Thread: Problem with ADS Pyro 1394 drive kit case

Default Problem with ADS Pyro 1394 drive kit case

Hi - I have a Pyro 1394 case for my ata drives. Currently I have (had) a Maxtor ata133 drive in there (160GB), I bought it (used of course) - just for backup. I've had for a few weeks and it worked without problems until a few days ago.

I hotplug it (is there a better way, such as starting up the computer with it?) and it mounts, but usually within a few minutes you hear a click (as if I dragged it to the trash) and it unmounts, but the icon stays at the desktop. Sometimes it happends in the middle of working (like today while running the etc/weekly script). Although I have only had it for a few weeks, it was fine until I popped a new drive in there (the maxtor 160gb). I just popped the 160gb drive back into my ADS 1394b drive kit, so I will make sure it's not the drive... but that is still a possibility at this moment.

In the event that it's the ADS case, can I simply replace the board? Does Gurus carry one to fit this?... Pics of the components can be seen at ...

http://pixelogik.com/board.jpg (almost 400k)
    http://pixelogik.com/out.jpg (220k)

I made large photos so you can see the detail of the board.

By the way, this happens in my G5 and my iBook.

Thanks so much!

Eric
    =======================
    MacPro 1,1 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM, 10.5

Eric,

Acording to ADS Tech, this is the controller:
    The chipset used in the Pyro 1394b Drive Kit (API-814) is the INIC-2430 chipset.

Now that must be an Initio bridgeboard here http://initio.com/products/14xx.htm#800 if I have your info correct. Which did you buy used? The Pyro or the drive? I'm not exactly sure. k

Tiger is a pain when it comes to FW. FW is a pain. Add the two together, major pain.

Wait for 10.4.3? haven't we been waiting for years?

In some situations, it is 48-bit large drive support that is an issue.
    Other cases, it is the bridge and firmware. Or power for large drives.

I think we have some universal cases and parts. Did you look in the FireWire Burly section build your own? Can't be sure it will be any better.

FW is probably safer under Panther. As for hot-swapping, not a big fan. If it is plugged in and turned on, yes.

I would try repairing the drive under 10.3.9 and Disk Utility plus Disk Warrior. And I would kill Tiger's Spotlight from ever touching a FW drive.

Wow... sorry, Kaye, I sould be more clear in my posts, the Pyro is what I bought used. According to ADS, the Pyro 1394 (not the 1394b) is not compatable with drives over 130GB, they go on to say that the drive will work, but you will only see 127GB of that drive. This was not the case, it was showing the entire capacity (158.xx GB), but kept unmounting.

Well, I pulled the maxtor 160GB out and put it in my Pyro 1394b, which I bought brand new, and it seemed fine for the several hours that I had it plugged into my iBook. Also, I placed a maxtor 80GB drive into the Pyro 1394 drive kit, the one that is in question, and so far it has been fine. I have had it mounted on my iBook now for several hours.

Case of possible incompatibility with the larger Maxtor drive? Or something, perhaps with the power consumption of the 160GB? By todays standards, a 160GB drive is average, I suppose it wasn't when the ADS 1394 kit came out.

I will keep monitoring, but for now I am to assume that the 160GB just isn't campatable with the 1394 case.

Thanks, Kaye and TZ, for your help.

Eric
    =======================
    MacPro 1,1 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM, 10.5

Eric,

The bridgeboard in the Pyro FW400 case must support ATA-6, large capacity drives. That is a second or third generation FW400 technology, I forget which. Anyway, that is the reason you are having problems with large drives in that Pyro case. k

It may "show" in Disk Utility and Profiler that it is a 160GB drive, yes, but not be able to handle it properly. It is quite possible that if you formatted it as 125GB, and had a second "partition" that was left as free space only, that you might get by.

The hfs extended volume(s) though all have to live within 128GB at best.

And some of the newest drives coming out, especially the larger models, are ATA-7.

Serious users should look into external SATA for storage, reliability, and performance.