Thread: Want to throw my Sonnet 4x4 card out the window

Default Want to throw my Sonnet 4x4 card out the window

Hi all,
    I have the sonnet 4x4 card, and it is making me mad. First let me say that if I ever put my computer to sleep when it goes to start up again, it shuts off. Then I have to reset the card to get the drives back on line. (Frustration)
    So what I would like to do is just use my FW 800 drives for my main storage, out side of the 2 SATA drives on my G5, and then use the Granite Digital SATA box as back up. However, I do not know if there is a way to convert my Cudda SATA drives for the FW 800 port. If any one knows any fix to get SATA to FW 800 I would appreciate it.
    Thanks
    Tony

ex-Cupertino, CA, USA. Now HU+SRB (Europe).

Tongue

Quote Originally Posted by tspore
    Hi all,
    I have the sonnet 4x4 card, and it is making me mad.
    Tony
    Please don't throw at me. I am innocent, I did NOT write the drivers and Sonnet did venture into SATA driver business alone, somewhat underhanded way breaking a long relationship. Long story short, you can try the SeriTek/1VE4 (unless you have older Hitachi drives). MacGurus and we will try to support you if you have problems.

George is the wrong guy to answer questions on Sonnet cards, he doesn't make any money on them Poor guy.

What computer model? What OS? Are you running the latest 1.2 version firmware on the Sonnet card? Have you tried not sleeping your computer? Sleep is probably the number 1 cause of data corruption and drive failure. All that spin up and spin down just causes wear and tear and has no benefits. Accessing data on a cold drive that is only partly spun up is guarantee that data gets damaged. We never ever sleep a drive or computer here, not even our powerbooks. Only a monitor gets a break.

In answer to your question, yes. We now have in stock a cool little hotswap FW800 enclosure that has either SATA or ATA trays for it. Pretty nice box. Runs around $144 each.

Rick
    Last edited by ricks; 08-18-2005 at 12:19 PM. Reason: I was being redundantly repetitive
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

ex-Cupertino, CA, USA. Now HU+SRB (Europe).

Quote Originally Posted by ricks
    George is the wrong guy to answer questions on Sonnet cards, he doesn't make any money on them Poor guy.
    Rick
    The main reason I could not withhold this one is because several times we were asked by people who bought a card not made by us to provide tech. support. Today not all roads lead to Rome and not all ATA / SATA cards lead to us either. You know well, we never refused to provide tech support for customers who bought 4+4 and did ask our help believing, it's ultimately our product - but it did look for me a bit... bizarre. As for the rest, indeed, it does not belong here - my bitternes spoke which is probably not a good adviser. I intend to keep the (even more bizarre!) details between involved as long as possible with the hope, one day what was destroyed can be also re-built.

Damn that's a nice looking box Rick, and cheap too. Where do you come up with this stuff?

I really need to get out more.