Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: HELP !! Installed new RAM in my QS and it's is dead now

David is the guy that Giga and Waypoint used to find and fix computers for them to use as test beds when QA testing the GIga upgrade cpus. He is a really nice guy and may be the right one for you. And I am able to help out a little to keep the costs down.

I look forward to seeing what might have caused this. You get an inkling it is the RAM and we'll swap it out and get it tested. Hate to have some stupid little part giving such problems.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Intermittent problem

Rick and all

Even after running a few weeks I did finally find.... 1 bad RAM stick from the 2 that I recently bought. (Sending an email to support). I had 1 older 512 Guru stick (When my QS was new) and 2 new 512 Guru sticks.

I ran memtest in several configurations, different RAM, different RAM slots. The only time I get a message is when "the same stick" is in the mix.

Now that does not solve my Giga problem. Because I pulled both new sticks and the Giga still was bad. I better call Tim. - Randy
    Last edited by rwm; 03-14-2006 at 09:10 PM.

Quicksilver is fixed and back home and running the stock 733 just fine. Working good with Tim to get my Dual Giga in the DA then this pain will have ended actually better. Thanks a million Rick and everyone! - Randy

Thumbs up

Cool! The nightmare is almost over.

Rolleyes Giga is back...

Well

First I left only the "master" drive on the stock bus 10.4.6 brand new install- removed my Seritek and SATA drives in my DA.

Installed it today around noon in the DA. It went in just easy, nice chime... booted just fine and was letting it run with iTunes it gave me the screen that is dimmed and in several languages says you need to shutdown your computer after 15 minutes....

Then my Internet right in my neighborhood went out while swapping the CPU. I am using the Giga/DA now but am thinking I'll shift main drives to QS and work on the Giga/DA. Then... I been wondering if I'd have better luck getting it back in the Quicksilver. It was flawless in there. I don't know what to do.

Any pity accepted
    Randy

I feel your pain brother.

I think I'd stick with the Giga in the DA myself. Just my $.02. It already tried to kill your QS.

Could it have been a heat issue? It's been hot here lately.

Maybe you should just shut it down, and let it sit for a day. It worked for me.

Thumbs up Maybe

I put my good equipment Seritek, Raptor, SATA..... back in the DA with the 533 and everything is chugging happily.

The friggin Giga I tossed in the QS with all my old stuff drives, graphics, RAM and been running iTunes with the visualizer for 25 minutes now no problems. Maybe I be ing soon.

Maybe there's something with that DA? The Giga lived in the QS nearly a year before the things blew. I am guessing the "blow up = Mobo/Giga" came from a friend helping me install RAM.

Default Ugh

Well I was starting to post 50 minutes of non stop iTunes with visualizer on....

It just gave me the screen that is dimmed and in the center in several languages it says you need to shutdown your....

I'll get with Tim at Giga. G'night all.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy to Tim
    First, I left only the "master" drive on the stock bus 10.4.6 brand new install- removed my Seritek and SATA drives in my DA.

Installed it yesterday around noon in the DA. It went in just easy, nice chime... booted just fine and I was letting it run with iTunes visualizer on and it gave me the screen that is dimmed and centered in the screen several languages says you need to shutdown your computer after 15 minutes.... music sounded stuck in the stereo.
    ---------
    Then...
    I tossed it in my QS also 10.4.6 with all my older stuff (drives, graphics) RAM and been running iTunes with the visualizer for 25 minutes now no problems. Again a good install, easily booted up. later..
    I was starting to post 50 minutes of non stop iTunes with visualizer on.... It just gave me the same screen that is dimmed and in the center in several languages it says you need to shutdown your....
    ------------
    I ran it 30 minutes or more the next day with no applications running. Then friends came I lost track of time and found it froze with the flurry screen saver. I thought I had the damn screen saver off.

Thanks Tim
    Randy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim from Giga support
    Hi Randy,

Thanks for the update. With two machines doing similar things, I?m curious to know if we have a speed related issue. Please reduce the upgrade to 1.2GHz (J18, J19, J20, and J21 ON) and see f the problems go away.

Best Regards,
    Have not tried yet....

Unhappy

Ive heard a lot of bad news about Flurry and I always try to remember to delete the bugger.

What I do is to also set screen saver to a photo library folder.

Sorry this just doesn't seem to want a quick easy solution.

What I do is to also set screen saver to a photo library folder.
    Raptor and main computer are.

I need another jumper. Any special size?
    Tim, Look at this Giga link

http://www.gigadesigns.com/index.asp...n=Custom&ID=11

1.2 GHz says J12, J13, J14, J15 for the 133 MHz bus. Not J18, J19, J20, and J21. I have the original B/W install guide around but don''t see it to close now.
    Randy

Default FWIW Drive temps

Between swapping things around in my DA and QS I got the year old Seagate SATA drive off the Raptor in the center. I put it in the front.

The Seagate SATA drive now in the front maxes out around 45C - not great but better.
    The Raptor, now in the bottom middle stays cooler and reaches a 35C maximum about 2-5 degrees cooler.
    The back has a 6 month old Maxtor ATA drive that I can't get temps on.

Default Display seems great...

I knew this old 19" Hitachi has seen better days but I do a few things on the iMac and check back ... this screen looks fuzzy, unfocused, not clear.

I just easily talked myself into a new 17 or 19 inch LCD or something as good as the iMac screen. Which LCD do I want... any ideas please post. I have a GF Ti4600 card.

I'm in the same boat. I have a couple of 17" CRTs, and neither are very good. I need more real estate, and i'm getting tired of the damn noise when sitting in front of the screen with a guitar.

I've seen 20" widescreens for around $300, but how good are they? I don't need accurate color since I'm not doing graphics work, but sharp is required.

I also don't want to pay $300 for something that's gonna die in a year, and need to be shipped off for warranty service like one of my CRTs.

I've seen 20" widescreens for around $300, but how good are they? I don't need accurate color since I'm not doing graphics work, but sharp is required. I also don't want to pay $300 for something that's gonna die.....
    I have seen the G5 iMac 23 inch screen and not overly impressed. A 17/19/20 inch would be great and use this as a second. 300 bucks ouch .. What will 200 bucks buy. I don't need super color but I like the clarity. I never trusted LCD before.

I started a thread on a new monitor not long ago.