Thread: Upgrade 9.0.4 to 9.1.1 trouble

Default Upgrade 9.0.4 to 9.1.1 trouble

I have a few G3 iBooks here at work that I have been updating, and yesterday I upgraded from 9.0.4 to 9.1. The system also has a dual boot to 10.1.5 under Startup Disk. After upgrading and updating OS 9, I wanted to boot to OS X. A message popped up with the message along the lines that "Finder and System were not found in the System Folder...computer may not restart, would you like to Continue." I told it no a few times. I verified that it was in the System Folder, and the next time it asked, I hit Continue without thinking about it. Now the machine will not boot up.

Any suggestions. It gets to the loading screen, but before it starts to load all of the Apps at the bottom, it just hangs.

Ian

Default Need a little more info....

Hey, welcome to MacGurus

Let's see... first what other info can you provide about your computer (which iMac?) to help figure things out? or RAM amount, CPU speed, PCI Cards, software used, how many drives? External components?

Are your system 10.x and OS 9.x on different drives or partitions or the same drive?

Will it boot to the install CD?

Thanks, were here post back

Default System Spec

It is a G3 iBook:

I believe it is a 20 GB HD with 2 separate partitions of 10GB a piece
    366 Mhz
    128MB Ram
    8MB Video card.
    It has the Ethernet, Internal 56K Modem, and Airport capabilities.
    It is an old work computer, and we are just doing inventory to see if we can salvage anything, and give it to someone without a computer. So it isn't horrible if we can't fix it immediately, we have a few more.

Someone on another forum suggest booting with the "shift key" held down, to turn the Extensions off, and that didn't help.

I don't know where a OS System Disk is for the 9.0 is, but I do have one for 10.

I think that is about all I know. It did successfully update the firmware after doing the revision upgrade on the OS. So, I dunno.

Thanks for the help though.

Ian

Is there data on the drive you need? If not you should be able to startup from the OS X CD and erase the drive. Be sure to leave the option to "install OS 9 drivers" checked.

Running OS X on 128 MB RAM only ... I don't know - not really recommended here 256 minimum for system. I am a real light user but with the System, internet - several windows, emails, Appleworks, iphoto, iTunes.. I ate up a 1 GB last night. So Don't have any extra apps start up. Hold shift while booting.

You need more RAM to run X successfully on that iBook. It will run with what you have, but it will be dog-slow. It will also stress the hard drive due to all the swap file activity it will generate. For a stock (read: old) drive that will likely mean death.

It should able to run 9 pretty well, but you need a OS9 install disk. Either one for that specific model or a full retail install. Better to have the latter since you can use it on pretty much anything that will boot 9.

The early versions of X (pre-Panther 10.3) are pretty much beta, and should be avoided IMHO. I'd rather use 9 myself than 10.1/10.2.

At this point it looks like an Open Firmware reset, initialize drive, and reinstall of OS9 is probably the best plan to get it up, and running again.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Brane
    You need more RAM to run X successfully on that iBook. It will run with what you have, but it will be dog-slow. It will also stress the hard drive due to all the swap file activity it will generate. For a stock (read: old) drive that will likely mean death.

It should able to run 9 pretty well, but you need a OS9 install disk. Either one for that specific model or a full retail install. Better to have the latter since you can use it on pretty much anything that will boot 9.

The early versions of X (pre-Panther 10.3) are pretty much beta, and should be avoided IMHO. I'd rather use 9 myself than 10.1/10.2.

At this point it looks like an Open Firmware reset, initialize drive, and reinstall of OS9 is probably the best plan to get it up, and running again.
    I won't say that 10.2 is beta like, 10.2.6 10.2.8 are rock solid systems with the lag of some "iApps" support but ya can count on that, reliable.

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Lightbulb

Sometimes 10.2.8 combo update wouldn't even complete.

There are menu items like Preferences for applications that lack command keys.

You can't "queue" installer updates so forced to do more to update.

use to be applications and utilities said "10.2.8 or later" anymore it was "10.3.9 or later" and now applications and utilities are "10.4+" and some 10.4.4.

I love the fact that Apple has offered OS X now on DVD - no more CD shuffle, that they came out with 10.4.3 and now a 10.4.6 DVD as well.

Depends on what applications you want. Security updates covered, and whether there is a minimum for Firefox (which I use a lot). OmniWeb 5.5 will be Tiger only. Nisus Writer Express is 10..3.9 or maybe Tiger only. TechTool Pro 4.5.1 is Tiger app.

I think I am one of those that called Jag to be "shrink-wrap beta" on a number of occassions. YMMV of course as to what you find acceptable, complete, and stable.

Unhappy Dangers of OS X

Jaguar and Panther bug:

Mac OS X 10.2 through 10.3.9: Wrong folder moved to Trash when deleting in Finder in column view Deleting a new, untitled folder without first renaming it (in column view) may inadvertently move the parent folder to the Trash under certain circumstances. This article applies to Mac OS X 10.2 through 10.3.9.

When you create a new folder, the name is immediately editable. If you move that folder to the the Trash via one of two specific methods before entering a name and the Finder window is in column view, then the parent folder will be moved to the Trash. (The parent folder is the one that contains the new folder.) This happens regardless of how you move the folder to the Trash. The two specific methods that result in this issue are:

• Using the Command-Delete key combination in the Finder
    • Choosing Move to Trash from the File menu in the Finder
    Products affected

• Mac OS X 10.2 or later
    Solution

Use one of these solutions:
    1. Click the Finder icon in the Dock.
    2. Choose "Undo move of 'untitled folder'" from the Edit menu. (If you have done other tasks since deleting, this option may not be available.)
    1. Click the Trash icon in the Dock to open it.
    2. Drag the folder you inadvertently moved there to its original location.
    Warning: If you empty the Trash, the folders and their contents will be deleted.

This issue does not occur if you edit names of folders that already exist. It only affects newly created folders.

Apple Tech Note #107313
    Date Created: December 02, 2002
    Date Modified:
    July 27, 2006
    Last edited by TZ; 07-28-2006 at 12:28 PM.