Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: MDD upgrades in the pipeline? / After 1 1/2 month... (MDD+Gigadesigns)

I already tried a fresh new OS on another disk, and there was no change. Only once, I installed Panther, and iDVD did complete its encoding process, it freezes at burning though (not the whole system, only iDVD, I was able to force quit). After that I tried Tiger (new install) and this time I had the 'usual' complete freeze during the encoding, which eliminated the pref/plist/whatever corruption I guess....

...a little update... I've tried with different ram, no change, KP after a few minutes.... I'm sending it back to Giga tomorrow.....

hmmmm... I've just noticed the MDD dual 1.33 isn't available anymore.... What's going on here ? Maybe a 'second generation' is coming ? or are these cards simply not reliable enough ?..... I hope they find a way to solve this...

Default Two kickin' here after almost a year...

Well I've been using the 1.42 upgrade for about a year now. My computer literally runs 24/7. (I have a home office and when I'm not using the computer someone else is).

Magazine publishing with constant deadlines means I use a lot of graphic design software and so forth.

I'm happy to report the upgrade is purring along. Except for some issues the first few weeks of my upgrade (which Jason helped resolve) I've had zero problems.

Running the latest Tiger upgrade btw.

Sorry to hear they pulled this particular upgrade but they know what they're doing.

My upgrade has already paid for itself so I'm a happy camper.

Great News! Thanks for the update. You are very kind to share the information with us.

My take on the MDD pull is:

It wasn't so much that the upgrades that were produced had a problem but that there were at least 6 variations of MDD motherboards. It was russian roulette as to whether a given MDD would accept the upgrade or not. That caused the high incidence as far as I know.

I am an outsider in this, not privy whatsoever to discussions inside Giga. So the above is my take on things from talking with tech support and being tech support for a whole lot of upgrades. The above opinion is my own! I say that so that you realize this is not coming from Giga but me, one of the owners of MacGurus. No misunderstandings here.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks
    My take on the MDD pull is:

It wasn't so much that the upgrades that were produced had a problem but that there were at least 6 variations of MDD motherboards. It was russian roulette as to whether a given MDD would accept the upgrade or not. That caused the high incidence as far as I know.

Rick
    I just got my replacement card this morning... Hopefully everything will be fine this time.... btw, the MDD upgrades are still alive, the second generation is coming...... I'll keep you informed about my new card...

Cheers!

Exclamation RE: Giga MDD upgrade

Folks:

Direct from the Giga designs web site:

We currently do not offer processor upgrades for the Mirror Drive Door G4. While our first generation of upgrades is no longer in production and is out of stock, we are exploring follow-on products.

We will continue to value the needs of Mirror Drive Door system users and will strive to offer the fastest, highest quality upgrades available.

Please feel free to contact us at anytime for a status update.

So I'm guessing no more MDD upgrades at all? OR do you think there is a chance for a second generation product?

Marc

Confused Upgrading a MDD now with no Giga products?

Folks:

I was waffling on getting a 1.3 GHz upgrade for my stock dual 1.0 GHz MDD until just a couple of days ago. I noticed that MacGurus pulled all Giga MDD upgrades, then when checking at Giga's web site found out they no longer make MDD upgrades . . .

So, is it worthwhile to try to track down a used upgrade on fleaBay? I might be able to acquire a 1.4 GHz Apple dual module from a friend but I'd have to pay whatever Apple decides its worth. I like my MDD, had it for over 3 years (AppleCare just ran out last month) and would really like to keep the ability to boot into OS 9, but maybe its time to pull the plug. I was hoping to wait until next year (I won't see my bonus until the end of March).

