Thread: Drives Will Not Mount

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Firewire Drives Will Not Mount

Hi all. I've got a blue & white G3 w/256mb of RAM. It has 2 internal SATA drive from Gurus, and they're rock solid. One drive has 10.3.9, the other is the file storage drive, mostly inDesign and Photoshop files. This Mac is strictly used to serve up the files on one of the internal drives, it is not used as a workstation.

Until today, I had a 200MB Western Digital external Firewire drive as a backup drive. I also had another 200MB WD drive with Firewire AND USB. We had a power outage the other night and now neither of the WD drives will mount via Firewire. I was able to get the combo drive to mount via USB, and the files on it are fine. This drive WAS NOT plugged into the G3 during the power outage, but it will not mount via firewire any longer, just like the other wd fw drive.

Three questions... first, what the hell happened? Second, how do I get the firewire drive to mount on the G3 again. Third, I think my love affair with Firewire is over. What kind of drives should I be using for my daily backups? I backup to one drive every night, and I have another drive that I keep off site that I back up to once a week. I use Retrospect for backups.
    Thanks in advance,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobabbate
    Three questions... first, what the hell happened? Second, how do I get the firewire drive to mount on the G3 again. Third, I think my love affair with Firewire is over. What kind of drives should I be using for my daily backups?
    Bob,

The B&W was the the first Mac with native Firewire ports and they are known to be problematical, so maybe it's a hardware problem. The usual solution to that is a PCI FW host card.

As for your 3 questions, some thoughts;

1. The power interrupt may have caused directory damage on the mounted FW drive, rendering it unmountable.

2. If that's what happened, Disk Utility may see it and you might try to Repair Disk. Disk Warrior (if you have it) is more likely to see it and be able to repair it.

3. Since you'd really need a PCI FW host card to continue with FW backups, whether or not your native FW ports are hosed, and you already have 2 internal SATA drives, you might consider the SeriTek/1SE2 and add a 2-bay Burly SATA Enclosure. If you don't have a spare PCI slot the 2+2 SATA card could achieve the same result.

biggles.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Biggles - thanks for your reply. I'd agree that the mounted FW drive my have been damaged, but I'm having the same problem with another FW drive that was not mounted at the time of the power blip. I like the idea of the hotswap SATA enclosures. I'll have to peek inside my G3 to see where we are with available spots to hook 'em up. Would still like to get those FW drives working again though.

I just don't know nvram inter-operates with FireWire, so I'm shooting in the dark here. The B&W can't boot from a FireWire volume, but later Mac's can, so FW must be involved in the boot process somewhere, and that somewhere would be nvram I guess. Perhaps a reset of PRAM or an OpenFirmware reset of nvram might help.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Lightbulb

I won't go into why, but B&W FW ports go out on 95% of users eventually. If you don't have a G4 Yikes to G4 PCI that uses similar chip, you will have to use PCI FW, or pull the drives and use them internally. but, because of the size, you'd need PCI ATA controller.

The ROM and Open Firmware but also the chip that was used in the B&W limit booting. XPostFacto 4.05 may be able to boot from FW, but that would still require a working FW port/chip, which seems to be DOA or fried.

You can only have one SATA type controller, so the 2+2 would make sense long term: able to boot etc. and put in the 66MHz (short video slot) for best performance as well. You could use a SATA <-> PATA adapter for now if you do go SATA route.

Can I also interest you - no help now - but to invest in an adequate and reliable UPS - to avoid the potential damage and costs, as well as lost drives etc.

Took your advice of a few weeks ago. I purchased the Burly 2-bay hot-swap SATA enclosure and a pair of Seagate 250's. Pulled my SeriTek 2 drive internal card. Installed the SeriTek 2+2. Connected the SATA card to the 2 esixting internal SATA drives (Maxtors, a DiamondMax Plus 9 80GB and a Diamond Max Plus 9 200GB). Tried to start up and got the alternating file folder/Mac symbol a few times, then the grey screen with the Apple logo an the spinner under it. That's it, it wouldn't go any further.

So, I pulled the 2+2 and reinstalled the original SeriTek card, hooked up the drives to it and tried to start. Success, except that only the 80GB (that's the startup drive) would mount. The 200GB drive does not appear on the desktop any longer. The drive show up in Disk Utility, but it is grayed out.

What happened? Why didn't my computer work with the 2+2 in it? And most importantly, how do I get my 200GB drive to mount with the original SeriTek card that is now back in the computer?

Thanks.

Confused SATA Drive Will Not Mount!

I purchased the Burly 2-bay hot-swap SATA enclosure and a pair of Seagate 250's. Pulled my old SeriTek 2 drive internal card. Installed the SeriTek 2+2. Connected the SATA card to the 2 esixting internal SATA drives (Maxtors, a DiamondMax Plus 9 80GB and a Diamond Max Plus 9 200GB). Tried to start up and got the alternating file folder/Mac symbol a few times, then the grey screen with the Apple logo an the spinner under it. That's it, it wouldn't go any further.

