Thread: New Burly Box - questions

Default New Burly Box - questions

Ok - I need help. My system stats - G5 dual 1.8, 1gig ram.... OSX.4.2
    Burly 3 Bay SATA Kit, Seritek/1VE4 SATA card, and Seagate 7200.8 barracuda 400 gig drives ..only 2 of them right now... will add another later as needed.

I built the Burly Box last night (pretty good on-line directions... but there are lots of 'extra wires' in the box that sorta scare me, and getting the SATA card into the PCI -X 133 slot #4 was REALLY hard)... anyway - its up and running.

So I need to know a few things:

1) Is port 4 the 'best slot for the card? I do not have any other PCI cards (just the standard video card).

2) Can I leave the drives off and just turn them on when I need to, or do I need to turn them on when the computer is powered down?

3) Can I turn the bruly box off while the computer is on?

4) can I put the whole thing to sleep?

newb - but

Default Some answers...

1) Is port 4 the 'best slot for the card? I do not have any other PCI cards (just the standard video card).

- - port 4 is the only PCI-X 133 slot and is best suited for any SATA controller.

2) Can I leave the drives off and just turn them on when I need to, or do I need to turn them on when the computer is powered down?

- - You can power on drives (with the PowerMac already running). With the Firmtek you get visual confirmation on the screen that the SATA drive has been connected.

3) Can I turn the bruly box off while the computer is on?

- - sure, only if the drives have been unmounted

4) can I put the whole thing to sleep?

- - sleep, ah sleep.. I think sleep causes more trouble than its worth. I set my PM to low power, and never use sleep. Many routines are performed by the OS during the night hours and just have seen too many issues with sleep mode. When running high end tasks, or needing the extra boost then bump up the performance to high.

I also leave my computers (sans notebooks) run 24/7. This is a personal preference. I feel the constant start-up / shut-down causes more wear and tear than just leaving them on. The 2.0 RevA in signature has been on since Oct. 2003.
    Last edited by rguising; 08-17-2005 at 04:08 PM.
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

Thumbs up rguising, good answers

Deep Sleep can be an issue, in my opinion I would never set a Mac to DS if there are drives (controlled by a SCSI or SATA card) mounted on the desktop.

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

re: question #2) can I turn the bourly box on even if the computer is already on?

not sure I understand your answer..

thanks - looks like no SLEEP for me

Default I misread your question.

fixed
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

The Seritek is fully hotswap capable. Just like a Firewire device you can power it up with the computer running. Just be certain to dismount the drive(s) before powering it down.

All those extra wires are just that, extra. Just ignore them.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

ex-Cupertino, CA, USA. Now HU+SRB (Europe).

Quote Originally Posted by ricks
    The Seritek is fully hotswap capable. Just like a Firewire device you can power it up with the computer running. Just be certain to dismount the drive(s) before powering it down.

All those extra wires are just that, extra. Just ignore them.

Rick
    Actually - the whole thing exactly as Rick described - would work with any hot-swappable card if the card without the drives does support sleep. So if you are using even some weirdo card, just dismount the drives first and put the machine to sleep afterwards.

I do see on xlr8yourmac.com, people are reporting deep sleep on different cards being fixed/broken with each different OS release. The deep sleep routine in a PCI card is ridiculously small and easy to do. I am not aware, card manufacturers out of sudden begun hiring high school interns as junior driver engineers. If could be OS but also there could be unsuspicious third-party devices (once we had a third-party wireles mouse being found guilty as charged).