Marc

Default The word on the street is...

several upgrade companies are working on the 7448 series from Freescale...
    whether or not they will ever ship is a matter of debate... most likely will, and will be worthwhile upgrades.

a certain shop still has several of the MDD upgrades left (4 as of yesterday), but I am holding off for the '48's here. I would encourage you to hold off.

try www.smalldog.com (not endorsing of course!).
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

They are hard at sticking 7447 and 7448 processors in a MDD. It is going to take some development work because Apple made at least 6 distinct version of the MDD motherboard. It was always a guess whether a given MDD would work with a given upgrade. Until an accounting is made for all the variations upgrades will be a tough thing to make bullet proof. Unless it is bullet proof I for one wouldn't want to carry them

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Wink Thank you sir for the tip!

I've heard some buzz about possible future upgrades but I wonder, if the development is so tricky, and the market relatively small, if they will ever see the light of day. Under $500 isn't bad, price wise, but when you add in a new video card (at least $200 for something that will work with Core Image) we are starting to see a G5 . . . The old dilemma, of course.

Thanks again for the tip though!

Marc

Rolleyes MDD upgrades in the pipeline?

I read some reports from Dual 1.8GHz Upgrade owners (QS, DA's) and the speed gain if fantastic. I have an MDD and it is running great, I don't want an G5 cuz I need to run OS9 sometimes. So a Dual 1.8 or 2.0GHz upgrade would be nice by the end of the year.

Maybe someone has some info if there are new upgrades for the MDD in the pipeline?

Or how long does it take till we can buy them?

Thanks

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Rick will be along, but the short version of the current rumor is that there are some 7448s under devolpment. May or not be fruitfull, but it sure seems like there are enough MDDs out there to be a good market for a couple years.

Ironic that the best version of the case that started way back with the BW is proving to be the hardest to get maxed out with upgrades.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Yes it is curious.

Would be great to see a dual 2GHz upgrade for the MDD.

The point is, now I love my MDD (after the modding ).

I want to use it one or two years till those MacIntels are available; if they are worthy; then, I would use it as a backup system.

Thanks for your reply

Thanks for merging the threads, sorry for posting a new thread.

Regards

Nicolas
    Last edited by Nicolas; 10-07-2005 at 08:53 AM.
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Default After 1 1/2 month... (MDD+Gigadesigns)

For those who remember (the threads are still here somewhere below (Thread merged )) I got my replacement card in mid-september (giga Dual 1.33/MDD 2003 1.25). So....... guess what ? Not a single KP since then !

One thing I noticed though with the new one: there was this little extension 'gigameter' included in the package, which was not the case with my first upgrade card (it only came with Drive10). Of course I installed it, Gigameter is needed for running certain apps, so they can properly recognize the cpu card. Could it be just that ? Jason from Giga told me they couldn't find what was wrong with the first one, though he sent me a new one anyway ; my mac is now running perfectly fine. ...It's noisier (I have NOT connected the 120mm fan to the Giga card), but it's rock-solid, cooler (no more than 41 C for the internal ata-100 durin heavy tasks, such as video encoding) and fast !... I'm so happy now, it's not a G5, but the speed bump is more than noticeable !

(no extra cooling....... yet ? )
    Last edited by Nicolas; 10-26-2005 at 07:24 PM.

Morpheo,

I thought that gigameter extension was for the app System Profiler only so that it would properly yield correct info for you to see. I never had gigameter included with my MDD GigaBump so I cannot say for sure and, since I am on my G5 now, of course cannot recall if System Profiler does tell me the correct info without the extension. k

Quote Originally Posted by kaye
    Morpheo,

I thought that gigameter extension was for the app System Profiler only so that it would properly yield correct info for you to see. I never had gigameter included with my MDD GigaBump so I cannot say for sure and, since I am on my G5 now, of course cannot recall if System Profiler does tell me the correct info without the extension. k
    Yes ASP did give me the correct info even without the extension. I googled for gigameter before installing my new card, and I'm 200% sure I read somewhere that some adobe apps needed it (was it for certain specific configurations, specific mac models ? I can't recall...) So before installing the new cpu card, and after all the trouble I had with the previous one, I thought it might be useful to install it, eventhough it didn't come with any precise info, other than the "needed for certain apps" sticker on the CD...

Default Interesting....

Thanks for the heads up.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks for the info and I stand corrected again. k