Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Disk Repair Utilities

Lightbulb Disk Warrior 4

Can't get through to the server yet...but here it is for anyone interested. http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html

Disk Warrior 3 looks nice. Much much faster. no more having to wait an hour to scan a volume with OS X, or a 40GB drive that is 75% full.

got my upgrade order in, also placed order for a full copy (no way was I going to wait two more weeks after two years and an extra month (was suppose to ship in early April).

Definitely want to give this a run on some drives.

cool:

Cool, been waiting. Thanks, Randy

A word to the wise warning. On two machines so far, after running Disk Warrior, it would not shut down or restart, even though (of course) it was run against drives other than startup. And without the CD or a CD burner, I was booting off other drives. Each Mac runs off SCSIs.

You expect every situation to be tested for. Can't. But how did this fall under the radar if true? I've seen vendors not test and take for granted that something works when in fact it may not. Apple's 10.2.5 and USB for one. ATTO drivers not working with Disk Warrior (OS 9) when using ExpressStripe. A failure to test Apple RAID in another.

The WTC twin towers were never tested for fire. In other situations, a test would have been next to impossible and rare, so it was never tested (NASA). Lack of imagination to foresee a scenario.

Didn't find any trouble on force shutdown and reboot (fsck, disk utility, but haven't run DW again). Very disconcerting.

Gregory,

?Wonder what DW 2 would say? Would it fix it? And can we do a bug report to Alsoft. Alsoft has been one of the best at receiving input from users.

Rick

btw, as soon as it shows up here I will test on my ATTO/Atlas scsi drives to see if the same thing happens.

Actually, Drive10 is able to build a new directory and defrag files or optimize. But Disk Warrior 3 still shows signs of something amiss. Even though I could run on a FireWire drive without trouble, I couldn't unmount it later. The same trouble with shutdowns or restarts hanging. Seems to happen the first time DW3 is run on a volume, but subsequent repairs may not produce the freeze.

I had to force quit the system a number of times. In the process, it seems to have "taken out" my internal ATA drive of data and system - you know, something to use if/when SCSI is trouble or not an option.

I'm not hopeful that Alsoft will find or figure out why either. I'd make sure to have Drive10 (free upgrade to TechTool Pro 4 when that is available) as an optional alternative. DW2 takes an hour. DW3/D10 take minutes. And I don't want to boot into OS 9.

- G.

Drat.

But I guess DW was not "perfect" until 2.x.

So G, are you recommending TT4/Drive10? Any serious limitations or questions by your (very excellant) standards?

And thanks for the first feedback on DW3!

[This message has been edited by newbie (edited 12 May 2003).]

Drive 10 has its own problems and issues and isn't perfect either.

If you do what you should be doing anyway, have a safe backup that is NOT online, preferable two backup sets, and have a backup system as well as one for emergency.

Drive10 can take forever with its Directory and optimization routine. Far more than updating your backup set and then restore. People want to fix a problem. They want to feel that they did something to improve their system. Disk drives use to be small and slow. Today, even with 40GB of data, your probably best off investing in ATA or FireWire or SCSI RAID for a backup sets. If you know you'll be baby-sitting for two hours and may in the end need to backup/erase anyway...

If I just "use the computer" I'm pretty safe. Its when I test hardware and software that things get gummed up.

I think Disk Warrior's new Directory gives a drive 80% or more of the benefit of optimizing by optimizing the directory, the catalogue of where files are stored, and let the drive deal with the rest. If you NEED to have contiguous files, zero fragments (for audio/video purposes), then a scratch disk that was erased and used for output only.

A new WD 80GB Caviar SE (8MB cache) is under $100. Get a couple, and use them for scratch, for output, etc. Can't buy a drive every 12-18 months? They improve every six months. When and what would $200 buy three years ago in a drive? 75GB at one point, 2GB SCSI only 5 yrs ago. Not even 100MB in 1990. Drives are cheap as 512MB DRAM almost.

By July, everyone will hopefully be working or waiting on seeing what filesystem Panther sports. It's a moving target.

Lots more trouble that Drive 10 and Disk Warrior tried and said was repaired or okay by Apple First Aid finally? None of my drives were on the desktop this morning, so I gave up, initialized the problem drive, and booted off the 2nd copy of the system on my boot drive.

One 18GB drive with two partitions with OS X on each.
    Another 36GB drive for data files is the one with trouble but securely backed up.
    Essential to have another volume to boot from quickly.

Neither utility is ready.

That's what I was afraid of. I really wonder if we will ever have a mature 3rd party directory utility for anything less than 10.3.x....

Right now my money is on "no".

Thanks.

Trouble seems to find me. So if stuff is working perfect, it might. It might be that not every possible problem was tested.

I still think the Cocktail 2.2.1 may not be okay to allow to do anything it wants, to run it in pilot mode, or something.

Sometimes, less is more. Backup. Be happy!

