Thread: HELP! Can't Boot from hard drive

Default HELP! Can't Boot from hard drive

I was defragging my hard drive from the TechTool Pro 4 CD and it locked up sometime during the night.. I couldn't get it to unlock so I had to power down.
    Now, the computer won't boot up at all. I get the you must power down error message. you know, the "hold the power button down for several seconds" message.
    The TechTools CD is stuck in the CD Tray and I CAN boot from that and I have run hardware and volume and file tests and all look good.
    What is up? What can I do to get my computer to boot back up?

it is a G4 dual 867 768 RAM. OS 10.4.2
    G4 dual 867 768 RAM
    OS 10.4

Lightbulb

Randy,

MicroMat maintains their own forum on MacFixit. They are very helpful and knowledgeable on their products. You can probably find some similar threads and stories there.

You can eject a CD from single user mode or from Open Firmware. The details are in the Troubleshooting Guide.

I never recommend such long, lengthy processes. Always backup first. If possible, use the existing drive afterwards as "backup" and the new copy as your working drive. A rotating backup set. Safe, effective, and fast. CCC will do the job quite well and quickly.

Running from a CD is not recommended. That is why either boot from another drive that you use for maintenance and emergencies, or use an "eDrive." Use CD only when the other two options aren't available. But if running 10.4.2 (is hardware/software/Mac in your .sig?) you need TTP 4.0.5. Which may not be what you have on your CD.

I would boot from Tiger DVD and check the drive. Then boot from an emergency drive/partition (create one if you don't have one now) and use Disk Warrior (sometimes DW works, sometimes TTP. TTP works in "low free space" where DW doesn't have enough room. Another reason to never ever let a disk drive get below 20% free space).

If you have 2GB or even 1.5GB of RAM TTP4 can do better, but 512MB RAM is minimum for Tiger, and 1.2-1.5GB will run better.

Default Help, I can't boot from the hard drive.

A trick I just learned, is to hold the mouse down while booting, to eject the CD.
    This works for any system G3 or newer. OS 9.1 and up. Good to know sometimes, as I have had to use it once or twice since learning it. Also, you may want to try the "option" boot, to see if your System folder is still intact and usable. (Hold the Option key from right after you hit the power button) If it is, it'll appear as a volume to start from.

Lightbulb

If it does try to boot from the original hard drive, i would want to run Applejack's complete set of tools, or if you don't have Applejack, at least run what you can, fsck -fy and diskutil repairPermissions.

But I would never run TTP4 to optimize or defrag.

Quote Originally Posted by TZ
    But I would never run TTP4 to optimize or defrag.
    Me either, and I'm a TT fan. It's never done me wrong since I quit using NU5.

I never optimize files though. Only directories, and only on stuff I have backed-up.

Working with audio teaches you to simply backup, and initalize. Unless you like waiting for hours while the de-frag program loads those 50-100MB files into RAM, erases part of the drive, and writes 'em back.

Too slow, and risky IMHO.

Speaking of slow booting from a CD is also something I try to avoid. It's a last resort. I always keep a backup boot drive. Big time, file, and trouble saver.

That said if you still have trouble booting after running the previously mentioned utilities, and you were using TTP's "safety" feature perhaps it can scavenge your files off the drive. It's a very long process though, and if successful you'll need somewhere else to put 'em while you re-initialize your current drive.

Thumbs up

Would U believe that I have a QS which one day wouldn't boot from the HD no mo... It did (and does) boot from ext. FW & USB drives. Turned out, the ATA port had gone South.

Instead of a new mobo I got a Seritek PCI card, a few SATA HD's, and up & running it went. Ever since.

As a non-tecchie I have to pad myself for this rather elegant solution.

Lightbulb

BootCD 0.6.4 is Panther (10.3.9) only, but you can create a bootable CD or DVD and put all your utilities on it. That way it will also have the 3rd party utilities, your current system, and much more. BootCD for Tiger is still in beta development. One nice feature is it has a Finder.

It seems that running Disk Warrior before burning the CD/DVD helps a little. On my system, it takes longer to use the Option key to find systems, than to just boot from "C" key - it takes too long to search for valid systems even if there is only one, there are two SCSI controllers in my G4.

Did TTP4 tell you the ATA port was dead? We've been complaining that TTP can't do as good a job as memtest and MicroMat says they hope to do something in the future.

