Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: HELP !! Installed new RAM in my QS and it's is dead now

Rolleyes HELP !! Installed new RAM in my QS and it's is dead now

I cannot get the QS to do anything. I pulled the battery, reset mobo.

I had all my parts in hand and was getting ready to install the RAM, an ATA and SATA Drives with Tiger. We will get to the Drives latter, They are still unopened Yes 1 at a time.

RAM first - I had three RAM sticks in my QS a 512 Gurus and a 256 OEM + 128 OEM.

I pulled the 256 + 128 and replaced with 2- 512 Guru RAM sticks.

On initial startup the button lit then quit put nothing in the computer case seem to make a sound. The computer would not turn on. There is no time to boot from a CD, another drive the button just lights and goes back out. It seems not to read Key strokes either.

Ive tried the RAM in most every variation it could be. This is not looking good for some reason. Start giving me suggestions or things I should look for.

EDIT: Found out the RAM was not seated properly on startup

Thank God for the ol G3/520 7500
    Randy
    Last edited by rwm; 01-05-2006 at 08:55 PM.

Disonnect the power cord, take the battery out, and push the power button. Re-install the battery, and it should boot.

Where or when do you connect power cord? - Randy

Ah, sorry. After pushing the power button. The idea is to drain all the current from the PSU caps, and force the Mac to re-assess all it's hardware.

Thanks M -- no go I tried that this afternoon. I think. But tried it again. - I am thinking something real ulgy might have happened. Don't seem like RAM.

Only using my 512 original Guru's RAM stick now. - Randy

Ouch. I take it you can't make it to open firmware then?

Did you try re-installing your original RAM? Could be a bad stick. It does happen.

Another thought may be to re-install the stock processor. The Giga could be part of the problem if things are reset to stock. I know that's a bummer, but with stuff like this it's often easier to go back to square one.

Ouch. I take it you can't make it to open firmware then?
    Did you try re-installing your original RAM?
    Another thought may be to re-install the stock processor. The Giga could be part of the problem
    A No, go....
    Tested several RAM setups.
    I though of that but I have added, traded, tested other RAM in my QS with the Giga or some for sure with the Giga - Randy

Well that doesn't give any comfort does it?

If it were me I think I'd put everything back to stock, pull the battery, discharge the PSU, and let it sit for a day before throwing in the towel. Stranger things have happened.

Yes, power and battery are pulled, cut, yanked overight tonight still with the Giga I'll see tomorrow. Bumend out and tired... Randy

Sorry to hear that Randy.

Just some random thoughts if you are still a no go tomorrow.....

Did you install your SATA card yet? Had a QS with a clean install of 10.4.3 on the native ATA bus at work that I added an older Firmtek card to, and it would not give any video out signal. Tried multiple known working video card and RAM, but no luck. I had done multiple upgrades and thought that the video card died, so it took a while to sort it out the SATA issue. Likely an older firmware version, but this QS did not like that card. Once SATA card was pulled, video was back and everything was just fine.

I vote for going back to all stock/minimal config for RAM and CPU too if no luck after the voodoo reset, and you might consider trying to start up with no RAM and then no CPU to see if it beep correctly. Might give clues about the health of the logic board.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58442
    Last edited by unclemac; 12-27-2005 at 10:50 PM.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Hello guys,

I am not that good with the QS, but AFAIK there should be two buttons on the Mainboards one is reset one is PMU reset.

I would try to:

1. open your mac (now with one 512MB) and hit the PMU button.

2. put the additional 2 512 sticks back in and push the PMU button again.

3. Close the case of your QS and try to start again.

Best regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Unhappy

Thanks, I have tried them all or the few I can. I really don't think this is RAM related. The computer gives me no time. This is a nicely written description of the problem.
    When I press the power button, the light on it goes off (only stays on while the button is being pressed). The fans go on like normal, but that's it. The hard drives never start spinning, the optical drive makes no sound at all. The little red light on the Logic board does stay on however. Also, holding down the power buttom for 8 seconds does shut the computer down. The computer never chimes like it normally does on startup.
    I tried a few things to try and get it to work with no luck, but in trying I did discover a few interesting things. When the hard drives are not connected to the Logic board they power up, also the Optical drive makes some noise when it is not connected to the Logic board.
    I have found others with the same problem. - all were a bad MOBO.

I'll give the "bare bones" test a try. Where do I srtart looking for a place to ger this fiixed?
    Randy
    Last edited by rwm; 12-28-2005 at 06:07 PM.

A quick Google Mac search turned up quite a few possibilities for logic boards. Unfortunately none I saw I would consider "cheap". Maybe somebody here can suggest a good source.

If this is a common problem with QS I'm not sure I'd want to go there anyway. You could sell your QS parts, and get that G5 you've been wanting.

I got more computer than I really need ... I just want it back.

A G5 still to many $$$'s Two, 3, 4... years.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Guru Greentree fixed my G4 when it did this

1 remove all ram

2 press mobo reset button

3 press power button (you should get the no ram chimes*)

4 Power down and reinsert ram

5 press reset

6 boot normally

Hope it works
    Damien,

Randy,

If nothing else yet to be tried as a possibility works, and the Greentree fix does not work, then the least expensive QS mobo I know of is $295 but I know nothing about their reputation. k

Oh man,

My apologies, I was totally buried in sales and support yesterday and just got to this. I have a few source ideas that I will check out. I have been there myself. Turned out to be a fried CPU and not the motherboard although I did replace the power supply before figuring it out.

We'll ask Jazzbo to check around Apple and see who they get boards from in house/. Apple contracts that out, we want to use their contractor if we can.

Another source might be GIga Designs. They buy stuff like that all the time. I will ask.

You might call AllMac. Even though they say they are out of the repair business they are good. 1-800-we-fix-macs

I'll do some searches with follks I know as well.

Sorry for the problems Randy. I really feel for you.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Thanks guys

I'll give the "power/ greentree voodoo" another night or two and pull my Giga. I have this QS with new and quality equipment sitting here. The new mobo seems best buy for me - no MDD/G5. Any thoughts welcomed ... ya got my email too. - Randy

You do have your old CPU right? If not I have a QS CPU around here somewhere.....
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin