Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Drives Will Not Mount

The Open Firmware steps to reset nvram are easy and needed when changing controllers. If the drives show up, fine, but it is not hard or scary.

10.4.2 is better at repairing drives - but not available. Usually, when you try to repair and it can't, it will rerun a 2nd time.

Disk Warrior 3.03 would be worth trying to repair the disk.

found my way into Open Firmware, did the following:

0 > reset-nvram
    Press Return
    0 > reset-all
    Press Return

Computer restarted. Good.

Got the alternating ?file/Mac logo
    That's as far as it would go. Bad.

Booted off the Tiger DVD, went to choose my startup disk and it shows OS9.1 on the Maxtor 80GB but NOT OS X.

Hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by bobabbate
    I have not booted into Open Firmware yet. It seems like a dark, scary place to go unless I have exact, step by step instructions. I don't want to screw things up any more than it is.

Next? Do we try to fix the B-tree thing and get that drive to boot/mount? Do we futz with the open firmware stuff? I appreciate all the help.

bob,

OF is the darkest and scariest part of a Mac! Don't even go there without a guide. Nah! Just kidding! OF is a seriously powerful element of the Mac, but as far as I know (which ain't much) I don't think you can do any damage which can't be undone with an OF reset of NVRAM, which is what we're talking about anyway.

Fixing the b-tree thing is done with DU or DW, or any other utility which claims to be able to rebuild the drive's directory. One of DW's great features is that it won't rebuild anything until you ask it to do so. Some other utilities get stuck in, make some changes, and then cry "Uncle" because they find out that they can't complete the job. Meanwhile, said utility may have rendered the volume irreparable. Disk Warrior is still Number One, if only for that feature. If you can run DW and get the offending drive up on the Desktop, and you're able to copy your precious data to another drive, I'd suggest that you cut your losses and just zero that drive.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

OK, used DiskWarrior to rebuild the 80G drive. Completed the rebuild, replaced the directory, and restarted... in OS9.1! I saw the OS9 desktop come up, was the 80G drive, saw the 200g drive. The 200g disappeared before the computer finished starting up, then the computer froze. I pushed the restart button, it restarted, and did the same thing again. Restarted while holding down the SHIFT key to turn off )S9 extensions. The 80GB drive and the data on the 200GB drive seem to be OK. I just can't figure out how to get the computer to start from OSX on the 80gb drive. I went to the )S9 control panel and tried to choose OSX on the 80gb there, but it didn't show the OSX option on the 80gb drive. Suggestions? Thans again.

Just restarted from the Tiger DVD. Went to Startup Disk and there's no option to start from OSX, just 9.1. I'm feeling ill.

Just restarted from the Tiger DVD. Went to Startup Disk and there's no option to start from OSX, just 9.1. I'm feeling ill.
    And I'm getting confused! How many drives, and where? 2x250 in the external SATA Burly? 1x80 and 1x200 internal SATA? Anything on the native ATA bus?

With the drives and host card configured as you want them to be, OF reset of NVRAM, then initialize a drive, write zeros to it, and install OS X. If you have a newish large (>12GB) drive on the ATA bus I'd be inclined to remove it for now. If you have something kinda like stock on the ATA bus (e.g. 12GB Fireball) then I'd make the OS X install on that in the first instance. Why? Because in all the troubleshooting that's going on, any OF reset of nvram or simple zapping of PRAM will make the Mac look first for a boot volume on the ATA bus, so let's make it's life easy.

I really think that at some point you need to try a fresh OS install on a freshly zeroed drive, making it some kind of troubleshooting baseline, and from what I gather from the previous posts that hasn't happened yet. Forgive me if I'm misreading this.

I understand the confusion. The only 2 active drives right now are the 2 internal SATAs, 80gb and 200gb. The 2 Seagate 250s are in the Burly hotswap case, but that's not connected right now. This all started yesterday when I tried to do the following:

pull the SeriTek 2 port internal SATA card
    replace it with the SeriTek 4-port card (2+2)
    plug it all together and start it up.

That's where my trouble started. The server was working perfectly on Friday, and would not boot after I did what I listed on Saturday. So today I undid what I did yesterday and put the SeriTek 2port internal SATA card back in thinking that all would be OK. Foolish assumption on my part.

Is there any way to make the computer look to the 80gb drive for OSX? All it seems to be seeing is 9.1. I'd like to avoid having to reinstall the OS.

Or, if the ONLY way to go is to zero out the 80GB drive and reinstall the OS, should I install 10.3 (10.3.8 is on it now) or Tiger? Remember, this is a blue/white G3 350 Revision 1 with 256mb of RAM. It is only used to serve up the files on the 250GB drive. Thanks

Lightbulb

Try to keep it simple. Sorry if I am not real good at programming in people-speak steps.

