Thread: problem with memory upgrade for G4 PCI graphics

Default problem with memory upgrade for G4 PCI graphics

I currently have 128 mb in my machine and want to upgrade it. I bought 2 256 mb modules from Kingston. I installed them individually (I took out the 128) and each one caused a freeze. I took the machine and the memory to the Apple store--they said the memory was bad. I returned them, got new ones, and they did the same thing. I returned the Kingston for a refund and got 2 from Crucial. The same problem happened. The machine starts loading and then the whole thing freezes (I have had to unplug it and put in the old memory to restart it). All the memory has been 168 Pin PC 100. Am I doing something wrong or am I continually getting the wrong memory? Any advice---PLEASE!!!!

darcy,

welcome to the forums.

I think it unlikely that you got 2 bad modules from Crucial, but anything's possible. A little more information about your G4 would help though.

Which OS are you using?

Do you have the Apple Hardware Test CD which would have been with the original install CD's, and do you have an OS 9 install CD?

If you have an OS 9 install CD, and can boot from it with the new RAM installed, then you could use Dimm First Aid to discover exactly what that RAM is.

biggles.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Lightbulb

PC100 125MHz 8 ns CL2 most SDRAM today is PC100/PC133 [/url] If you used the Crucial Memory Guide you should be fine.

PowerMac G4 350-500 recommended lists more, including 512MB.

Often it is the density on the chips, the SPD programmed in the chips, but the G4 PCI or Yikes - I didn't think they supported 512MB modules.

Thank you both for answering. I am using OS 10.2.3. I do not have an OS 9 disk nor do I have it installed. We went from 8.6 to 10.2.3.
    I noticed that the recommened module for this machine from macgurus is a dirrerent MHz than what I have tried. Would this be the problem?
    And you are right about 512mb not being able to be used in this machine.

Oh, I forgot to mention that when I brought the machine to the Apple store, they "fried" the motherboard and replaced it so this cannot be the problem.

Any other suggestions or thoughts would be very much appreciated. thanks.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by darcy
    Thank you both for answering. I am using OS 10.2.3. I do not have an OS 9 disk nor do I have it installed. We went from 8.6 to 10.2.3.
    I noticed that the recommened module for this machine from macgurus is a dirrerent MHz than what I have tried. Would this be the problem?
    And you are right about 512mb not being able to be used in this machine.

Oh, I forgot to mention that when I brought the machine to the Apple store, they "fried" the motherboard and replaced it so this cannot be the problem.

Any other suggestions or thoughts would be very much appreciated. thanks.
    Acccording to Crucial some 512s should work - but most won't, so check with them as that would let you install 2GB. As long as it isn't the "Yikes!" memory controller you may be okay, but most high-density chips in the past were not supported. Crucial guarantees that if you use their memory selector, you're covered.

Most SDRAM, as I said is now mixed. Any PC133 is backward compatible. Study the specs from Crucial and your Apple html/pdf manaul or better yet, the developer notes.

10.2.3 - still beta, a lot of software and hardware requires 10.2.8. I would upgrade to Tiger when you can and wait for 10.4.2 which will be soon. Much better on any system. Then test memory with memtest. And 'Gurus goes out of its way to solve any problem, while trying to supply the best memory.

Confused

Sorry, Gurus, I just can't buy the story that his mobo was fried at an Apple store, that it was replaced by them, but that they couldn't provide him with a solution as to the RAM... Indeed, sometime back I also bought a 256MB PC133 stick (PNY) that turned out not to be backwards compatible with PC100... But that's the exception rather than the rule.

It sems that somewhere along the line we got caught up in 100 vs 133 (I have never had 133) and the issue of 512mb. I have tried 256 mb. And yes the "story" of the mobo is true and yes, they had no answer for the memory problem except to say that they thought it was the memory itself. At this point I do not believe it is the memory modules from either Kingston or Crucial. It seems to be more within the computer. I also had this problem when the OS was 8.6. Is there anything within the computer that might cause the problem?

If you have the memory, it should have part number and other identifying information on it. Then look it up and see what the specs are.

So far, I don't know what RAM other than it has Crucial label. And crucial sells both PC100 and PC133 for that system. I used PC100 then switched to PC133 (both from Crucial) for my Blue G3 system. Never a problem.

10 ns 100 MHz won't work, it has to be 125MHz/8 ns if PC100. As well as how many chips per side and density.

TZ, thank you -- I think that has been the problem. What I have is PC 100. 100 mhz. here's what the label says: 256mb 168- pin dimm 32mx64 sdram unbuff

pc 100 low profile

sounds like I should order from macgurus!

Quote Originally Posted by TZ
    ...but the G4 PCI or Yikes - I didn't think they supported 512MB modules...
    TZ, Last year my friend put a PC133 512MB into his G4 PCI Yikes. Purchased from Guru's and has no problems with it. He was running OS 9.1 at that time and now up to 10.3.5/6+ now.

But then there are variations of the YIKES machine too. - Randy

OK, TZ--I am starting to admit defeat!! I got the new memory from MacGurus and this didn't work either. It doesn't seem likely that I continue to get the wrong memory. I have a PCI graphics (version 2.6). With this memory I got "System failure: cpu=) code 00000001 (corrupt stack). OR it would go through some loading and then crash OR it would tell me to restart the computer OR it would show the initial Apple screen with horizontal white lines through the Apple and various crashes at different times. HELP!!! Any suggestions? Thanks.

I helped another friend add 2 more 512-MB's from Guru's in a 867 QS they did not show up at first. We ran "dimm first aid" and it "needs run from OS 9.x" it read them but we were prompted to choose the "fix it" option and did so then.... Tried them in my QS 733 without problems and back into his computer and they were fine.

But you need to boot into OS 9.x? I don't know. It SHOULD work fine .

Lightbulb

100MHz is not the same as PC100.
    PC100 can be 10 nanosecond 100MHz, or 8 nanosecond 125 MHz.

We got 'caught up' in the 512MB business because most people prefer to use 512MB SDRAM if they can.

When you put SDRAM in, it clicks into place, you make sure the tabs are firmly down, and you are using the lowest RAM slot (J19).

If it doesn't work, get an RMA and return it.

It could be a shot in the dark, or a logicboard failure, or just the memory controller, which in the Yikes! was the same "Grackle" controller as used in B&W.

When buying / using Crucial, I assume it was from www.crucial.com from the memory selector, not just 'any' crucial pc100.

Considering the age and horsepower of the G4 PCI graphics, it really can only take RAM and maybe disk drives, even Radeon 9200 - but not a lot. You'd have to pay someone to really look at it (out of warranty etc so I am not sure Apple would have done much).