Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SCC SATA Drives?

Thumbs down SCC SATA Drives?

This is my combination in the PCI-X 133 slot. The card shows up in the system profiler, but no drives show up (2 seagate 7200.9)(Burly box)conections seem secure. Any thoughts? If this has been asked before, I am glad to go to those archives if anyone can point the way. Thanks a lot.
    Oh yeah, OSX 10.4.2

Lightbulb

Stevez,

Some thoughts here: resetting nvram when adding controller

yes, I have read of similar reports, and off the top of my head, can't remember how it played out, but there are links to 4 threads and reference guide in the above thread.

Default Seriteck1VE4 + Mac G5 2.5

I will explore your suggestion. Another question however. In the Burly box, there are two sets of unmated wires. There is a set from the av plugs in the back going nowhere in the box. On the inside front, there are some red black and brown wires from the led on the panel.

By the way, will these drives "sleep" when not in use? Right now they are spinning, and the fan is running while not in use.

Also, can we turn the box on and off at will or is there some specified procedure to access these drives? I may only want to turn them on for emergencies and back ups, etc.

Thanks for your help.

OK I did the nvram thing and now the card is not being recognized at all.

OK now the car IS being recognized. when I shut off the box, I got those messages saying you should not do that, showing the place where those drives would be on the card, but they are nowhere on the desktop or drive utility or profiler, etc....

The Burly enclosure has a lot of purpose built in, we only use the parts that apply to a particular application. If you needed, you could install a CD/DVD player and take analog sound off via the RCA plugs you mention.

Also the LED activity light wires do not have anything currently to hook to in SATA. We are working on a solution but it isn't available yet.

You should only have data cables and power cables attached to each drive.

We have had no troubles quite like what you are experiencing except in PCI G5s. Getting the message when you power off the drives indicates that the Seritek is seeing the drives.... you might try keeping the power on to the Burly enclosure and attaching one of the data cables to the card and seeing if you can then format the drive with Disk Utility.

When you want to dismount a drive first toss it in the trash or use DIsk Utility to dismount the drives. Then you can power down the Burly. When you want the drives back mounted just power up the Burly and they will mount. Every time you power down you will get that silly warning.

We'll keep at this and figure it out.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

You are saying that this problem has occured before with PCI-X G5's?
    There must be some history of solutions...?
    Oh yeah, the G5 starts up longer now and shuts down longer now and the activity is showing a highly active kernal task at the beginning: 100+%.

"you might try keeping the power on to the Burly enclosure and attaching one of the data cables to the card and seeing if you can then format the drive with Disk Utility."

do you mean attach one cable instead of two? also meaning pull one of the two out of the card?

1st) No, I have seen issues with timing and mounting with the latest PCI G5s, the ones that do not have PCI-X. The PCI G5s were somewhat crippled by Apple, shouldn't have ever existed. Throughput on them is so bad they make a Blue and White look good.

2nd)yes, shutdown, disconnect both drive cables from the card, reboot.

On reboot hold the Command+Option+O+F keys. This will let you reset the Open Firmware. At the '>' prompt type:

>reset-nvram
    Hit Return
    >set-defaults
    Hit Return
    >reset-all
    Hit Return and your computer will restart.

Then, after booting up run disk utility. Poweer up the Burly, let it warm up for 30 seconds or so and hook up one of the SATA cables to the card and see if you can format it. If so, add the second and repeat.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

"The PCI G5s were somewhat crippled by Apple, shouldn't have ever existed. Throughput on them is so bad they make a Blue and White look good."

Do you mind saying a bit more about this?
    These PCI-X cards are promising great thru-put.

I just realized your title says you have a 2.5 GHz machine, it has PCI-X. My comment had to do with the low end G5 that shipped with PCI this year, it doesn't apply to you
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

I had already done the OF thing, to no avail. I tried your latest suggestion, also no luck there. I get a 100% CPU activity on "kernal_task" tho. The oddest thing continues to be those error messages upon disengagement tho, indicting the computer knows where the device is.

By the way, when this system works, do the burly drives sleep? Does the fan turn off?

I actually have no idea if you can sleep a drive attached to a FIrmtek card. We never ever sleep a hard drive around here and I am afraid that leaves a big hole in our knowledge. Never been asked that before. No, the Burly has nothing in it that can do a shutdown of the fans. It is designed to stay up 24/7 or be shutdown when not needed.

