Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: HELP !! Installed new RAM in my QS and it's is dead now

Default more info and questions

Just so be sure - clear me up. What is the little button by the battery on DA/QS's when should it be pressed?

Also it looks like my friend held "control + option + o + f " not the Apple key when trying an OF reset after the new drives. It never worked again.

No OF reset was done after GF Ti, Seritek, 120 SATA Seagate install - Randy

Default From Apple site

..........fatchance, I had exactly the same problem you described about eight months ago on my G4 Quicksilver.
    There had been a power surge earlier that day and, as a result, my computer was doing exactly what you have described. After a call to our local apple reseller, we found what had happened was the power surge had tripped the internal circuit breaker. All I needed to do was press a reset button on the motherboard. The computer started up and worked fine ever since....

Default Not sure I am following (coming late).

But, (and I know you know!) but need to ask.

You are not hooking up both power supply cables and the data cable to the Raptor at the same time are you?

The Raptor can take both versions SATA Power and Molex Power, however only 1 can be used at once.

You may know this and forgive me if you did.

Command-option-o-f should work on any working Apple (pre-intel) system (not old world).

Are you running into a UPS of sorts? or just wall power?

Winter is a dangerous time for static (i know living where i live).. do be careful about grounding when you pull out cards / insert cards.

Also, I only replace 1 card at a time, or I have learned it can confuse the Open Firmware... just a note.

The PMU reset (little button) is not something that needs to be reset very often (if ever..).
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

No using the molex only.
    I rarely/never use PMU myself after the GF Ti, Seritek and Seagate all worked fine I installed the 2 new drives a SATA Raptor to Seritek and ATA DiamondMax 10, U-133 8MB Cache on stock bus. I decided to do an OF since it seems adviseable.

My friend that helps me out usually accidently pressed control +Option+O+F not Apple/CCommand key - whats this do? nothing happened and nothinhg has since.

Pissed, burnt and tired, Dang it why. ... reading over at Apple. - Randy
    Last edited by rwm; 02-02-2006 at 12:35 PM.

Default "control"

Quote Originally Posted by rwm
    My friend that helps me out usually accidently pressed control not Apple nothing happened and nothinhg has since.
    well that would have done nothing... not something your friend did with that key pattern.

do you have the service manual for G4's? it shows you how to trouble shoot PSU's, also, you can use your QS PSU if still around (on the DA), need to clip one wire to be safe.

i can email you, or figure out someway of sending the PDF if need be. <<EDIT>> better yet, search in Google for "PowerMac_G4.pdf" and it will come up in several spots.
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

My QS is doing the exact samething after installing new RAM it never worked... that is why I got the DA to move everything over to it. The RAM works fine all 1.5 GB.

The DA went screwy after installing the 2 drives - now disconnected. Again... My problem in a nutshell...
    I press the power button. Right when I release the power button, the light on it goes off (only stays on while the button is being pressed). The fans seem to go on like normal, but that's it. It won't boot to a CD or anything.
    Someone had a clearer explanation but can't find it now. - Randy

Thumbs up Improvements

After reading an article Jazzbo wrote over at an Apple discussion about PMU resets I decided to hold my PMU 20 seconds well I slipped at 16-17 anyhoo it booted. please keep work.

I have the DA/533 1.5 GB RAM, GF Ti, Seritek booting off 120 GB SATA Seagate and the stock ATA 40 gig. All backed up to FW.

So will a 20 second PMU reset boot the Quicksilver. Find out tomorrow.

I am feeling much better. Thanks for the support. - Randy
    Last edited by rwm; 02-02-2006 at 11:52 AM.

Default Woohoo!!

Great job hangin' in there. This is something new to me too.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

So leaning on the button is the key?

Making a mental note for future reference.

Funny I never thought of that. I always push a CUDA reset for 30 sec.

Wow, I wonder if that's what happened to my MDD and I just never held the PMU reset down long enough? Oh well, over a year gone now. Next time, I'll have something new to try.

Glad it's worked out for you though, Randy. That'd have sucked to torch two machines so fast. Instead, maybe you torched none.

Exclamation Moving forward with caution

Glad it's worked out for you though, Randy. That'd have sucked to torch two machines so fast. Instead, maybe you torched none.
    You don't know how happy I am. I could see no way I blew up to computers..... I might not be sharpest tool in the shed but I also am no idiot. Both times this happened the QS and DA was while changing hardware. I kept reading so many "proper" ways to reset the PMU and thought I had.

So tonight I'll try the QS and might have a good OS X computer backup - just as planned . I am feeling gun shy to add the Raptor to my Seritek or remove the stock 40 gig for my new ATA DiamondMax 10, U-133 8MB.

? ?'s I need both the Raptor (to Seritek) and DiamondMax set to "Master" right? (will be only drive on stock bus) The DiamondMax 10, U-133 8MB Cache it came with jumpers set as CS.

Randy
    Last edited by rwm; 02-02-2006 at 03:10 PM.

After further review the ATA drive is a "DiamondMax 10, U-133 8MB" and not a 120 GB Maxline III. I guess that was 6 weeks ago and just forgot which drive I finally decided on. - Randy

? ?'s I need both the Raptor (to Seritek) and DiamondMax set to "Master" right? (will be only drive on stock bus) The DiamondMax 10, U-133 8MB Cache it came with jumpers set as CS.

Randy
    Cable select should work, but it's not proven to be all that it should. Might as well set them master and have done with it if they're alone on their channels.

I could see no way I blew up to computers.....
    Yeah that's what was bothering me too about this whole fiasco. I just couldn't believe that anyone's luck could be worse than mine.

I always set jumpers to what is most appropriate for the situation, and always double check. Too many years of SCSI. A single drive gets set to master or in the case of WD single device.

I just installed the DiamondMax 10 and am getting ready to erase/format burn it in some. I am paranoid as hell scared to add anything.

And now if this all works I need the Giga from the QS or put all the drives, CDRW/DVDRW, Graphics all back to QS again. Using the QS as backup I have it's 733MHz processor vs. the 533MHz w/L3 in the DA. Hum ho - Randy

I think I would throw a drive, and some RAM in the QS then see if the extended PMU reset brings it back to life before making a final decision on hardware configs.

To tell you the truth I'm just curious to see if it really is a goner. Maybe you got your backup G4 in a roundabout way.

Forever the optimist......

I planned to tonight but got side tracked and put the DiamondMax 10 in. I have the drive I pulled from it. It is a good drive with a bootable partition I used weekly.

I have a gut feeling the QS OK it is acting exactly the same. that would be I was kinda of thinking the QS was fixable with some fiddling and work but with a 20 sec PMU reset. My best buddy will be as happy cuz now he can use it.

Randy

The Raptor is in and working just fine. I am still just transferring data on/off both new drives.

Now my Dual Giga (the version that needs thermal pads) sits alone in the QS. hum...... do I move the CD/DVD, RAM, Seritek, 3 drives, a GF Ti all back or put it in the DA. - Randy

The Raptor is in and working just fine. I am still just transferring data on/off both new drives.

Now my Dual Giga (the version that needs thermal pads) sits alone in the QS. hum...... do I move the CD/DVD, RAM, Seritek, 3 drives, a GF Ti all back or put it in the DA. - Randy
    Randy,

sorry, I am no help here.

If I got it right, you would like to test the 20sec reset on your QS right?

Best regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

If I got it right, you would like to test the 20sec reset on your QS right?
    Next move. everyone pray. - Randy