You use to have OS X on the 80GB drive, but don't anymore it seems. Take that as a 'fact of life.' And it is faster to just archive and install to that drive.

Keep the 200GB drive and any other drives totally off-line until you do get OS X back up and running.

While in OS 9.1 you should, if OS X was ever there, see some of the folders and directories left behind (Applications, Library, System, and some others), if not - odd but what can anyone do at this point.

It is always better to have OS 9 and OS X on separate partitions, essential if you boot into OS 9.

If your data is all on the 200GB, if you don't have anything that needs to be saved from the 80GB, you can use Tiger DVD and partition it into 2-3 volumes: OS X 30GB, OS 9 10GB, and the remainder for downloads, work space, etc. That would be my choice.

Once that is working, try moving forward by hooking up one drive at a time.

It takes longer sometimes to "fix" a problem, if you can just 'start over.'

All of this is why I have multiple copies of OS X for booting - one on each drive. Multiple backups of data.

I would, at this point, settle on which card to use and put it in the video slot. It will improve performance and take less time to transfer files back and forth by a huge enough margin. Stick your video card in one of the other three PCI slots.

It would be nice to have more RAM, 512MB+, and to know that it isn't a problem.

Installing Tiger should take 15 minutes max. including time to erase or partition a drive (without zeroing the whole drive, otherwise add half an hour for 80GB).

Make a list if you want and walk through it on paper. That is what I need to do - and when I get into beta testing, I also pull out my hair, lose sleep, etc.

Once you do have OS X install - clone it. Make a copy to a disk image. Restore it to other drives. Put a 10GB system volume on each drive.

Let's see where this thread is now...

Lightbulb

I would go with Tiger. It runs better on the same hardware. And it has better support in most areas.
    And do combo update to 10.4.2 from the stand alone updaters.
    http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

When swapping controllers, there are steps that may need to be taken, and if not... nvram may become corrupted. Maybe it isn't written down. It should be. ATTO is the only vendor I know that does tell customers to do so. FirmTek has instructions now on swapping and upgrading SeriTek cards in a system.

G3/350 256MB rev 1 is about the bottom of what OS X - even Panther - should be expected to run on. A G3/900 and more RAM would help. But it should work.

Sounds like a reinstall of the OS is the way to go. The only thing I'd like to save somehow is all the network settings that allow the other Mac in the office to connect to this server (logins, passwords, settings, etc.) Is there a way?

Thanks for the partitioning suggestion.

So here's my list:

Shut down, unplug

pull the SeriTek card

pull the video card

insert the new SeriTek 2+2 card in the short slot

insert the video card in a long slot

plug in ONLY the 80GB drive

boot from the Tiger DVD

set up 40/30/10 partitions

install Tiger using Archive and Install

Then, if all goes according to plan, shut down and plug in the internal 200GB drive to the SATA board.

Wish me luck, I'll report back ASAP.

I'd like to avoid having to reinstall the OS.

Or, if the ONLY way to go is to zero out the 80GB drive and reinstall the OS, should I install 10.3 (10.3.8 is on it now) or Tiger? Remember, this is a blue/white G3 350 Revision 1 with 256mb of RAM. It is only used to serve up the files on the 250GB drive. Thanks

I understand your reluctance, but in this case I'd zero the drive and reinstall the OS. And I'd go with Panther 10.3.9 unless there is some pressing need to use Tiger. Download and use the 10.3.9 Combo updater.

For sure a 350 B&W is about minimum for Panther, but it does work, or at least it does on mine, so I don't think that's the issue here. I've used Acard ATA and SeriTek SATA host cards in my B&W and never had a problem. I think your problem has to do with the drive itself, and the only way to check that out is to zero the drive.

Right now I can't get the G3 on line because none of the old OS9 browsers are working. I have the original 3 Panther CDs. Once I install there I should be able to get online and download the updaters. But why not just use the Software Update control panel to download and install the update?

Lightbulb

Tiger is just one disk. Smaller update (go ahead and use SU but the combined update is nice to have and you can run them all together). Panther is 200MB+ of updates and can't see "going back." Tiger's better at a number of things, like repairing drives. Panther is almost two years old. Whichever is easier in the long run.

If you have a disk drive "handy" and want to try, then maybe use one of the Seagates and use Disk Utility Restore to copy the 80GB over to that before zeroing the drive etc. You can then merge those files you need, if possible, back to your system.

At least Tiger DVD has more options to change startup disk and other tools. Unless you have something that won't work in Tiger... most often, it takes some planning.

