Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MDD upgrades in the pipeline? / After 1 1/2 month... (MDD+Gigadesigns)

Rolleyes MDD upgrades in the pipeline? / After 1 1/2 month... (MDD+Gigadesigns)

Apparently the dual 1.42 is gone, they're only listing the dual 1.33. Why ? I'm just curious...

Too high a level of support. Giga is pretty meticulous and when they have a high incidence of support calls they back off the speed or drop the product. This is a good thing since we won't carry a product that gives high support rates, they made a good choice to pull that speed.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default GigaMDD dual 1.33 follow-up

Well....... So far so good.... I have reinstalled the original ATI 9000 yesterday, and no KP since then ! Keeping my fingers crossed... The last time I tried the Giga card, with the ati9600, I had kp when playing a trailer in QT player. The 120mm fan is connected to the mobo, and apparently it's doing quite a fine job, here's what Temperature Monitor tells me:

Seagate 80 GB (ata-66): 36 C
    maxor 250 GB (ata-100): 40 C

...better than the 44/47 C (or even 50) I had with the 120mm running at a constant rate....

Now I still have to try the things that were crashing constantly, burning a disc with iDVD to start with....

It's probably too early to say everything's solved, but if that's the case, that means Giga MDD upgrades may have major issues with the ATI 9600, and it would also mean the so-called internal fan control provided by Giga is completely worthless, worse, it's dangerous. At least in my case.

...Meanwhile... Not a sign from giga support, thanks for not responding guys, it's been 6 days now..... oh well.... At least I got help from some great people here at macgurus... Thanks a lot TZ and the others...

Again keeping my fingers crossed....

Very glad to hear that so far it is working. In my case, because I have so much packed into my MDD, not the least of which is a known heat generator the ATI 9800 Pro ME, I immediately decided not to connect the 120mm internal fan to the Giga upgrade. Never tried it. Much happier with the better cooling tho I had no idea how much better until you tested that. Your experience tells me I dodged another bullet. So many ways to unwittingly go wrong. Keep us informed and thanks for the info. k

Lightbulb

Glad you've made headway on the problems. One of our older members (MDD 867DP w/ GD 1.42DP upgrade) says he has to leave his case open 6" even! For me, I have an extra fan pushing air out the top area. I now have four drives, two are 15K/10K SCSI and two ATA drives in ATA-6 bay (in front of cpu). I've thought of getting an Apple copper heatsink just for fun.

I'm glad swapping out the 9600 helped. It just seemed it would be worth trying. I think that may need to get added to some FAQ or something, somewhere.

Do keep us posted, we love to know the final results. And no need to start a new thread. No harm, but leaves the old thread "in limbo" and lacks "final act" or final chapters in your saga.

One thing I can say, we will baby-sit if need be - or even do some arm-twisting at times

Quote Originally Posted by TZ
    One thing I can say, we will baby-sit if need be - or even do some arm-twisting at times

hehehe... One thing I just noticed, when waking from deep sleep, the ata-66 bay is hotter. After a while, it's the ata-100 that gets warmer. I'm sure it's due to the way the air got stuck in the 'cpu zone', once the cpu gets warm.

...I think I'll get a PCI fan, just to ensure good airflow near the ata-100 and cpu. I don't know if I should just keep one optical drive (the superdrive for instance, is it even possible to install the combo in an external box ? probably...) and/or moving the 80 GB (ata-66) to an external enclosure, maybe I don't have to, though I'd like to have the coolest possible environment in there...

Lightbulb

As I and others have found, adding some type of additional fan cooling seems to fate and somewhat necessary.

I found a small-ish fan that I taped to the front top of the PSU area, which blows towards the rear and moves heat that gets trapped up there, across the two PCI cards (UL3Ds). If I didn't have those there, I'd just leave one or both PCI slots open, or add PCI slot cooler. And yes, that should help.

One of the problems with the ATA/66 bay is it is "passively" getting air from the front side, pulled in by the 120mm fan (there's that again), and when you take the ATA/66 cage out, be sure to clean out any dust that may have built up in there, which can help efficiency.

