Thread: Just ordered...

Default Just ordered...

Hi there,

Finally, I just ordered yesterday the 7AD-1800U for my G4. Thanks Gurus for the major price drop.
    I have a 2001 Quicksilver single 867MHz and the Giga card is one of the last upgrades I need. Now the tricky part. Boot ROM. I never updated the Firmware since I purchased the machine and I guess I need it now in order to use the upgrade card. I still have boot ROM 4.2.5f1. The Apple website that relates to the 4.2.8f1 upgrade kind of uses the earlier versions of G4's to demonstrate the update. Is there a difference in applying this update on my QS or do I proceed the same way?
    Any other precausion I have to take before I accellerate my G4 into the 21st century? I really look forward to that upgrade, and I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks.
    Uli

Howdy,

According to this chart, Quicksilvers don't need a firmware update, which explains why you have never done one.

But we have to remember that these listed firmware updates are by Apple for unmodified Macs. If your machine needs a firmware update to run the Giga CPU, then Giga will supply it, along with the install instructions. The process is essentially the same as one of the Apple supplied firmware updates, but always follow the manufacturer's instructions.

This is true with many of the current CPU upgrades regardless of brand by the way, as the newer CPUs (such as the '57 and '47a) were never offered by Apple for any of the towers or Cubes, so they need to have a firmware update to work in these older machines
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks UncleMac.

the upgrade I ordered uses the 7447A chip. So I guess I need it. Anyway since Giga will supply it, I wait until the box has arrived. Just a quick question. Does the firmware updater supplied from Giga require OS 9.x like the Apple one? I do not have a working OS 9.x partition anymore, and only if it is really really needed I would install it. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Uli

My first thought is yes OS 9 is required, but I am not sure. If nobody here has a quick answer, I can dig it up.

If it is required to have a boot drive running OS9, one way or another we will get you updated. There is always a way....
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default OS 9 not required

Hey UncleMac,

I just received the Giga upgrade from MacGurus.
    I read throught the firmware updater manual, to find that it is OS X compatible only. Hope this helps other users who will upgrade in the furture.

--Uli

Good. That's what I was hoping to see...but was unsure as I have only done firmware update through OS 9 myself. Keep us informed how the update and install goes.

Enjoy.