Thread: G5 and AGP/PCI card conflicts

Lightbulb G5 and AGP/PCI card conflicts

Radeon 9600 sleep issue

Kevin Kirwan describes a bug with a Radeon 9600 video card in the Power Mac G5, fortunately resolved by an exceptionally good Apple Store "genius":

For months I have been experiencing the problem with my G5 waking from sleep with no video. I have a G5 Dual 2 Gb with a 20" Cinema display.

This problem had been getting worse, and I tried everything I found here on this site. I finally cracked and took it to the Genius Bar. After informing me I was 2 months out of warranty, he tried several things for 20-30 minutes including a Hardware test that turned up no problems. While restarting it to remove the disc and send me on the way, the "problem" occured!

Long story short, he worked on it further and found Apple has a documented hot issue (under CD issue) with the RV350/ATI Radeon 9600 Pro Video Card. He replaced it for free, and knock on wood I have once again been able to put m machine to sleep without worry.

Reported on MacIntouch

ATTO UL4D & 9600

William Frank] The ATTO UL4D is not the only ATTO SCSI card with G5 problems. I bought and subsequently returned an "unreturnable" Atto UL4S SCSI card, as being "Not fit for Purpose", because although the G5 still booted and it performed OK as a SCSI card with legacy external SCSI devices in my dual 1.8 GHz G5, it conflicted somehow with the OEM ATI 9600 card. All manner of video wierdnesses and lockups occurred and disappeared concident with whether or not the ATTO card was present.

- www.macintouch.com
    ρρρρρρρρρρρρρρρρρρρρρ

Just some of the fun things that can happen.

Default Just thought I would comment here...

Using a 9600 Pro 64MB (stock), Atto UL4S, and a Sonnet e4x4 in my Rev.A PowerMac 2.0GHz with no ill issues at all.

Sonnet e4x4 - Slot 4 / 133
    ATTO UL4S - Slot 3 / 100

I do not use deep sleep on any of my machines, more trouble and hardware abuse than benefit (imho).
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5