Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Watercooled!

Tongue Watercooled!

Here's an updated link to my watercooled MDD homepage to anyone that may be interested:

http://homepage.mac.com/steve.smedley/Menu7.html

There is still some more experimentation to do at Dual 1.67.

Thumbs up Really nice loooking mods!

Very clean. I'm inspired.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thumbs up We Need More!

YA, dat's a GOOOOD one!
    I wish we had a thread with nothing but "cooling tips with pictures"
    Place where All cooling tips are located.
    Excellent site- hazkell

Quote Originally Posted by Hazkell
    YA, dat's a GOOOOD one!
    I wish we had a thread with nothing but "cooling tips with pictures"
    Place where All cooling tips are located.
    Excellent site- hazkell
    Take a look here, not only cooling also case mods :

http://www.macgurus.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21

@Designer,

nice work!

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Thumbs up Yeah!

Very clean install.

Nice pics too.

Nice!

I've got a dual Giga in my DA I'd be interested in doing just this mod to to quiet things down. Any chance you could elaborate a little on the custom contact plate you made for the Giga? Paging through your pictures, it wasn't clear to me exactly how it mated up on either side. Lot more detail on your work for the Apple CPU module.

Leighgion,

One of the metal plates that comes with the Cooler Master Aquagate Mini can be used, however the copper shim (the same one that is used on the Apple processor still needs to be made.

You should have four holes through the Giga Daughter card & these are the ones used to mount the assembly.

Good Luck.

Also upto date link is here:

http://aqua-mac.com/

Designer,

It's the shim that I'm wondering about. You say that it needs to be 8mm thick, but really don't elaborate more than that. I'm wondering what the other measurements are and how you ended up arriving at 8mm as the needed figure? Was it based on the length of screws involved? It seems there'd be some flexibility in thickness. Also, your pictures show the shim has its corners clipped. Was that to allow mounting screws to get past it? I've got a lot of little questions like this about it.

If I had a firmer idea about the shim, I'd be confident in moving ahead once I had enough funds.

Hi Leighton,

The thickness of the shim is governed by the plate that is supplied with the Aquagate mini. This has small legs on it & 8mm just happens to be the right thickness to make the whole thing work. The corners that are cut away allow for the shim to be easily aligned with the dual processors and also there is no point having excess copper in the way of other components. Getting the alignment of the shim exactly right so that it sits square on top of the processors is aided by being able to add some thin washers under the posts of the plate supplied with the Aquagate.

I have a couple of spare copper shims left if you are interested, email me from the Aquamac Homepage.

Steve.

Bit of an update on my MDD. It now has dual radiators & fans for the watercooling:

And also I designed an Apple Fan gaurd out of 3mm Stainless Steel & fitted a 80 mm fan at the top & relocated the internal speaker.

This FW800 is now running a Giga designs Dual 1.42 running at DUAL 1.59!
    It also has on board a 7800GS graphics card flashed to a mac 7800 GT fully functional with working DVI.

Designer.

Default My hat is off to you Designer...

You are talented (which is the understatement of the day!!!)..

Followed your site and your comments at Strangedogs, and you really do know the MDD PowerMacs.

Thank you for the post and being part of our group.

Robert
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

Default Sa-weet!

The new site is lookin' good too.

Makes me wanna bust out with the power tools, and the soldering iron.

Cool Super

That really looks sweet. Very professional. Simply, - Randy

Default Thanks

Thanks for the compliments guys, makes it all worthwhile when they come from respected mods as yourselves!

Hi Designer,

NICE,

I am about to buy a GF6800 but I don't have a PC to do the flashin'.
    Do ya know if this will work on a Mac too?
    What card should I buy?

Thanks in advance!

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Truely beautiful. k

Default 6800GT flash

Nicolas,

As far as I am aware, you must flash the nvidia 6800 in a PC the first time you flash it. After that you can flash in a mac using Graphiccellerator if you want to experiment with speeds.
    As for which is the best card, the simplest will be something like this GeForce 6800GT:

http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/...1&productId=91

1 of the cards here has Dual DVI out which is a nice feature (if you can find them).

OR

http://msicomputer.co.uk/Products.as...3573&cat_id=78

I must warn you that with the 6800GT flashed card, it works well in the G5, QS & DA but can cause problems in the MDD.

The card shown on my site was actually an MSI 6800 Ultra that I modded the resistor configuration on the back to fool the card into thinking it was a 6800GT so I could use the dual DVI strangedogs rom. I then took the speeds back to Ultra speeds with Graphiccellerator.

If you need to know any other details, feel free to ask,
    Regards,
    Steve.

PS, I was asuming you wanted AGP, if you want PCI-E for your Quad then post back!

Default quad

I am not he but Iam enterested in getting a better card then the 6600 le. Apple makes some bonehead moves at times and their decision to not even sell upgrade cards on their top of the line machines is a clasic. I was told that I would have to wait three monthes for a 7800 but I could upgrade later(I thought the rep meant upgrade the video card:silly me.

Default New card for Quad

If you wan't a card for a G5 Quad, I suggest you look at strangedogs.com
    Rubytuesday has managed to convert the PC version of the 7800 GTX 512. It runs faster than Apple OEM Quadro and at the moment is the only option for a high end card in the PCI-E G5's. Unfortunately the supplies of these cards are dwindling fast as the 7900 & now 7950 take over.

Designer - nice watercooling job. Its something I always wanted to do but never got around to. Instead I bought a G5 and sold the MDD but had great fun with it.

Also - thanks for the link to my site. I am the person behind www.bitsandpieces.info