Thread: First Post After Giga upgrade!!

Thumbs up First Post After Giga upgrade!!

Hi All!

I got my new Giga Dual 1.3 installed in my sawtooth G4 (500mhz) a couple of hours ago, and so far so GREAT! EVERYTHING just feels so much faster now! I haven't really put it through it's paces yet, but I did render a small 740x480 96 frame animation in Lightwave that I had specifically set up to test the improvement in speed. Before the Giga install each frame averaged 1:30 to render with anitialiasing set to low (5 passes) After the install each frame averaged 30 seconds flat! many as low as twenty seconds!

I have been lurking about these forums over the last couple of weeks while contemplating which card to buy, and found Macguru to be most helpful in all the small details involved in an upgrade of this nature. This forum gave me the confidence to buy!

Thanks everyone!!

Jack

Lightbulb

I hadn't noticed your were hanging out even. Glad it went so well. After you have had it running for a couple weeks, you might want to add an entry in CPU Upgrade Database and in the meantime see what others have done to test, benchmark, etc.

Sounds like this was a 300-400% boost!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TZ
    I hadn't noticed your were hanging out even. Glad it went so well. After you have had it running for a couple weeks, you might want to add an entry in CPU Upgrade Database and in the meantime see what others have done to test, benchmark, etc...
    Hi TZ,

Yes thanks, I'll do that.

Quote Originally Posted by TZ
    Sounds like this was a 300-400% boost!
    Yeah! so far besides the Lightwave test, I've tested two of my old games: Unreal Tournament (the original) and Giants Citizen Kabuto. Remember that one? Unreal has seriously improved! I'm getting an avereage of 60-70 fps instead of my usual 25-36 fps! But for some reason Kabuto runs WORSE with the dual, I'm guessing It dropped to maybe 10 fps on a section I had just been playing before the upgrade. Could it be a Ram issue? (not enough) But then again it is an old game...

I will be Testing Photoshop, Illustrator & Mirage over the next few days.

Thanks!

Jack

Welcome JackDel, Glad your happy and the people here are just flat Smarter than heck too. I found the site a few years back and have learned sooooo much.

Gaming software is usually not written to take advantage of Dual processors. I play Unreal at times to .. the older OS 9.x 436 version and it plays better. I upgraded from a 733MHz QS to a Dual Giga 1.3 - The OS X Demo version of Unreal was too sluggish on the 733 but plays great on the Dual 1.33GHz.

You might try turning one processor off and see how it plays.

I decided to test and compare a number of things with just a Single 1.33GHz a while back... I forgot to turn them both back on. I worked all day before I noticed it. But I really don't load things up much. The single 1.3GHz hit scores right in the middle of the 733 vs. the Dual 1.3.

Glad things went good and hang around. Some great people here.

Randy

Another Moderator, Damien has this small gaming site with helpful tips.
    http://www.macmeisters.com/~damien/

Smile

Hi rwm!

Thanks for the welcome and for the link. As far as the Giants game, it is supposed to be optimized for dual processors! Anyway I thought of trying it with one. But haven't had the time, maybe this weekend. I am running OS X only on my system and X Unreal really rocks! I'm now thinking maybe I should down load the new Ureal 2004(?) demo

Thanks again!

Jack