Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: HELP !! Installed new RAM in my QS and it's is dead now

Randy, what a bummer!

Would you clear up a detail, please?

From your first post,
    Quote Originally Posted by rwm
    On initial startup the button lit then quit put nothing in the computer case seem to make a sound.
    In a later post you said "This is a nicely written description of the problem.
    Quote:
    When I press the power button, the light on it goes off (only stays on while the button is being pressed). The fans go on like normal..."

Do your fans run when you turn the Mac on?

Dave.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Unc, Yes I have the stock 733 processor.

biggles, The Giga fan and intake fan come on until I let the power button go. I don't see red light on the mobo.

Nicolas, I'll read through those links. I have added, changed, swapped and tested RAM before grrrr - never a problem.

Thanks a lot for the support guys.
    Randy

Nothing new I have no clue as to where my Apple dealer would be.

I'd have to mail it off? Right?

I don't like this 7500 G3/500 OK, It's really helped but I want a 100MHz bus and G4 backup -- tired of OS9 here OSX there -- this is so slow to the QS.

Power Supply?
    That might sound good now. I have never needed to test these things or how.

Default mobo, PS, other...

What types of things should I look for ...... in regards to determining if it is the mobo or Power Supply.

I need OS X and I could be running from a FW drive with my bookmarks and helpers. So any links, mannuals etc.

So any link ... TZ, you have things in the FAQs too.

Randy,

if you want to try or if you know someone who can help you on this here are the pinouts to see what voltage on what pin:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/tips/MDD_...D_PS_Mods.html

Sorry, I just posted everything I found on Apples site about RAM and the QS.

Hope this is a bit more helpful.

BTW this guy installed a MDD PSU in his QS as a relacement.

Best regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Nicolas, I think that is digging a little deeper than I can walk anyone through and the friend who helped me start this is really bummed.

I've moved my G3/500 to, my QS desk with big screen. Feels better here and I can read the monitor. The other was a 15 or smaller.

I will set the QS up stock, original processor etc. in the next week and try once more but looks like I need to box it up and ship it away. I'll look for the closest Apple rep to my postal code 59860.

How can I tell if mobo or PS?

I am open to any ideas.
    Randy

Lightbulb

Rick had a 'fussy' QS that didn't like PCI cards. Randy, I have some links, mostly in MDD threads and pulled from the Tribe, on some stuff, and from XLR8yourmac articles. I just don't have all the 'mods' for PSU and fans etc in their own place. Maybe next year? Also, some links to places that sell logicboards.

PSU and fans - from MDD reference

But most of my focus has been on MDD (including places that sell a bare MDD case).

I know there are reports of how a bad RAM chip can fry a system - which could have happened (and wouldn't want to test).

You might just want to test the mobo - pull it and send it someplace? order a PSU (at least have a spare). The PSU can have to do a lot of extra work if it hasn't been on UPS.
    Last edited by TZ; 12-31-2005 at 12:32 PM.

Randy,

Can you update us on what is happening? k

Well sure but yall might think I went nuts. I have wanted and excuse to upgrade my 7500 G3 and after this I have decided to. If my backup was running OS X I could have plugged the FW drive into it and be going and not lost a step. So I have been looking at the first Sawtooth, DAs (a bare bones) and putting all my extra RAM, Video, Hard Drives, 733 MHz QS processor and CDRW if needed. That was plan 2 before the mobo/PS blowup. If I am patience there are some decent prices. Be a fun project.

But defiantly will fix the QS tired of running with this G3/520 even with Miles and 10K SCSI S_L_O_W dog.
    Randy

I borrowed my friends G4/400 "Yikes" PCI Graphics to, pull my daily data off my FW drive (thanks Kaye) and it ran so smooth compared to my G3/520.

So I decided to look for one of the first AGP's - there are the 466 DA's still that people don't realize "what they are" and like I said I have all the goodies from replacing components in my QS to put into another and make a great backup.

Then I'll look for a deal for my QS. - Randy

there are the 466 DA's still that people don't realize "what they are"
    And mighty fine machines those DAs. I wouldn't go any lower/earlier than an DA. Mine's been rock solid.

Yes I agree after watching prices the last few days a guy can find a DA 466 or 533 as cheapas many first Generation AGP 450/500. There are a lot of this vintage being sold now. After x-mas/new year selling. I've seen a good looking DA go for $150 to $250 which after adding all my extras would be great. I'll keep posting. Wish me luck I might use the eBay roulette table. I have had good luck there. Be cautious. - Randy

Will the Giga in your QS work in the DA? k

Talking I been thinking about that.

Yes it would. It came from biggles DA. I could move everything from the QS my Seritek +120 GB Seagate, GF Ti, then add all the RAM and put my new 74 GB Raptor and 120 ATA Maxline Pro in it. They are very much the same. Even tests better in some tests. (memory throughput) - cheaper than a mobo - but still need the QS or good G4 as a backup.

Got me really thinking now. I could be running the Dual Giga within a few weeks. One that should But damn I'd hate to run into any issues, problems, headaches it's been so solid.. then again a new/different mobo would be different than my dead one.

Randy

Confused What is going on.... please help

OK I am in a big mess. The DA/533 was running fine.
    This one here. I put my 3 - 512 RAM sticks in it and ran stock just fine for over a week. I just added my GF Ti, Seritek and 120 GB SATA. Things ran great. I booted off all three drives SATA, ATA, FW. After testing a hour I added the 74 GB Raptor to my Seritek and pulled the stock 40 gig and put a DiamondMax 10, U-133 8MB Cache in it.

Hit power and now have the same problem as my QS.... My problem in a nutshell...
    I press the power button. Right when I release the power button, the light on it goes off (only stays on while the button is being pressed). The fans seem to go on like normal, but that's it. It won't boot to a CD or anything.
    I hope I luck out and am missing something and not sitting here with 2 blown computers.

Thanks,
    Randy
    Last edited by rwm; 02-02-2006 at 12:35 PM. Reason: a fix

Ouch.

Possibly something about the Raptor or the Maxline? Did you try going back to the previous drive config?

If it does have to do with one of the drives I might suspect the Maxline first since it was on the internal bus.

Maybe something about that particular hardware combination. Too much load on the PSU at startup? Boot ROM issue?

Just thinking out loud here.......

All this stuff lately makes me seriously reconsider my storage plans. SCSI is not that difficult to set up, and works without issues when it's done right. Maybe it's more appropriate for G4s.

Wish I had more to offer in the idea dept, but I have 0 experience with SATA/Giga/N-Videa combos.

Yes. I pulled both power and data cables on the new drives. Added original 40 gig back. Same crap. - Randy