Putting fan(s) on the back to suck air out also seems to be very efficient way to cool things and doesn't require a lot of work.

You've found one of the reasons why some avoid sleeping a system. Apple recommends giving MDD case 10 minutes to cool before opening to work inside.

Default Problems are back...

hmmm.... It was too good to be true.... Unfortunately, kernel panics are back with iDVD, Limewire, Safari, QT Player, among others.

I just sent a new note to Giga. Why did they not answer my first message ?... I need this card replaced, and/or I'll need my money back.

okay... now that I calmed down a little, I'm sure I read somewhere about a user who 'inverted' his cpu fan, so that it was blowing air to the heatsink. it was either for a quicksilver or a MDD, I can't remember. Somehow, I'm under the impression this is still related to heat: I monitored my single 1.25 when encoding video in iDVD, and it went up until 56 C, while the HD was at 46 C (the 120mm wasn't running full speed though, and I had no crash). So I think it would make sense that with 2 CPUs, it's getting VERY hot, too hot, even if my HD temps looks fine.

Of course that seems strange since it probably works fine for others with similar configurations, but I guess I still have overheating problems...

hmmmmmmmmm.......

Default Upgrades for the MDD?

Curious if anyone else has been speculating about a Pentium upgrade for the MDD? I was reading about the Giga troubles in the 1.42 with the heat and thinking that my 1 Ghz single proc MDD is "OK", it will be ready for an upgrade if it is possible to do one with a new Pentium chip design. As in, I will fork out for the upgrade but it has to be something really good.

I can't see spending for the upgrade now with 1 Ghz to 1.3 Ghz and from 1 to 2 processors. My PowerBook is 1.3 Ghz and sometimes it seems slower or certainly not much faster than my 1 Ghz MDD. Of course I hope that the extra processor will magically speed things up, but I really don't know.

From what I am reading on-line the Pentium family of chips is farther down the line it it's design cycles and in general, Pentium chips tend to run faster and with less power, read, less HEAT.

I am exploring film making and CADD drafting. And who's kidding who, I just like my Mac to be FAST anyway. ;-)

Does anyone have an educated guess about whether it would be possible or perhaps I should say, feasible, to ever expect a Pentium chip upgrade for a MDD Mac?

Reading about folks who have already started putting OS X on new Pentium boards. Not legally of course but, it sure seems interesting to me that it is something that can be done. Makes me salivate a bit from the old days of hacking my old 9600 to overclock it with upgrades. Best of all worlds might be to put a new Pentium board in the beautiful MDD case and put in Tiger on top of it. With the cost of PC boards and Mac upgrades, it shouldn't cost more than a MDD DP Moto Upgrade. Course I am just offering an opinion/fantasy here. Not suggesting that I would actually do it. Just dreaming/fantasizing/wondering out loud

lb

Unhappy I think this will never happen

Hello LB,

the Pentiums are way different to PPC chips (big vs little endian is not the only problem), power requirements and an other Bus-system.

There is more chance to get a G5 in an MDD some day than a Pentium but, even a G5 upgrade would need huge development.

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Lightbulb

Your 1.25 uses aluminum, the GD uses cooper. two different animals, but when you hit 56C your fan should kick in, at least medium speed if not full wind-tunnel.

sometimes it takes a 'kick' in nvram or a clean install if it isn't behaving and kicking in when it should.

If you boot into OS 9, the fan should be running on full/fast because there is no thermal software control at all, only in OS X.

Lightbulb

Pentium? no. 2GHz from Freescale at some point? yes.

you could also sell the MDD and get G5. Upgrade vs New has a link to "blue book value" calculator based on current ebay sales.

If you have 167MHz bus, 2GB RAM, a dual 1.33 should give the kind of work you do some performance - and $499 isn't that bad.

You will notice 133 MHz. And you will notice having a dual in most applications as well as from the system.

Pentium is headed for 'watts per GHz" but they have been power hungry and hot. Dual core hopes to allow running more efficiently - lower wattage and MHz - unless it needs to kick in.

