Thread: What's "Blue Book Value" of G4?

Lightbulb What's "Blue Book Value" of G4?

Not all models are listed, but an easy and fun way to see what resell value of various G4 models might be.

Not sure ebay is very accurate though

http://www.the-ish.com/g4value/index.php

"There is now a Value Guide, much like what NADA or Kelly Blue Book is for cars, for used Apple G4 Towers. The G4 Tower Value Guide asks you for the tower model and its specs, and then gives you a market value for your machine. The "value" represents the average ebay selling price for any given configuration, and it seems to be pretty accurate."
    http://macslash.org/

Default Blue Book Value

I just sold a G4 15.3" Ti PB 867 with 768 Ram on eBay for $1020. It was three years old and in excellent shape with no cosmetic blemishes. I had around 22 bidders and the bidding got serious in the last three minutes when it jumped from $750 to what it sold for.

Purchased a new G4 15.3" Ti PB 1.67 with 1Gig from MacMall. I have really enjoyed my G4 PB and am not getting off a winning horse. (yet?)

I also wonder what would be the acceptable reselling price. I want to buy a newer version but I don't know exactly how to sell my old one. I agree that ebay is not quite reliable in gauging market price.

Well prices have dropped substantially since this thread was started.

I paid $250 for my DA a couple years ago. I've seen one recently on craigslist for $200. If my current financial situation was better I likely would have snatched it up for a backup, but not tempting enough at that price. Under $200 I probably would have jumped on it. It was a 733.......

I'm not a fan of QS models. Seen too many with hardware issues. Gigabit, and earlier are good machines, but the processor placement sucks. Wouldn't consider one of those for more than $100 unless it had a lot of other goodies included.

MDD are still $400+ around here. Haven't seen an enticing deal on one of those yet. Yes they are fast as G4s go, but the good ones are usually priced accordingly, and well-used.

I have other priorities than old Mac towers in my budget right now.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

My 733 Digital Audio was IMHO the best OS 9 based Mac I ever owned. It never seemed to strain to do anything I asked.

I replaced it with a Dual 1.0 MDD... that was a mistake. That machine was hot and loud and always seemed like it was running on the ragged edge
    Damien,

Quote Originally Posted by macollector
    G4 667MHz, 1meg L3 Cache, 256megs ram, 40Gig HD, CD-R-RW, Nvidia 32meg AGP video, and the two USB and Firewire ports and the ethernet port.. $80.00 plus $35.00 shipping via FedX Ground.... I do paypal
    My friend bought this from the Guru's "For Sale Pages" February of last year..

Damien, who for the longest time was always on the bleeding edge, waxing nostalgic for a 733 DA and OS 9.

Seriously the 733 DA is a great machine when used within its limits. I still have mine, but it sits in a closest with any discs (I think I left the RAM inside). Just didn't seem worth it to sell it for pennies last year after the Giga Designs upgrade died and I replaced it with a couple of MDDs.

I guess it's a backup for my backup MDD.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Damien, who for the longest time was always on the bleeding edge, waxing nostalgic for a 733 DA and OS 9.

I got old....
    Damien,

I forgot to mention he had me install Leopard on his Hard drive and put it into the 667MHz DA. He says it works fine. It's used for basic small family photos, some music + iPod stuff but mostly an email and internet machine.