Another beef was, at least Symantec would warn you that they system you are repairing is newer than what Norton was tested with and that you don't have the latest version possibly. People have trashed their system using older versions. Maybe if it was TTP5 for Tiger it would be more obvious, but that didn't happen, either.

Default Help! Can't Boot from hard drive

I made the mistake of defragging with an older version of TTP.
    Not the newer version for Tiger. My dumb mistake.
    I tried to repair with Disk utility but it said it could not repair because of an error.
    What do I do now? Reinstall? or is there and easier safer fix?
    G4 dual 867 768 RAM
    OS 10.4

Shop for another drive. Setup Tiger on that.
    Then see what can be salvaged.
    You might try Disk Warrior (maybe TTP 4.0.5 but I wouldn't hold my breath) from there.

OK...
    I just tried booting in single user mode and I got a message...
    can't determine dependencies for sys call ext and
    Panic: we are hanging here....

What now?
    I guess I will have to do what you said and Install tiger on an extenal drive and try to start salvaging what I can.
    I have an external Firewire drive that I could use.
    I think I will try TTP 4.0.5 first..
    Has anyone used Drive Genius? Would that help?
    G4 dual 867 768 RAM
    OS 10.4

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Burleson
    I think I will try TTP 4.0.5 first...
    FIRST! I'd try Disk Warrior. If you're going to get into this kind of stuff DW is the #1 go-to utility. I have both DW and TTP4, and any volume DW couldn't recover wasn't subsequently recoverable with TTP4. One of DW's best features is that it won't make any changes to a volume's directory until you tell it to do so. It will attempt to rebuild the directory, and that can take a very long time, so be patient. If DW successfully finishes that process it'll ask if you want to replace the old directory with the new one, and it'll show you what changes will be made. It will also put the files on the Desktop and you have an opportunity to copy them someplace safe, before it makes changes. Utilities such as TTP4, while powerful, tend to get stuck in and make changes and then may find that they can't finish the job. Trouble is, the volume may have now been rendered irreparable by any utility short of a data recovery service ($K's!). By all means try TTP4, but try it second, after Disk Warrior.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Lightbulb

Randy,

You are 'new' around these parts, but we swear by Alsoft Disk Warrior - for years it has been a 'mantra' for rescuing and repairing. The only time it didn't was when a user didn't have enough free space to write a new replacement directory. A number of people have proved it works and 'testimonials' too.

I was actually happy when MicroMat came out with Drive10, but sad to see they no longer offer even that, which was just basic disk utility. But I would never use it either to optimize more than the directory. Takes too long.

MicroMat has incredibly talented people, as does Alsoft. And they proved excellent support on their forum to everyone and anyone.

When OS X was just coming out in 2000, a survey on MacFixit found DW was also the most popular and trusted utility. And it still is.

Only once did I have to use Norton. Otherwise, it causes problems and is not supported and is frequently sited as causing problems and kernel panics.

The first utility people turn to is the latest version of OS X Disk Utility. And after that, Disk Warrior.

The other 'mantra' is to have a couple backups. An emergency boot drive as well as a copy of your working system (and only update that when safe and before you update/upgrade/install anything new to your system - even a minor security update can wish you had a backup of your system).

If you only have FW drive, you could have one partition as a safe clean Tiger with just essential Apple updates, no 3rd party (except Applejack of course) and 'essential' software perhaps. And another partition to backup your files and maybe your system.

Internal hard drives for system, data, backup would be easy to do, there is room for at least three without taxing the computer.

Randy,

TZ is the professor 'round here, just check out his post count!

TZ, I agree with you about going first to DU in Tiger; would you care to cast your eyes over this.

Sorry Randy, don't mean to hijack your thread.

Dave.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Hey guys..
    Disk Warrior was unable to repair the drive. it was too badly damaged.
    However...
    Data Rescue by Prosoft Engineering really saved my bacon.

It was a rather lengthy process and I only had a few casualties..corrupted files..but it worked and I am back up and running now.
    Once I recovered my hard drive to my external FW drive. I erased and reinstalled Tiger from scratch on the hard drive and then copied over the user files and applications. Some applications were corrupted but I will reinstall those from disc anyway.
    I am singing the praises of Data Rescue X right now. It was able to save what would have been an otherwise hopeless situation. I highly recommend it
    G4 dual 867 768 RAM
    OS 10.4