The difference even between MDD 1.42DP and G5 2.7DP is a "night and day." I would get the G5 2.3DP PCI-X so you can work more efficiently. I consider 1GHz with 1GB RAM to be "minimum" for OS X today for even light normal use. No heavy lifting.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by TZ
    Pentium? no. 2GHz from Freescale at some point? yes.

... The difference even between MDD 1.42DP and G5 2.7DP is a "night and day." I would get the G5 2.3DP PCI-X so you can work more efficiently. I consider 1GHz with 1GB RAM to be "minimum" for OS X today for even light normal use. No heavy lifting.
    What is Freescale? And, forgive the bluntness of this question as I have been a long time fan of this site dating back to upgrading my old 7300, 7600 and 9600 machines but, is there a future in G5 at this point?

I sorta saw the writing on the wall as Apple is going Pentium and that is how the future shapes up, period.

I guess $499 isn't so bad to get my machine going at DP speeds, assuming that will make a difference. Just from the renderings I was starting to do in iMovie (will likely be getting Final Cut, express or pro and the Cadd stuff) I thought having the extra processor wouldn't have sped things up anyway.

ADDED:
    OK, Frescale is the MOTO design used to push to 2 Gigs. However, reading another thread here, it appears the 1.4 was pulled by Giga due to heat restrictions in the case. So an overclocked 1.6 to 2 Ghz chip would almost certainly not be ready for MDD primetime. I also am puzzled as to why I see all kinds of fast (2 Ghz) upgrades for older Macs but I see very little for the MDD models.

Bummed too.

G5s still have life in them for perhaps a couple years, and there may be one more big bump to G5s before we see any X86 Macs.
    Here is an decent summary of why folks are hoping to see the 7448 show up soon.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I guess $499 isn't so bad to get my machine going at DP speeds, assuming that will make a difference.
    I noticed more of a "it's got a ton of power" a low gear. Yes it is faster but the amount of work you can do simultaneously at the same speed is what surprised me. It just never quits. I had a DP 1.33 Giga running 5 x the application/windows open and cruzing on my computer with a lot of extra apps. in the background .... my stock 733MHz could not do it at full speed. I don't use many "power hungry/using" apps either. In testing I saw a good improvement. Because of my "casual use mostly" I could probably do fine with a single 1.3/1.4 but the extra HP is nice. You are using applications that will use it.

I rarely open photoshop but it opens 5 x times faster with the Dual than the 733MHz did. The 733 was slow.

barefeats.com should have some CPU comparisons or close anyway.

Good luck, post back
    Randy

Hey LB,

Good to see ya around. Just for some background, the MDD is a finicky beast and a tough nut to crack with upgrades. Apple made at least 6 different motherboards and the darn things are a bear to get upgrades to run right on. That is even without throwing in the heat issues which seem to crop up now and then no matter how much it gets talked about and worked through.

I suspect we'll see the Freescale 7447 come to the MDD. That will resolve some of the issues. The 7448 is probably an even better fit and my guess is that some upgrade developers will wait on it instead. When, anyone's guess. I have no clue.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

After trying what TZ sez, I think it is time to get a replacement from Giga. I don't think it is a temp problem. More likely to me is that the duals are not behaving properly. You certainly have gone beyond the normal troubleshooting and time to get Giga Tech involved. k

Quote Originally Posted by kaye
    After trying what TZ sez, I think it is time to get a replacement from Giga. I don't think it is a temp problem. More likely to me is that the duals are not behaving properly. You certainly have gone beyond the normal troubleshooting and time to get Giga Tech involved. k

Yeah if only I could get an answer from them !....

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheo
    Yeah if only I could get an answer from them !....
    Have you called them and/or written them any letters? If you have only e-mailed them, I suggest phone calls and letters. Keep buggin them until you get some results. You deserve your money back or a replacement card. It seems to me that you have had your mac out of commission for long enough, its time for some results.

Did you buy from Gigadesigns directly?