have upgraded processors in a PowerComputing Powerbase 240, PowerMac 6500, PM 8500, & PM 9500 computers over the last few years. Much fun getting into them and troubleshooting issues. MacGurus have helped me out of several mind boggling issues (my mind anyway!).

Thanks again for your assistance,
    Jim

Default UncleMac, you still interested?

Hi UncleMac,

This was an older issue, but now I have been wondering about upgrading the HD on my 1.25GHz eMac and was wondering if you are still interested in helping me. I have tried looking up the process on the web, but the instructions aren't clear enough for me to have confidence starting on the project.

I changed the HD on my iMac DV G3, which is an all-in-one like my eMac, but I had just purchased a CD of Apple Tech Manuals, and the Manual was so clear that I had no problems at all following them. I haven't been able to find this for eMac yet. Any ideas? TIA

Jim

Default Still here.....

Hi again,

If you want to dig in, start with this other thread and the links in it. Pretty clear instructions with pics. Actaully looks a bit worse than it is IMHO.

Review them and ask away.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin