It's a rev.1! Woohoow!

anyway here's why I did

$150
    Powerlogix G4/550
    Airport PCI Card (unknown)
    ATI Radeon 7000
    448 MB RAM
    SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-208B:

The problem that was occuring is that importing from a audioCD doesn't happen. What occurs is that it starts importing Track1 and then just before the gauge of importing track 1 is complete, the importing stalls. Most of the time - not always - do I get an eternal spinning beachball, but iTunes doesn't crash. Other than that I wouldnt get cd's to boot. Plain grey screen after I reboot holding the C button and then nothing.

I figured this might be the CD burner that doesnt do his job properly.
    Soooo, I have this other burner from my other computer that I had in Europe which is a Ricoh MP7200A. It came with a firewire enclosure but what I did was replace the Samsung with the Ricoh inside the B&W - everything connected fine and the Ricoh fired up OK.
    The Ricoh gets recognized by iTunes, Toast and the Finder but NOT by Patchburn3, of all software!
    Now, I was right about the cd burner-itunes problem -> Importing CD's now is a breeze with the Ricoh

I burned a .toast file of the panther install disc earlier on - it boots until the "preparing for installation" window comes on. Then the stripy gauge keeps going forever. something between 10-15 minutes and then I figure it wont go from there so I reboot onto the hard drive again. Is this gut feeling of mine that is good I wonder. 10-15 min. is too long, right?

Now, I wonder why the booting doesnt go further than just that preparing for installation window. Is the fact that Patchburn doesnt recognize the burner correlated with that? Is there a specific procedure of burning the bootcd that needs to be followed (what I did was simply drag the .toast file as a mac volume)? Is it maybe some nasty rev.1-ness?

I searched the Ricoh website, versiontracker, I googled MP7200A for mac, for OSX, ...no drivers to be found. For mac, that is.

I hope I didnt overdo the background of the story its not for drama purposes

Thank you for reading,

Kevin

Rolleyes Could also be a RAM issue

Hello Kevin,

go to http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drived....drivedb.lasso
    select CDRW and choose Samsung or Ricoh there are some reports for the 208 and the 7200.

You'll need Patchburn only if you want to burn CD's from the Finder but you have Toast already and that is a lot better, I think.

Patchburn is mainly for iDVD support on unsupported DVD writers.

The problem you have while booting could be a RAM issue.

Had the same problem with a B&W. When I was trying to install the OS, the Mac froze each time on different points. I replaced the RAM and everything went fine.

Take a look here:
    Memory Reference

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Lightbulb

You can trash any 64MB SDRAMs you have for starters.

I used the Combo drive from MDD and it works great. Creating bootable copies should work, but you should use DU Restore, AND, make sure that "Ignore Ownership" is OFF before copying to the .dmg.

The easy way is to Restore the DVD to a bootable disk volume and run from there, should take less than 10 minutes (if you have some good fast disk drives).

You'll also run into data corruption w/o PCI card if using newer faster ATA drives, even without trying to use slave drive.

www.xlr8yourmac.com/g3-zone/

Also run DIMM First Aid.

Sounds like a good deal.

Would strongly second what TZ said: you should get a controller - SATA or PATA. Well worth the money for data security and the speed bump.

Worst case scenario you may want to buy a known Apple compatible (bootable) optical drive, if you cannot resolve your issue with the Samsung or Richo. The combo drives are pretty cheap now, if you know where to look.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas
    Hello Kevin,

go to http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drived....drivedb.lasso

The problem you have while booting could be a RAM issue.

Had the same problem with a B&W. When I was trying to install the OS, the Mac froze each time on different points. I replaced the RAM and everything went fine.

I ran the memtest, but I got this error but then everything was like chinese to me. I then found that GUI version which is Rember and clicked test which said everything was OK.

Quote Originally Posted by TZ
    You can trash any 64MB SDRAMs you have for starters.
    What exactly do you mean? Do they cause problems by default? Anyway, I pulled the 64 out of the computer (three others are 128MB-> different types btw, one is a samsung that much I can see), and I still have the same bootissues.

I used the Combo drive from MDD and it works great. Creating bootable copies should work, but you should use DU Restore, AND, make sure that "Ignore Ownership" is OFF before copying to the .dmg.
    I didn't copy anything to .dmg. What I did was fire up toast, then click mac volume in the left area of the toast window under "advanced", then dragged my panther installdisc.toast file into the file area and clicked burn.

So if you are talking about DU restore, "Ignore ownership" and "copying to the .dmg" are you talking about toast?

The easy way is to Restore the DVD to a bootable disk volume and run from there, should take less than 10 minutes (if you have some good fast disk drives).
    I have no DVD drives or discs actually

You'll also run into data corruption w/o PCI card if using newer faster ATA drives, even without trying to use slave drive.
    I hate to ask all these Newbish questions but the way it looks now is that the rev.1 data corruption issue also has to do with optical drives?

www.xlr8yourmac.com/g3-zone/
    Thank you..INFO-overkill :-D
    Also run DIMM First Aid.
    I only found one that works under OS9 which I dont have

So basically I dont want to buy a ATA card ($70 for an adaptor??) unless I really have to. Im on a tite budget and I dont really need the speedbump.

What are the combo drives that the apples came with then and that will work under rev.1 ATA?

Thanks very much guys for the elaborate help so far

Kevin
    Powermac G5 1,6 Ghz 1,25 ram 10.4.11 80+200GB Maxtor

Of course Ideal would be that I get decent RAM (2x OWC 256mb=$100), and a ATA controller card ($70) and then another decent combo drive (around $30) but then the whole idea of this computer being a bargain vanishes....

So something else I just tried is get rid of all the RAM module except for the brand one (the samsung), still same thing while trying to boot.

Now, another thing is the reason why I want to do all this is, nr.1 Just to get to know my computer a lil bit, but also the person I bought it from left his install of panther on it and its always nice to have your own fresh one.

However, I have an old panther install under my name on the lacie (from the days when I used to have panther install CDs). Now the B&W doesnt boot from the firewire, but is there a way I can copy the install from the lacie on to the internal drive? (I've always tried to understand that stuff about image/mount/mirror thing, but that was always chinese to me)

Thanks again
    Powermac G5 1,6 Ghz 1,25 ram 10.4.11 80+200GB Maxtor

Question A PRAM zap or Open Firmware reset

Read these Apple KB docs here and here for instruction. - Randy

Lightbulb

I have a raging headache today and will be offline probably but...

All 64MB SDRAM was/is 10 nanosecond. Too slow for B&W's 100 MHz bus especially with OS X and/or running with a G4 cpu, or OS 9+.

If you don't have OS 9 installed, then memtest 4.1.1 is your best bet. Rember can't test as much but is run from the terminal. just readme and drag to terminal window.

OWC has never had good quality SDRAM. Much of the 128MB SDRAM is also 10 ns. You do realize we sell inexpensive 256MB SDRAM? $49 last I looked.

I'd say get a Mac Mini or PowerMac G4. You will need a PCI ATA controller, some memory. Tiger comes on DVD and a combo drive would let you install w/o trouble. Great OS.

Default "What TZ said!"

If you can get most of your money out of the B&W and get yourself a Mini you will be well ahead in the long run.