Do you have another computer to try the card and drives in? The only other thing I can think of doing beyond this is to replace the host card.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

One other thing to try right away is to get a firmware updater from Firmtek and see if that fixes it. They have several versions and do not publish them. You might try them at info@firmtek.com and see if they can provide a newer one. Certainly an easy thing to try.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Thank you for your comments Rick. Here is what the developer of the card said:

"Since the Burly Box uses a solution which is not endorsed by SATA-IO group (www.sata-io.org) we have first to eliminate the possible conflict between the Burly Box and SATA signals.
    Please test first a single Seagate drive by by-passing the Burly Box. If that would work, Burly Box would emerge as a prime suspect.

Of course, there is a possibility, there is some incompatibility between the controller and the drive. If that would be the case, I would appreciate if you could send the drive to:"

So I guess I am going to have to mess around with all this. Certainly I cannot be the first person with a Mac g5 2.5 adding Seagate 7200.9's via the Seritek1VE4 card thru the Burly box???

We just got the first 7200.9s in last week. I have yet to have any here at the office for testing. I will get our technician at the warehouse to install one and test tomorrow.

I like how Firmtek is going to pass on any support. So nice of them. They didn't complain any while we sold their cards and our box until they wanted to beat up competitors because of their own enclosure marketing. Too bad we have sold so many hundreds that worked this last 2 years. Along with Granite Digital, CoolDrives, ProMax and a gazzilion other enclosure manufacturers that use the exact same cabling as we do in our Burly enclosures. Wonder if Firmtek cares to support things any longer?

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Have to agree Rick.

Even if the methodology that Firmtek is suggesting is somehow lacking or less reliable on paper, the fact of the matter is that every box I have seen in the SOHO market is constructed this way, including 3 (two different brands - not Burly) at work. To the best of my knowledge, this is not a common problem, nor have I seen or heard of problems with this internal design up to this point.

Ironically, I just pulled a RAID array from a box with the same construction that is being questioned that worked perfectly for the last year connected to a MDD G4 server via fire wire. Installed it internally in a new HP Windows 2003 Server, thus removing the - according to this support answer - questionable backplane completely. Connecting to a new and up to date SIIG SATA card internally, the RAID choked the newly installed and up to date OS, and it was slow and unstable, would disappear, and act strange with bad performance. So removing the second series of internal ports/cable made the array less stable, not more in this case.

Something is not right. We have always depended on and were proud of their products and support. I sincerely hope this is not a sign of the road ahead.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Lightbulb

Don't rule out Tiger on this. SIIG's SATA 4-channel isn't supported. And I came away from talks with SoftRAID that Apple made a lot of changes. One thing to try in such cases, if you have not yet, is to go back to 10.3.9. It was working? now does not? Also, 10.4.3 is suppose to be near release and includes over 500 bug fixes.

Some thoughts and some things I could do...
    1. My G5 2.7 DP has the SeriTek/1VE4 installed in a 100MHz slot, 10.4.2 (8C46). The card has firmware (ROM revision) 5.1.2.1VE4. Currently I am running 4x Raptor74 drives as part of my 12-drive FrankenRAID SCSI/SATA/SCSI with SoftRAID 3.2.1. The Raptors are in a Burly 4-bay enclosure with absolutely no problems.

2. I have the SeriTek/1EN2 SATA External 2-bay Enclosure but never found a use for it. I don't have a 7200.9 drive but if you want to send me one Rick, I will try it in the 1EN2 enclosure. If I like it, I will buy it from you, preferably one of the larger sizes, but best that it be the same size that stevez is having trouble with. I see nothing in his posts about which size he is using.

3. Alternatively, I have what I think would be the latest or near latest firmware flash stuff and instructions that FirmTek Tech sent me for the 1VE4, image dated August 21, 2005, tho Tiger System Profiler sez 06/15/05. Anyway, I could send to you Rick or to stevez, your choice.
    k

OK folks, here is some news. By the way I am ROM up to date on this 1VE4 card.

The Seagate drives do not show up ANYWHERE. I removed my raptor drive from the G5 internal bays, and put the seagate in there, and it did not show up thru the internal data cable, nor thru the 1VE4 card. Now what?

What size is your drive. I'm looking at the 500GB model and need to check some specs on the FirmTek web site. k