Thread: B&W G3 CPU in a Beige G3 MT

Default B&W G3 CPU in a Beige G3 MT

Anyone tried putting a Stock standard Apple blue & white CPU into a Beige G3? I got one cheap and was wondering if it actually works?

Would higher bus ratios be possible? like a 83MHz bus?

I have the current 300MHz CPU set to 333 no problems and was hoping to clock the 350 from the Blue & white to 375 with a higher bus.

Yes, switched a 350MHz card from a B&W to a Beige, due to different bus speeds I had it running at 366MHz in the Beige with no problem for years.
    Also at 375MHz, 83MHz bus.

Yes, Higer bus speed is possible, take a look here for tips:
    http://www.macgurus.com/guides/FrontsideBus.php

And here for jumper settings:
    http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/%7Et-imai/g3ae1.html

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Thanks for the info. funny only the beige seemed to be the only one in that table that had more variant's in bus to CPU ratio out of all of them.

Lower the PCI ratio to 30mhz would that cause problems for the occupied cards?

Was it stable at 375? Did you add any fans? I have been looking at the Sunon fan Sold here Macguru's But it is to thick to sit between the heatsink and Chasis of a beige G3.

I have been looking at cheap PC Cpu fans on an Auction site here in NZ but they all seem to state a life rate of so many Hours before it expires my concern being if it expires while cooling the Overclocked CPU would it be possible it would fry or would it just freeze?

Hi,

the B&W has only one other bus speed wich don't over/underclock the PCI slots and this setting is slower than the 100MHz setting.

116.3........38.8 A friend got his UL2D toasted by this setting!!! That could kill some PCI cards!!!
    120.0........30.0 That setting would give you 4 to 6% not worth toasting the MPC bridge.

Yes, the Beige was running stable.It was man MT not a DT, the MT has a bit more room on top of the heatsink so a 50x50x10mm fan fit in perfectly after removing the metall clip.

10 to 15% higher speeds should be no problem for a CPU (but not all CPU's are the same, some can do more some don't)

!!!Always be sure of your settings a wrong setting could kill at least your CPU if not the MB.!!!

Also only use the 83MHz bus setting if you have at least PC100 (PC133 is even better) installed. The standard RAM, Apple was using, is PC66 only!

Check the installed RAM before, and remove PC66 RAM first.

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

finally accomplished a G3 b&W chip in a beige G3 at speeds i didn't think possible. Ran a series of test's using nortons and was able to run A 350 chip at 450mhz!!!!! with an 83mhz bus!!

I have it currently running reliably at 433mhz with a 66mhz bus and a 217mhz backside cache. Both the 450 & 433 settings came out with the same system rating scores of "1110" but the 450 took a hit in video and disk so 433 came top in each score.

Very supprised i even tried a 400mhz B&W chip and it was not stable at 433 or 450 so must be something to do with the architecture.

My biege has been runing smooth for the last week no problems. So all those people wanting to put a bit more "grunt" into your old beige for next to nothing, heres the proof.