Thread: Staying out of 9, how?

Default Staying out of 9, how?

I left my old beige mac with my 81 year old mom. She loves the Mac and her emails, but she can't seem to learn two things at the same time. I frankly want to keep her old beige machine from booting into 9 on startup anymore.

I don't live near her anymore so I have to relay instructions to the occasional brother or other windows user who happens by her place. I would love to get her a new Mac and forget the old dual boot machine all togehter. But for now, is there any trick I could use to keep her machine from reverting to 9?

Thanks if you know.

lb

Without having access to the machine no.

Removing 9 from the machine would do the trick though. Maybe you could get someone there to trash the OS9 system folder.

Doing that would kill her classic apps. Still using my old Photoshop and Word 98. Guess I can't have it both ways. ANyone know if I can?

lb

Maybe try using the Timbuktu Trial . It's a 30-day trial. If the remote Mac is connected to the internet and you can determine it's IP address (by 'phone perhaps) then you could push-install TB2 to the remote Mac and do all kinds of damage! You would be able to set the startup volume, but make sure that TB2 is installed on that startup volume too if you want to be able to control it. In that case you might have to do the IP address via 'phone again. I believe that the IP Locator function of TB2 doesn't work with the trial version.

I know that the paid-for version is kind of pricey, but I finally bit the bullet and bought it to maintain my Mum's eMac. She lives in Canada, and I'm in England.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Interesting idea. Never thought of that. Will look at it more. Thanks.

lb

You're welcome. If you want to try this there are a couple of heads-up things you should be aware of, so let me know if you're going to try it and I'll share as much as I know.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Default 81 year old mom is using PhotoShop!?

Cool!
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Not sure what version of OSX you're using or if it works on older macs when you use Disk Utility to erase/format a harddrive there's an option/radio button in regards to making he HD bootable in OS9.

Been awhile since I've done it but last time I reformatted the drive on my powerbook I opted to turn off the option and now my PB won't boot in oS9 even if I want to. But I can launch classic and use my classic apss.

Of course this means reformating your drive and reinstalling all your apps and OSX/Classic but it might do what you're wanting.

Sadly the question is now mute. My mom is fine, but I moved out of the area and my brother, who refuses to work on a Mac, had her by a new PC. So the Beige will be donated to a local who knows who?

Sigh.

lb