So, I pulled the 2+2 and reinstalled the original SeriTek card, hooked up the drives to it and tried to start. Success, except that only the 80GB (that's the startup drive) would mount. The 200GB drive does not appear on the desktop any longer. The drive show up in Disk Utility, but it is grayed out.

What happened? Why didn't my computer work with the 2+2 in it? And most importantly, how do I get my 200GB drive to mount with the original SeriTek card that is now back in the computer?
    Last edited by TZ; 09-04-2005 at 07:14 AM.

Lightbulb

Whenever swapping out controllers, you have to rebuild the device tree, clear nvram, as well as other steps possibly, so the system will properly recognize the old SeriTek is gone and load the correct information.

When you change PCI cards, nvram needs to change, the startup disk will be "different" and either boot from Tiger/Panther DVD, or use the Option key to look for boot drive(s), or have FW drive handy. Something.

Maxtor DM9 were ATA drives with SATA bridge. Not sure if there were any problems except older technology and not native SATA.

SCSI controllers are also tested and qualified to work with various drive models. I know people assume any disk drive will work, and usually will, but it isn't always a given. ACard use to list what drives and models they had tested and confirmed to work.

It may be as simple as booting into Open Firmware,

> reset-nvram
    > set-defaults
    > reset-all

Then use Option key or boot from "C" and optical drive.

Quote Originally Posted by TZ
    Whenever swapping out controllers, you have to rebuild the device tree, clear nvram, as well as other steps possibly, so the system will properly recognize the old SeriTek is gone and load the correct information.

When you change PCI cards, nvram needs to change, the startup disk will be "different" and either boot from Tiger/Panther DVD, or use the Option key to look for boot drive(s), or have FW drive handy. Something.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Can someone please post step by step instructions on how to do this?

Lightbulb

Follow the link to Troubleshooting Guide. It is all there.

To boot into Open Firmware you hold down four keys on startup:
    Command + Option + o + f

To understand the whole boot routine: Booting Mac OS X

I thought putting the commands there would be enough., :-(

Thanks. I followed the link in your Troubleshooting Guide to Apple's instructions on "How to Reset PRAM and NVRAM:. Did the Command-Option-P-R procedure. Now when I start I get the alternating ?file/Mac logo screen for 15 sec, then the grey screen with the Apple logo and the spinner. It will go no further. Next step?
    Thanks,
    Bob

Lightbulb

Have you tried with just one Seagate 250? Either internal or external?

I wouldn't trust any of your drives in case they have damaged directory or boot blocks for now. I would put the SeriTek in the 'short' 66 MHz PCI slot usually reserved or used for video card. You'll get better I/O, you only take a small 10% hit on your video. Huge difference in performance.

... where this saga began:
    Quote Originally Posted by bobabbate
    Hi all. I've got a blue & white G3 w/256mb of RAM. It has 2 internal SATA drive from Gurus, and they're rock solid. One drive has 10.3.9, the other is the file storage drive, mostly inDesign and Photoshop files. This Mac is strictly used to serve up the files on one of the internal drives, it is not used as a workstation.

Until today, I had a 200MB Western Digital external Firewire drive as a backup drive. I also had another 200MB WD drive with Firewire AND USB. We had a power outage the other night and now neither of the WD drives will mount via Firewire. I was able to get the combo drive to mount via USB, and the files on it are fine. This drive WAS NOT plugged into the G3 during the power outage, but it will not mount via firewire any longer, just like the other wd fw drive.

Three questions... first, what the hell happened? Second, how do I get the firewire drive to mount on the G3 again. Third, I think my love affair with Firewire is over. What kind of drives should I be using for my daily backups? I backup to one drive every night, and I have another drive that I keep off site that I back up to once a week. I use Retrospect for backups.

Thanks in advance,
    Bob
    And here we are today.

Now, not having your hardware in the .sig line makes it harder. Having to go back to message #1 I see part of why.

My big mistake. The B&W can't use Option key (and I assumed it was a newer system). You had a power outage. There is only a minimal amount of RAM, 256MB. Even that could go in a power outage. A UPS should be required - they are indespensible. Like backups. RAM should be SDRAM of 125MHz 8 nanosecond; or PC133 of the right density of chips for 256MB.

Can't put 200GB drive internal without an ATA controller. But more useful on B&W which can't boot from FireWire.

10.1 - would never let it touch a drive, unless in dire straights. If you are running 10.3.9, where is the CD? If you get a chance, use BootCD to create an emergency CD with Disk Utility and Disk Warrior on it. Or Tiger DVD.

Always useful to have an ATA drive to boot from, something 128GB or less, on the native IDE bus (unless this is a "rev 1" B&W, in which case you NEED a controller to avoid data corruption).