And I wonder if MicroMat and Alsoft tests each other's product? does Drive 10 do something that confuses Disk Warrior? I read that MicroMat gets advance early versions of Apple software. I've also read that they wait to see what gets changed and ships. it was weeks if not months for software and firmware to catch up to new OS updates.

The folks at SoftRAID have written code only to see last minute changes requre work, rewrites, and more work.... so they wait. And we wait.

A hard reboot is NOT safe or easy on hardware. Which is one reason I love having an ADB keyboard to use for such things on my B&W... one of the reasons I bought it rather than waiting and getting a G4 non-ADB system.

A lot of people are using Drive 10 and satisfied. And DW3 should be arriving via email for lots more. And to think I went and bought a 2nd copy just to have it early and to be legit if I install it on my backup system.

Some good news, and some bad news. The good news, that I'm the only person so far that has seen or reported a problem restarting or shutdown after repair. The bad news, I've seen it some more.

Alsoft hopes to try and test using B&W along with ATTO UL3S.

I recieved this email from Alsoft:
    Tim,

We will start shipping the CDs in the next few days. Once your CD ships
    you will receive an email confirming your ship date.

We have tested DiskWarrior 3 on many different SCSI configurations and we
    have not come across any problems restarting or shutting down.

--
    Mike Rogers
    Alsoft Tech Support
    www.Alsoft.com

And ATTO was caught off guard with OS 9.2.1 in B&W G3's, too. Or that Drive 10 was never tested specifically with Apple RAID. I know - from SoftRAID - that the Yosemite is a strange animal and unlike any other. Which is a good reason to make sure to test anything SCSI with a B&W.

But, it happened at least four times on two machines. And one of those was updates to multiple drives, SCSI and ATA.

ATTO ExpressStripe volumes under OS 9 didn't work with Disk Warrior 2.1, and I tried to get both companies to "TALK" to each other. Apparently they don't unless forced to.

Tomorrow I hope to test DW3 in Beige on ATA drive.

Some companies don't do testing in a methodical method to insure that they have tested every combination or environment. Sometimes you learn that the firmware on a drive is an issue. the Atlas 10K.4 is too new and could be one issue - its my boot drive most of the time, or an OEM Hitachi 15K.

When I talked to FWB about my SCSI drives that didn't have profiles, they wanted ME to send THEM the drives, rather than ask Hitachi or Maxtor or buy them on their own.

- G.

I received my DiskWarrior 3 CD yesterday but you guys are making me think I should just store it away for awhile until the dust settles and 3.1 is available, or until Panther arrives and 3 will have to be updated by Alsoft. That's what I get for preordering at Macworld SFO 2003. k

kaye,

www.MacInTouch.com has this comment:

quote:
    "Laurence Perrin reports a new, Mac OS X-bootable version of the DiskWarrior data-recovery utility:
    Just receved DiskWarrior 3.0 and it fixed problems booting into OS 9.2.2 that I have had for many months. I was able to boot from the Diskwarrior CD directly into OS X."

The trouble with a lot of testing is that you may not have people doing things normal people do. So, why can consistently and repeatedly trigger "unusual" behavior (taking far too long to shutdown, and never completing, hanging at the "gear wheel"), is troubling me. Or, why the OS always takes longer, using SCSI drives, for a restart or shutdown, compared to IDE?

I'm actually surprised at how few have received DW up to this point, or have commented on MacFixit and other places.

Some drives had problems with the lack of a proper wrapper. Some did not. But I have no idea why. None of the drives were giving me trouble (except FireWire). never had trouble switching between OS 9/OS X. But on a couple occasions DW wouldn't continue until it fixed that problem (and no option, not a choice).

Also, the repair report is ONLY in ".pdf" format!! No option for text, no way to copy and paste the error report. You have to open it in Preview and then save/export as text. Usually, you want text, so you can email it or post it online. What are they thinking?

[This message was edited by Gregory on Sat May 17, 2003 PT at 15:08.]

Gregory, I think I'll just wait it out. My DW 2.1.1 CD boots OS9 just fine with all three of my Macs/clones and repairs and rebuilds without problems. This is one area that I don't want to be on the bleeding edge. k

more trouble to report.

Booted from the CD.

"Disk Warrior encountered an unexpected error while attempting to show the disk "xxxxxxxx" on the desktop.

"Rebuild this disk again. Preview th edisk and backup all files from the preview disk. (2168, 4203)"

Booted into OS 9.2 and ran DW 2.1 from there where it found and repaired damaged boot blocks.

Sent a letter to Alsoft.

This is unacceptable. I've never had trouble before using and running Disk Warrior. Maybe they'd better invest in some of the current 10k and 15K drives etc and insure there isn't a problem in that direction.

- G.

quote:
    DiskWarrior 3.0: Installing older versions

After installing DiskWarrior 3.0, several users are having problems installing an older version of the software on a separate Mac OS 9.2.2 drive on the same system.

The installer seems to fail every time on the process "Install Scripts." Using the "custom install" option should allow normal installation. www.macfixit.com

- G.