Thread: Travis needs help.

Default Travis needs help.

I have bumped into this thread over at Apple Forums and I was wondering if anyone could give Travis a hand to solve his issue.

I know that Jason Wolf has already been in touch with Travis and, thus, should be informed about the situation, but I am wondering if we are missing something out that others may have already gone through and/or spotted.

Thanks for all and any help.

Costa.

P.S.: I am still waitng a response from Micron's tech. support about that DDR SDRAM issue. I hope to have something to post about, soon.

Lightbulb

I think it would be nice to include here what type of system, upgrade, and problem this regards. What issue is that about DDR, Costa?
    I have a GigaDesigns G-Celerator Dual processor upgrade, originally clocked at 1.33GHz, a Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition, 2 internal Hard drives, a Pioneer DVR-109, 768MB of system RAM (three DIMM's, 2x128 + 512) and a 19" LCD monitor.

All of these components are placing a large strain on my power supply. My processor has been clocked down to 1GHz from 1.33GHz because it simply would not run with my Radeon 9800 Pro - the machine would shut off a few minutes into use. I have eliminated my power supply as the cause of this, because the machine still would not run when I disconnected power to one of my HD's, my DVD drive, and took out any other cables that were plugged into the back that I didn't need.

I have also ruled out a thermal issue. I tested this the other night by turning my air conditioner onto full, and placing a fan blowing directly onto the computer while it was open. I set the jumpers on the processor to 1.33GHz. I left the room for 10 minutes and the temperature dropped by 3 degrees C. I turned my computer on, but half way into loading Doom 3, it shut off.

This leaves me to wonder:
    1) How much power from my power supply does the motherboard actually receive and supply to all its components? I have suspected my motherboard of being the fault of this but haven't been able to prove it.

2) Is there a way to increase the power going to the motherboard? (without getting a new PSU... 338W is plentiful) If so, how?

Sorry for such a long post, but I think this is all neccessary information. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Travis

I should also mention that my motherboard was replaced last year because the old one fried (bad RAM stick).

The first thing I would do is run memtest and upgrade to more than 768MB, and make sure the RAM is up to spec. And try without those 128MB modules, I would be very suspicious of those.
    Second, try without the R9800. That card pulls 75W and puts out some mean heat. Although 335W PSU is almost what I have in my MDD.
    Third, try without any other controllers if there are any.

Thank you TZ!

Yup, cut-&-pasting the original thread would have been the correct way of doing it...(or at least mention the minimum system outfit)...

I guess I was too much on a hurry, as time is always too "thin" while working...

The DDR SDRAM issue I am waiting a reply on is the one about Memory Controllers' ability to work simultaneously with diiferent in spec SDRAM modules without timing conflicts, as you, Kay and others have been experiencing since the MDD G4 models onwards. No more FIRST slot SPD EEPROM limitations, etc.... Remember?

Thanks again for your posting.

Cheers.

Costa

Lightbulb

I just wanted to summarize, and save people from hopping over to Apple, as well as see if anyone here had some insights and discussion. We've had a couple interesting experiences with the DA and upgrades going on.

I thought you would get a kick out of is DRAM and SDRAM the same thing?