Thread: Is this possible....?

Default Is this possible....?

With the MacTels coming out next year I'ved decided to skip upgrading to a G5 altogether and wait a few years until all the kinks are worked out of the new machines when they eventually come out.

So I'd like to squeeze a bit more speed out of my MDD DP 1.42 (an 867 DP machine bumped up with Diga's upgrade).

I have the slower bus (133?). I know I can switch my Digadesign processor over to a 166 bus so I'm curious.

what would be involved in upgrading my buss speed? Is it just a matter of dropping in a new mother board or is it more involved than that.

I know I should just be happy with what I have and stop trying to trick out my precious MDD but I can't help it. (Maybe I'm secretly hoping I'll muck things up and have an excuse to buy a G5).

I guess a better question is -- is the speed boost all that significant between the two bus speeds?

You'll need to desolder a resistor on the Logicboard but I would not do that.

http://www.macbidouille.com/article.php?id=89&page=3

The Bus speed is controlled by this resitor on the LB AND the setting of the CPU board. If you change only one you'll stay at 133MHz.

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Default Jollybgood

I'm currently evaluating a simple watercooled upgrade for the Giga Designs Dual 1.42. I have to say this will seriously void your warranty!

However, I have only 1 month of warranty to go so like you I can't help messing around with my MDD.

I'm currently shaking down this idea still at 1.42 looking for any problems, but none so far. At this speed the temp of the copper base is hardly warm, around 33 deg. This in theory should allow for some reasonable overclocking.

This link shows you basically what's involved:

http://homepage.mac.com/steve.smedley/Menu7.html

But this is not yet complete and I have made a number of changes, so will be upgrading the pictures in due course.

I had to have a copper heat spreader plate machined to mate up with the waterblock and have changed various fans around, the upgrade now runs with a slim Zalman fan in front and behind the radiator, new pictures to follow.

I am thinking of offering this as a kit complete but haven't worked out any costs yet. It would also depend on the level of interest and making the kit adaptable to a Std Apple Dual & Single processor.This is also something i am working on.

I'm quite a perfectionist so wan't to make sure there are no reliability problems with this idea - Let me know what you think.

Steve.

Pretty cool setup.

I think I'd mount the radiator on the back of the case so the PSU fan blows through it. That would get more heat out of the case, and get double duty out of the PSU fan.

Very cool.(no pun) Nice workmanship as well. "total modification for maximum performance" I love it. B4 you sink too much into the project for production I would wait and see when the new 7448's hit the market (soon I think) and cooling may not be as big an issue in new upgrades. But since they start out cooler that means we can push them further so, maybe we will need a radiator for 3.0g g4's!!

glock
    "Don't worry about it son, it's nothin' we can't fix with a cuttin' torch and a come-along....." Dad

Thumbs up Yeah, Baby

Just what I need!

Have a G4 thats going to be running warm to hot when fully tricked out.
    Also would like to know, do you think something simuliar to this "cooler " could be fabracated for a PM 9600?
    It's packed full.
    Going to have to hack the case or something "as in the water Cool ".

GOOD LUCK - sign me up!

I'll be following!
    hazkell

Smile Watercooling CONTINUED

M Brane, Glock, Hazkell,

Thanks for the comments, I will nip into work later & get my digital camera, to update the photographs.

I've been running the MDD at Dual 1.5 now for 2 days (this was not possible with aircooling) & no problems.

I switched the jumpers to Dual 1.67 (10x) but I think I need to increase the voltage, as the machine made long beeping noises & no boot. Giga only show jumper settings up to 1500Mhz (9x) so its also possible that the jumper settings I set were not right.I set them for the 10x shown for the 133 bus speed. If anyone knows the various voltage settings for the MDD Giga, this would be most helpfull. Jason at Giga IF YOU READ THIS I won't hold you responsible for any help you give me!

I know its not a heat problem as even at 1.5Gig the processor is running cool & doesn't miss a beat!

Regards,

Steve.

THanks for the advice. I guess I'll live with what I have for now. ;D

BTW I've been running my giga 1.42 dual upgrade for about a year now. No heat problems. I have two video cards, two optical drives and four hds installed. I took some flexible duct like you use on a dryer and made a box for the back of the box and put an inline fan in the ductwork to draw away the hot air. (the heat coming from under my desk was enough to make my legs sweat).

That seemd to do a good job. My theory is the box was pulling hot air back into the vents from the front. Venting away the hot air brought my temps down.

I just ran the tubing up to a vent where my central air draws in air to disipate it.