I did an upgrade (in place) from 10.3.9 to 10.4.0 right over the old setup without a hitch.

bob,

we crossed there. OK, Tiger if you want, but before you partition the 80GB drive; is this where your existing Users Folder resides? If so, you'll lose all those data if you partition the drive. You will need to make a backup of the 80Gb drive. If you have the 200GB drive available, you can use Disk Utility to Restore the 80GB drive to the 200GB. Get Info on the 200GB and make sure that the "Ignore ownership on this volume" box under "Ownership & Permissions" is unchecked. Then use DU to Restore your 80GB drive to the 200GB drive. After you've zeroed and partitioned your 80GB drive, you can Restore your OS from the 200GB drive. If you want Tiger, then you could Archive and Install.

HTH,

biggles.

Glitch - the SeriTek 2+2 won't fit in the video slot. It's longer than the 2-port internal card.

Surgury is so exciting. I see that there's an old SCSI card in here. Is there ANY reason not to remove it?

B - Can't restore to the 200, it has 6gigs of data on it that I want to keep there. Can I copy it to the 200 without erasing what's already on the 200? Or how about copying just the Users file from the 80 to the 200?
    Last edited by bobabbate; 09-04-2005 at 03:16 PM.

Lightbulb

Bob, check out the new thread PCI Controllers that has notes on SeriTek controllers as well as others.
    Glitch - the SeriTek 2+2 won't fit in the video slot. It's longer than the 2-port internal card.

B - Can't restore to the 200, it has 6gigs of data on it that I want to keep there. Can I copy it to the 200 without erasing what's already on the 200?

Surgury is so exciting. I see that there's an old SCSI card in here. Is there ANY reason not to remove it?
    A. The old SCSI card should NOT be in the video slot.
    Most every SCSI controller won't work properly or could be damaged.
    Why? because they won't work in a fixed 66 MHz slot which is what that is, and which SeriTek will work.
    The Adaptec 39160 and UL3S/D-66 models are the only ones I know of that will work in that slot.
    That could be part of your problems and conflicts.
    B. The card can safely hang out over the end of the slot. That is not an issue.
    C. Restore in Disk Utility "ADDS" - and as long as none of the folders have the same name should be fine.
    D. You could - from Tiger DVD - create a disk image on the 200GB drive, any size, and copy to there.

PS: Bob, could you list what you have in your B&W, as much as you know? was that SCSI card the only one? Do you know what it was and used for? Adaptec 29xx used for narrow drives and/or scanners?

you can always go to User Profile and add what machines you run and their configurations.

The SCSI card is in a regular (long) slot, not in the video slot. It is no longer used, it was for a SCSI CD burner that is now dead. Can I get rid of the SCSI card?

I was going to take your suggestion an put the new SeriTek in the video slot and move the video card to a long slot, but the SeriTek 2+2 card requires a long slot. That's all that's in there.

One more thing. Since I can't get OSX to run right now, I can't "Get Info on the 200GB and make sure that the "Ignore ownership on this volume" box under "Ownership & Permissions" is unchecked. Then use DU to Restore your 80GB drive to the 200GB drive." When I was in OS9, I copied the OSX Users folder onto the 200. If I install Tiger, can I then just copy the old Users file over the newly installed one?

Lightbulb

Can I get rid of the SCSI card?

Yes. And it can cause problems, if it hasn't already. And especially Tiger.

the SeriTek 2+2 card requires a long slot.

SeriTek cards are made for 33/66/100/133MHz - if it fits and slides into the slot, it is fine. The original card fit. And the 1V series fit in any slot.

One more thing. Since I can't get OSX to run right now, I can't "Get Info on the 200GB and make sure that the "Ignore ownership on this volume" box under "Ownership & Permissions" is unchecked.

When I was in OS9, I copied the OSX Users folder onto the 200. If I install Tiger, can I then just copy the old Users file over the newly installed one?

Yes. Some files such as /Users/accountID/Library/Preferences or cookies and keychain may need to be re-entered.

You may need to manually move files and folders back; or import; or use an OS X aware "smart" synchronize program.

If you created a .dmg file, and used Disk Utility to restore to the disk image, you would be fine. It is when you ERASE a volume that you may have to mess with the "Ignore Ownership" flag. When you partition a drive, it is usually fine; and it is always fine if you install OS X to a volume.

It is when cloning a volume that has OS X that you have to be most concerned.

Before and after running installers and updates, I assume you have gotten into the habit of Repair Permissions.

Once you have OS X up and installed, I like to see people install and use Applejack to help with maintenance or disk repairs. (See Troubleshooting and Tiger... off to dinner... best of luck). - TZ